Saturday, April 5, 2014

Jukebox Saturday Night April 5th, 2014 Entry: A Sentimental Life Journey & Big Country Edition

In celebration of Doris Day's 90th -- or 92nd??*-- birthday this past Thursday (April 3rd) ...


"Sentimental Journey" as performed by Les Brown and His Band of Renown with lyrics by Doris Day (1944 or 1945).

This YouTube clip features photos of Ms. Day between the mid 1940s and late 1990s.

*Yes, Ms. Day -- born Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff -- is still alive and going reasonably strong, although apparently there is some confusion about whether she was born in 1924 (as she maintains) or two year earlier in 1922 (other accounts).

Of course, no Doris Day mention is complete without mentioning the quote purportedly said by the late Oscar Levant, who played an unrequited love interest in the 1948 movie Romance on the High Seas in which she starred.

Levant allegedly remarked that he knew Doris Day before she became a virgin.

Ha ha

*******

As a tip-of-the-hat to the title pun of my previous blog entry earlier today (and because I like the song) ...


"Midnight at the Oasis" by Maria Muldaur from her album Maria Maldaur (1973).

*******

And now for something more Saturday up tempo, although not necessarily more beat (based on the additional info below) ...


"In a Big Country" by Big Country from the group's album The Crossing (1983).

*******

The lyricist in the original 1983 video featured above -- Stuart Adamson -- died in December 2001. His final years were rather tragic as he battled alcoholism. Adamson committed suicide in a Honolulu hotel room. He was 43. This makes the lyrics of that now 31-year old song all the more poignant ...

"I never took the smile away from anybody's face, / And that's a desperate way to look for someone who is still a child ...

"I'm not expectin' to grow flowers in the desert, / But I can live and breathe and see the Sun in winter time ...! /

"So take that look out of here. / It doesn't fit you. / Just because it's happened doesn't mean you've been discarded. / Pull up your head off the floor. / Come up screamin'! / Cry out for everything you ever might have wanted! / I thought that pain and truth were things that really mattered, / But you can't stay here with every single hope you have shattered!!"

*******

OK, that's all for now. I'm home on this Saturday night following a good gym workout. I just made dinner(my standard jasmine rice, steamed broccoli and carrots, and sautéed pre-cooked grilled steak strips from a sealed bag) and finished my laundry.

Yours truly looking out side my kitchen window somewhere in Washington, D.C.,  7:20PM April 5, 2014.

*******

I'm watching the Sci-Fi Saturday Night lineup on Me-TV. Right now, I'm watching the Svengoolie-hosted 1935 monster movie tonight is Bride of Frankenstein. Previously, it was Wonder Woman an Star Trek: The Original Series.

The former featured The episode "Anschluss '77" in which Hitler is reincarnated (briefly) in the "capitol" city San Rafael of the fictitious South American country of Cordoba in the year 1977 (30+ years after WWII). The latter featured the episode "Spock's Brain," which was both annoying and creepy episode. If it were made today, it would be an unwatchable gore-fest.

Anyway, my plan is to go out later -- the usual duo, trio, or quartet of places, I guess (Larry's Lounge, D-I-K, No, 9, and/or Nellie's). I might be taking LP to a belated dinner tomorrow (his birthday was on Wednesday). My next update may not be until late Monday night.

--Regulus

No comments: