Thursday, December 26, 2013

Past Fortnight Photo Recap: Rainy Saturday Night D.C. Circuit and Elsewhere

The new escalators on the south side of the Dupont Circle Metro, Washington, D.C., 7:30PM December 20, 2013.

*******

This entry features some photos that I took over the past two weeks that I have been intending to post, in particular a series on Saturday night of Dec. 14th into the early hours of Sunday, Dec. 15th. The pictures are thus out of order from the ones I posted in my previous entry, and also from the ones I intend to post from yesterday. The pictures from yesterday were taken en route to, during, and after my Christmas Day dinner with my mom, Ray, Gary, and Wendy in Annapolis. (I still have to get some pictures from my mom and Wendy.)

It is the day after Christmas and I am back in D.C. I do not feel well today -- I feel headachy and a tad dizzy. I took the day off outright. I'm not sure if this is some after-effect from yesterday (I really did drink too much), a head cold, or one of my periodic migraine headaches (a non-aural one). As it is, I am going to try to go to the gym (the Anthony Bowen YMCA), as I've not been to the gym since Saturday.

I don't like feeling this way.

OK, the rest of this entry just features the pictures with some accompanying text ...

*******

Rainy Saturday night, Dec. 14th, into the wee hours of Sunday morning, Dec. 15th, 2013, in the D.C. City Beautiful ...

An umbrella couple on a rainy night standing at the corner of 16th and U Streets at New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington, D.C., 9:09PM December 14, 2013.

I skipped my Me TV Sci Fi Saturday Night on this night, hence the early start on my Saturday night Old Ebbitt Grill / No. 9 / Nellie's / back home again circuit. On this night, I stopped first at Dupont Italian Kitchen bar to see Chris H.

*******

Rainy night looking south down 17th Street NW from near S Street, Washington, D.C., 9:14PM December 14, 2013.

*******

Rainy night view of the White House from Lafayette Park, Washington, D.C., 10:08PM December 14, 2013.

I had stopped at D-I-K Bar for about a half hour before continuing on my way to Old Ebbitt.  

*******

Rainy night view from Lafayette Park looking toward the buildings along Madison Place NW, Washington, D.C., 10:09PM December 14, 2013.

There are three roads named Madison in D.C. -- Madison Drive NW just on the immediate north side of the National Mall (it is the old "A" Street in the Northwest quadrant while Jefferson Drive is the old "A" Street on the Southwest quadrant side); Madison Place NW on the east side of Lafayette Park; and Madison Street NW (the three-syllable "M" street in the D.C. grid several miles north of the White House).

*******

A very dim and blurry picture from my low-quality cellphone camera taken at my usual Old Bar late night Saturday night spot in the Old Ebbitt Grill, Washington, D.C., 10:48PM December 14, 2013.

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, apparently Teddy Roosevelt shot every animal whose head is mounted above the bar -- including that walrus. Indeed, I believe that Teddy Roosevelt shot EVERY animal head in every bar in North America...

*******

The lobby at 1110 Vermont Avenue NW with its ghastly cobalt blue LED lighting and Christmas decorations including a polar bear; Washington, D.C., 11:38PM December 14, 2013.

This was after dinner at Old Ebbitt Grill as I was walking to Number 9 on P Street NW. This is also right by the musical poles on Vermont Avenue. The rain had stopped by this point.

*******

National City Christian Church, Thomas Circle, Washington, D.C., 11:41PM December 14, 2013.

This is a weird church. I'm not even entirely sure what is its denomination -- something called The Christian Church / Disciples of Christ , but it is one of those incredibly liberal / we-welcome-everybody type churches that exist around Dupont Circle. Apparently, LBJ's state funeral was held there in 1973.

*******

A group of young people heading into Black Whiskey along 14th Street NW, Washington, D.C., 11:46PM December 14, 2013.

*******

The ornate houses along Logan Circle -- I think this is 14 Logan Circle and its neighboring houses - Washington, D.C., 12:59AM December 15, 2013.

*******

Downstairs at Nellie's, Washington, D.C., 2:00AM December 15, 2013.

I had reached Nellie's by this point.

I then went home by the time the place closed. I think the whole circuit is 2-1/2 to 3 miles.

*******

The remaining pictures were taken at two different locations on the 17th and 23rd, respectively.

Left to right: Sarah, Imara, and Andrea at Spider Kelly's in Arlington, Va., 7:55PM December 17, 2013.

We were at one of the Tuesday night happy hours -- which alternate between D.C. and Arlington (the latter usually at Spider Kelly's).

Andrea is a very dear friend of mine, and we also work together. Actually, she's also my supervisor, though we were friends first.

*******

Left to right: Sarah, Imara, and Andrea at Spider Kelly's in Arlington, Va., 7:59PM December 17, 2013.

*******

Final picture ...

The interior of Eatonville at the corner of 14th and W Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 9:10PM December 23, 2013.

Andrea and I went to dinner there this past Monday night. It is located very close to the Anthony Bowen YMCA. The food was quite good and the place serves some great drinks such as a voodoo punch (the place serves Creole food).

*******

OK, it's 8:46PM as I post this entry. I'm back from the gym where I had a full and good workout including an hour on the treadmill (55 minutes + 6 minute cool down; 5.67 miles and 801 calories, if the display is to be believed); an hour of light-to-moderate machine weightlifting; and a half hour swimming.

I feel much better.

My plan is to go to Dupont Italian Kitchen for dinner. (I think Chris is working tonight.) Tomorrow, I plan to have a regular day at work in the office -- my first day actually in the office since last Friday.

My next planned update will either be tomorrow night or, more likely, Saturday.

--Regulus

No comments: