Thursday, September 25, 2014

Midweek Update; The Fizzled Rainfall Event; and More on That Annoying Work Computer Change (Updated with Overnight Rain Totals)

**Updated 7:47AM 9/25/2014: See below.**

City park benches on a gloomy, wet, lovely summer evening.

I've posted this picture a few times over the 6-1/2 years I've kept this blog but recently I found information (on Flickr, I think but I can't find the link now) suggesting that it was taken in Union Square Park in New York City on a rainy evening in July 2004.

******

Home now.

I had a good gym workout tonight -- and I even got a used "new" pair of goggles from amid the dozen or so turned into a makeshift lost-and-found cabinet next to the pool (and they are better than the ones I had). That part was also good.

The Wakefield (AKQ) NWS radar in standard version base mode reflectivity, 1:40PM EDT September 24, 2014. This shows the big slug of precipitation slowly rolling north and northwestward.

*******

On the negative side, the forecasted rain from the coastal cut-off low is turning out to be mostly a bust (at least so far). It took forever for the rain to roll into the mid-Atlantic and then it just seemed to bypass the D.C. and Baltimore areas and is now mostly west of here in the Virginia and Maryland piedmont, not to mention (of course) over New Jersey.

The Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in standard version base mode reflectivity, 4:30PM EDT September 24, 2014. This shows the precipitation just on the edge of the immediate Baltimore / Washington metro areas.

*******

There is some additional rainfall off the coast but it doesn't look promising. The flood watch really needs to go. Tentative, though the midnight hour, KDCA had a whopping 0.04" of rainfall while KIAD had 0.06" for the calendar day. KBWI (and, I think, KDMH) managed to have just a "TRACE." By comparison, Norfolk (KORF) had 1.54" of rain.

Updated / Corrected 7:47AM 9/25/2014: For yesterday, Sept. 24th, as noted, KDCA had 0.04" and KIAD had 0.06" but KBWI had 0.03" and KDMH 0.01".

Here is the LWX NWS radar in standard version base mode reflectivity, 11:02PM September 24, 2014. Note how all the precipitation has already moved -- without much actually falling -- to well west of the immediate D.C. area.

*******

The 1 to 3 inch amounts aren't going to come close to verifying...

... this should please the Palka-cabra Creature and her desire for endless heat and drought.

There she is ...

ROAR!!

In any event, it is a cloudy, cool night with a light breeze and scattered light rain showers.

UPDATED 7:47AM 9/25/2014:

During the wee hours of Thursday morning, there was additional rainfall with about 5 hours of light to moderate rainfall across the Metro D.C. / Baltimore area with amounts ranging from one-third to two-thirds of an inch.

The LWX NWS radar in enhanced base reflectivity mode a at 7:12AM Sept. 25, 2014.

Additional precipitation moved over the region from the coastal low in the wee hours and is now slowly pushing north / northeast.

*******

From midnight through the 7AM hour, it looks as though KDCA had about 0.50"of rain (I can't tell the definitive amount because the 1, 3, and 6 hour obs are inconsistent) while KBWI had 0.56", KIAD had 0.34", and KDMH suddenly and again had the most at 0.66" rainfall.

It was also breezy with a northerly breeze in the 10 to 20MPH with occasional gusts and temps. in the 58F to 63F range.

So all in all, it was a rainy, breezy, cool night for September with some useful and beneficial rainfall.

The Fort Dix (DIX) NWS radar in enhanced base mode reflectivity mode at 7:12AM Sept. 25, 2014. As is typical (and almost universal for a coastal storm), New Jersey got substantially more rainfall than the D.C. area.

End of Update.

*******

I am home watching the second of the two-part episode of The Middle where the Heck's go camping. Interestingly, Ray Romano guest stars in it as a flashback. He was, of course, Patricia Heaton's husband in Everybody Loves Raymond. She plays the mother Frances "Frankie" Heck in The Middle.

As for Patricia Heaton, she is an interesting person in real life with a curious mix of political beliefs both religious / conservative (esp. on abortion issues) and liberal (fine with gay marriage).

Above: Patricia Heaton getting her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in May 2012.

I'm not sure why I like the show so much. It's not like I relate to it in my growing up whatsoever. I guess there are some real American archetypes there -- and it is done in a comical way. It's not as dark, tumultuous, and even hateful as Roseanne (at least before the show freaked out). FYI, My mother used to love watching Roseanne back in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

As a follow up to my previous two entries, I am still very upset about the Barracuda update on my work computer (which I also use at home) that has eliminated all my YouTube / streaming video capabilities. Nor is there any resolution as in undoing the changes.

As a result, my "Jukebox Saturday Night" feature is torpedoed for the time being unless and until I can find a new computer. (I can see the YouTube clips in those entries but they do not work.) Having said that, I guess I should be happy that I still have access to Blogger and my blog and image uploading capabilities -- all the more so because I realize I could lose those capabilities.

Oh, yes, I can access the smooth jazz channel on sky.fm on my Windows Media Player but not the actual website (nor does it tell me the songs being played).

Sigh.

Of note, I inquired about buying at a discount a surplus computer from my work's IT department and was told that might be a possibility around Christmas.

Showery, gloomy (lovely) evening at the intersection of New Hampshire Avenue and 15th Street NW, Washington, D.C., 7:07PM September 24, 2014. I was walking to the Anthony Bowen YMCA when I took this picture.

*******

As for tomorrow, I am supposed to go with a coworker to what was originally an after-work dinner to celebrate her recent marriage but then morphed into a group happy hour but now is back to just the two of us. We're either going to Old Ebbitt Grill or to The Bottom Line (which tends not to be crowded).

As for Friday night, I am supposed go to with Andrea & Co. to the Medieval Madness interactive dinner show in Alexandria. Unfortunately, Nick can't make it.

Here was a group picture from my first and most fun visit to Medieval Madness back in March 2013.

My next planned gym visit is on Saturday, and I'll try to take a bike ride on Sunday (though I am quickly running out of late afternoon-to-evening light given the time I typically start those rides).

OK, that's all for now. I will try to post a bit of my planned other entry but at this point, it's doubtful.

--Regulus

No comments: