Tuesday, October 3, 2017

In Lieu of Writing a Very Difficult and Draining Entry about What Happened in Las Vegas, Here's a 230AM Brief Personal Update with Sunday Pics

Colorful toy pinwheel outside the True Value on 17th hardware store, 17th Street NW, Washington, D.C., 2:37PM October 1, 2017.

I took the pictures in this entry on Sunday while walking from my apartment down to the Lincoln Memorial and thence over to Washington Harbour in Georgetown, where I stopped at Tony & Joe's outdoor restaurant. Later, I had dinner at Mr. Smith's before walking back to Logan Circle, where I stopped at a crowded No. 9 and then at Trade before heading home.

*******

Sidewalk of the 1600 block S Street NW, Washington, D.C., 2:33PM October 1, 2017.

It was an exceptionally sunny day with low humidity and almost no clouds. Highs were around 70F (71F at KDCA) and the dew point about 47F. There was a northeasterly breeze, though, that made it feel cool in the shade, and it got a bit chilly by dusk.

*******

Sigh.

I fully intend to post an entry about the horrific mass shooting -- basically, a domestic terrorist attack -- late Sunday in Las Vegas that claimed at least 59 people and injured well over 500 others, some critically, attending a packed country music concert in the worst such incident in American history.

A plant with large leaves, 1600 block S Street NW, Washington, D.C., 2:33PM October 1, 2017.

I think it is an elephant ears plant, but I'm not sure.

*******

However, it is already midnight and I just don't have the mental and spiritual wherewithal to post that kind of entry -- replete with two dozen or so images that I captured from various online news accounts, some really horrible -- and to have it segue into a necessary conversation about America's deeply sick relationship with firearms and related deeply warped political culture.

It's all just too much to think about right now -- and watching all day long, as I did, the terrible phone footage from so many people certainly did help matters. For some reason, I was quite transfixed by the whole situation in a way that I am not usually in these familiar mass shooting spasms in this damn country. 

Row houses on the north side of the 1600 block S Street NW, Washington, D.C., 2:33PM October 1, 2017.

*******

That being the case, I'm just going to post a brief personal update.

I'm up -- having already made and eaten a late dinner -- watching the late night MeTV line-up including Perry Mason, The Twilight Zone ("The Sixteen-Millimeter Shrine"), and two episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents ("The Party Line" and "Cell 22). I'm not sure whether I like Alfred Hitchcock Presents or not. I've gotten to really like Perry Mason, though.

Trees on the National Mall near the Vietnam Memorial, Washington, D.C., 3:28PM October 1, 2017.

*******

Earlier tonight, I went to the gym where I had a decent multi-part workout. This followed a distracted day at work (because of the aforementioned terrible event).

It is peaceful here in my little lamp-lit apartment at this late hour with the window air conditioner humming. I'm going to go to bed shortly -- as soon as I finish this entry -- and I'll put on my box fan. I just like all that whirling, whooshing white sound in a breezy, cool darkness while under the covers with that whole plush menagerie (heavy on hippos and monkeys) that I have. 

Tour bus across the Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C., 3:36PM October 1, 2017.

The lady featured -- thrice -- in the RumChata ad looked like one of those 1940s movie stars, at least the way her hair was done up and the bathing suit she was wearing.

*******

For tomorrow, I'm planning again on going to the gym after work. I'll "take off" from the gym Wednesday night instead. Also, I have my endoscopy procedure scheduled for Friday early afternoon at Georgetown Hospital, so I'm taking off work that day.

Oh, yes, I had a somewhat cryptic message from my health insurance provider that SOUNDED as though there was a resolution of the ginormous bill from June 2016 with GWU Hospital TOTALLY in my favor, but I'm reluctant to actually check ...

A little plush toy steer and the Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C., 3:36PM October 1, 2017.

I would have made this picture the lead one, but it sort of followed from the one directly above it. You see, this picture is of the view in precisely the opposite direction (a few steps away) from the image above it (of the bus with the large RumChata advertisement on it).

*******

The weather was again sunny and dry with highs around 74F and dew point about 54F. There are some suggestions of a change in the pattern by the weekend with at least a chance of rain showers.

OK, that's all for now. I'll try to post my intended entry tomorrow night about what happened in Las Vegas. Until then, I'm signing off.

Good night. May the rest of this week be just a quiet and uneventful one. For everybody.

--Regulus

No comments: