Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Just a few words on my friend Gary's loss ...


It is with sadness that I note the passing of Gary's father. As I mentioned in this entry, Gary's dad -- Joseph (Joe) -- suffered a massive hemorrhagic stroke early last week and was in a coma in a hospital on Long Island in New York. Joe lived with his wife (Gary's stepmom) in Lynbrook in Nassau County. (I never met his dad or that part of his family.)

I spoke to Gary's mom tonight (she used to live in Boynton Beach, Fla., but now she lives in Fairfax County here in the D.C. area). I always love speaking to her. She told me some happy of when she was married to Joe and Gary was a little boy and his influence on what would become Gary's absolute love of aviation (with small pilot license) and professional bowling abilities.

The viewing / services are later this week -- possibly on Friday. He is being interred at a cemetery on Long Island (according to Gary's mom, much farther out in Suffolk County). I'm unsure of the time / day.

I really would like to go, and Kristof and Wendy have also expressed interest in going.

However, unless it is on the weekend and Wendy drives (which she already kindly offered to do), the logistics of it (involving trains and more trains or, far cheaper but much less pleasant, a bus) combined with my current pay period awful finances with rent due, not to mention my, ahem, NEGATIVE vacation balance make going there really difficult. So at this point, it doesn't seem likely.

(Speaking of Wendy and fathers, I had the chance to meet her dad just last night. He was in town from California and we went to dinner at Banana Leaves. As for my father, well, that's another topic for another blog entry.)


Let me just conclude by saying my deepest condolences, Gary, and to your family. I'm really sorry for your loss.

--Regulus

No comments: