Saturday, August 18, 2018

Dislocated Left Shoulder and Agony, Georgetown Hospital Emergency Room Visit, and Forceful but Hugely Alleviating Shoulder Reduction, Round 2

**This entry was posted August 18th, 2018.**

As with my initial entry on my dislocated shoulder, this entry contains a series of topically-unrelated but (what I think are) lovely images, in this case, various seaside and ocean surf ones. I've posted some previously while others are new.

The images are uncaptioned, so if you are interested in any of them, click on / download them since the file name gives you the info (except for one "generic" but stunning one of crashing ocean waves).


A second left shoulder dislocation, a second trip to the Georgetown Hospital emergency room, and a second shoulder reduction (the name given to when your shoulder is "relocated" into its proper position), with the procedure performed by the same in-residence doctor while the same supervising doctor watched (although the medical orderly was different), not to mention X-ray imaging (although these were only taken afterward since the dislocation was so obvious) …

And, yes, more excruciating pain followed by tremendous relief, except this time, I'm so afraid of another "popping out" dislocation that I will be wearing the sling for a full week, minus those times when I'm just quietly seated and typing with no other arm motion (such as now).

That was my Saturday.

So, last night, I met Fred upstairs at Annie's after a shortened day at work and a couple extra hours of teleworking from home. We had a nice time and left together, walking home (we live in neighboring buildings). I was home by 10:30 p.m., watching MeTV reruns of Hogan's Heroes and Carol Burnett & Friends, but not Perry Mason, as I was too tired and just went to bed.

The trouble began at about 5:15 a.m., when I got up and went into the kitchen. I opened the refrigerator door with my left hand, and the angle at which I did it -- WHAM! -- it felt as though jolt of electricity went through me in that I felt all giggly and a massive surge of pain. I fell to the floor.

Over the next hours, I tried to massage the arm / shoulder and was convinced I hadn't "re-dislocated" it since I could move my arm much more than on Monday. However, by 7 a.m., it had deteriorated with the pain increasing -- and I had that same crooked look when I stood in front of a mirror. I soon surmised I needed to return to the ER.

I texted Fred around 7:30 a.m. to see if he had headed over to the Fort Totten garden plot that he and Doug maintain this time of year. He had not. I asked him to get me an Uber around 8 a.m. to Georgetown Hospital and I would pay him.

Instead, he drove me there -- after dropping off Doug in the GWU / Foggy Bottom district at his place of employment for some Saturday work (to make up missed time).

I should note that as I got ready -- in massive pain -- I could see that the shoulder had dislocated again. You can see how the top of the arm sort of "hangs" off the shoulder like one of those punching bags with the sand all in the bottom. With that as the context, I got to Georgetown ER around 9 a.m.

The waiting room was empty but for one old Jewish guy (well, he had on a yarmulke). The TV was tuned to CNN and going on about, what else, Donald Trump. I was seen almost immediately -- this time, I was in "room" 2 (a partition separated by retractable curtains -- but I still had to wait 30 to 40 minutes (in agony) for a shot of fentanyl and the actual "reduction" procedure, which this time felt even more violent and the "relocation" (reduction) itself even more dramatic.

The ER was busier than it looked (I guess that's almost always the case). In the partition next to me was a 95-year old Chinese lady who had fallen in the bathroom and, coincidentally, had injured her left shoulder, although it might have been more her left side. I gleaned all this from her caregiver, who never left her side and spoke to her, comforted her. It was quite remarkable.

It was about 11:30 a.m. when I left. (Again, I was not given any specific painkiller meds. It seems like there is a push to limit those these days given the opioid health crisis in this country.)

I ended up walking home to 16th and U NW -- via Georgetown, where I stopped for lunch at Sovereign, and then stopped for a bit at Mr. Smith's and Ri Ra. I wore the sling while walking but was able to take it off while eating / sitting, although I was (am) extremely self-aware. I made it home by about 6:30 a.m.

So that was my day.

The weather today was mostly cloudy, summery warm, and so damn humid. Highs were around 90F and dew points about 70F. Showers and thunderstorms were in the forecast all day but nothing happened.

OK, I'm going to end this entry. For now, I plan to watch the MeTV Saturday night super sci-fi lineup.

Oh, and by the way, I think I will be undertaking some sort of legal action as a result of what happened on Sunday night. I have to do so.

Consider, I am in the process of incurring thousands and potentially tens of thousands of dollars in emergency room and other, upcoming medical expenses (possibly a shoulder surgeon and almost certainly orthopedic / physical therapy) even while experiencing multiple bouts of excruciating pain and likely months of disruption to my life (including even to my job).

What's more, given that I was a victim of borderline aggravated assault, I am just not going to let it drop as if nothing happened, and this is irrespective of the outcome of the police report I've already filed. And it is also irrespective of whatever smear campaign might be undertaken as a defense.

OK, that's all for now. My plan is to post a Jukebox Saturday Night entry a bit later and, possibly, an antecedent Saturday Evening Post (since I don't consider this entry a "Saturday Evening Post" in any sense of that word, as if this is ordinary).


No comments: