Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Saturday Evening Post for May 16th, 2015: Hanging with the Straight 20-Somethings (and Some Other Stuff)

**This entry was posted May 16, 2015. / Updated 10:38AM May 17, 2015 (see below).**

The intersection of New Hampshire Avenue and 15th Street NW and the grounds of the Wakefield Hall building, 6:26PM May 16, 2015.

It was raining heavily at this point and that "whoosh" blur was from a rain drop.

*******

As a brief update ...

Yesterday, after work I went solo to the Black Rooster for a couple drinks (glasses of wine) and a bit of dinner before walking home. Later, I had drinks with Fred at Annie's and then Floriana. I walked home -- only to go back out and do something very unusual: I biked up to Petworth (a section of D.C. that I NEVER visit) to meet Natan and his fellow 20-something friends and fiancée at DC Reynolds.

The bar at the Black Rooster Pub, Washington, D.C., 6:11PM May 15, 2015.

My first glass was a Merlot and my second was a Zinfandel. The bartender -- a nice older lady -- gave me the wrong kind for my second glass. I pointed it out to her. She looked at me and asked if I had sipped any. I looked at her. She took the glass and drank a swig and declared, "I needed that."

*******

However, they were actually next door at The Looking Glass Lounge. We had spirits drinks and a few shots of Jameson. My "Irish goodbye" and related attempt to ride home on my bicycle were stopped cold by Julia, and I was put into a taxi cab. (Natan and Julia are leaving for their summer-long cross-country vacation including a 300+ mile hike on the John Muir Trail, all of which is to be chronicled here.)

My bike is (hopefully) still locked outside The Looking Glass Lounge where I put it. I'll attempt retrieve it tomorrow in the context of a planned bike ride and lunch with Amy in Bethesda.

The 1600 block of 19th Street NW, Washington, D.C., 6:36PM May 14, 2015.

I was walking to the Hair Cuttery (avoiding Connecticut Avenue).

*******

I went to the gym today and just finished my laundry. I'm having dinner in a little while -- possibly meeting another one of my straight 20-something friends: Nick. Later, I probably go to No. 9.

Updated 10:40AM 5/17/2015:

Well, I never met Nick last night for the stated reason that his phone was at 1% of capacity. (In fact, it was more of a misunderstanding on my part on what he wanted to do.)

Instead, I had dinner at Dupont Italian Kitchen (D-I-K) with Fred and then went to Floriana's downstairs bar.

Next, I went to Duke's (housed in what was once the Pop Stop) and found Jamie, amazingly, by himself. We ended up spending the next two hours or so together including at D-I-K upstairs bar where, as ever, it was bad karaoke night. That aside, it was actually a wonderful night.

So there you have it.

End of Update.

*******

The Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in enhanced base mode reflectivity at 7:08PM EDT May 16, 2015.

*******

We had a t-storm around 6PM that dropped 1/2 to 3/4 inch of needed rain across the immediate D.C. area. Specifically, KDCA had 0.66" at KIAD had 0.70" while KBWI recorded just 0.17".

OK, that's all for now. Jukebox Saturday Night Entry to follow shortly ...

--Regulus

No comments: