Monday, October 20, 2014

Sunday Night Excess, Monday Morning Agonies, and Some Good and Important Reads

The sign at the intersection of 34th Street and Volta Place NW, deep in Georgetown, Washington, D.C., 6:23PM Oct. 19, 2014.

I was going to insert into the image the word "UPPER" above "VOLTA" because I think that's funny. Indeed, as author and aviator Patrick Smith wrote in a wonderful piece I excerpted here, if you were an adolescent male in the mid-1980s, you thought the country name "Upper Volta" (today "Burkina Faso") was HILARIOUS.

*******

I had totally planned to post last night a rather lengthy entry that covered multiple topics -- and, indeed, it is partially written.

What happened instead is I went to Larry's Lounge for "a drink" with the intention of being home by 1030PM after a meh sort of day. (I took a second bike ride, which brought my weekend mileage total close to 30 miles, but the bike is not behaving well with the gears all screwed up).

The row house at 415 M Street NW, Washington, D.C., 5:02PM Oct. 19, 2014.

I just thought it was a cool-looking, albeit seemingly abandoned, building in a strange part of the city. I was biking down toward the Capitol on a zigzag route (and thence all the way over to Georgetown via Rosslyn (on the Virginia side) and back home before going to Larry's Lounge). I showed the picture to Larry P., and he immediately recognized it (he said is "Jewdar" went off). Here is the story.

*******

However, it was Gary's 30th 40th birthday (well, actually, today is his birthday) and, well, let's just that I would take the day off and sleep through it, but I sort of took did that Friday, and short of serious illness it's just not an option. Instead, I just have to suffer through it.

(Yes, Gary, I have your wallet. I'll give it to you when you come by.)

The Summer House grotto (and my bicycle) on the grounds of the U.S. Capitol, Washington, D.C., 5:18PM Oct. 19, 2014.

*******

I will try to post that entry tonight after the gym, although I might have to break it up into two entries. Alternatively, given how I feel now, I might have to skip an entry tonight and just wait until tomorrow night to post it. I'm staying it and not going the gym tomorrow night.

Of note, I am FLAT BROKE this week -- as in, $20 per day -- until Friday. Just as well, given this "life style" I have. (YAY! WALL-P WINS!)

"Eh. Eh. Eheheh. This proves yet again the superiority of my methods. I AM the smart money. I AM the urban sophisticate. People seek out MY expertise. I have all the answers. I get them online from the Washington Post, Wikipedia, and LexisNexis Legal queries. As a result, money was made. Therefore, I am a genius."

*******

In the meantime, please read these three pieces, the first two which really require dedicated entries and, indeed, I intend to return to this topic in a subsequent entry or two. If you read any, please read the first one by Mike Lofgren.

The links are embedded in the titles:


By Mike Lofgren / Feb. 21, 2014

U.S. Capitol dome, oddly covered in scaffolding, Washington, D.C., 5:22PM Oct. 19, 2014.

*******


Sub-headline: Critics like Michael Moore are partly right -- but Obama's doomed presidency is more momentous than they think

By Andrew O'Hehir / Sept. 20, 2014

*******

Yours truly, Richard Todaro, Summer House Grotto, U.S. Capitol grounds, Washington, D.C., 5:25PM Oct. 19, 2014.

*******


Sub-headline: It's the Party of Fear's turn this year, and that blows. But the cast of clowns in D.C. don't really run the show

By Andrew O'Hehir / Oct. 18, 2014.

Good reads and good, important stuff.

OK, that's all for now. I just need to get through this day.

--Regulus

No comments: