Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Mid-December Night's Blog Post (Prequel)

A Christmas window display at a store along Connecticut Avenue near Farragut North Metro (in the 1100 block, I think, though I didn't get which store it was), Washington, D.C., 10:25PM December 17, 2013.

I was en route to Larry's Lounge from Farragut West Metro upon my return from an infrequent trip to Arlington, Va., where I went to Spider Kelly's at Clarendon with Andrea and the Tuesday night group. That's about as much snow as I'm going to see in D.C. this winter.

*******

This is my planned update except I'm not sure whether to post a personal-themed entry along with about 20 or so medium-to-low quality cellphone pictures I've taken in the past week at different places, or to have a political themed entry.

As it is, I'm getting strange error messages on the Blogger website when I use Internet Explorer. It doesn't seem to be an issue with Chrome, so I may have to switch to it. I'm also running a malware sweep to see if anything is wrong with this computer. Trouble is, it takes about 90 minutes to complete.

The alley next to the Hampton Courts (my apartment building, located on the left in this image), Washington, D.C., 11:28PM December 18, 2013.

*******

I also need to make dinner at this late hour while trying to complete this entry and then go to bed at a non-ridiculously late hour in order to get to work at a reasonable hour. I'm just back from the Anthony Bowen YMCA gym tonight, where I had a decent full workout -- a one-hour / 5.5 mile jog, some weightlifting over about 50 minutes, and a half hour swim -- which was a bit better than the one on Monday night. Oh, yes, my new dark-blue tinted goggles make for quite a Neptune's Court view underwater. I'm looking forward to wearing the goggles in the big pool at the National Capital YMCA (possibly tomorrow).

The dome of the U.S. Capitol Building seen from approximately 1 mile away on the L'Enfant Promenade overpass of the CSX freight train / Amtrak / VRE train tracks, 1:21PM December 18, 2013.

This is next to my office building. These train tracks -- which mainly serve mile-long freight trains that come roaring through and even shake my office building. Indeed, when we had the earthquake in August 2011, I initially thought it was a passing train because of the up-and-down motion, until I realized it wasn't -- ESPECIALLY when the side-to-side shaking hit.

Of note, the Capitol dome is soon to be encased in scaffolding for a major renovation effort. For its part, the Washington Monument is now basically scaffolding free with exterior repairs from aforementioned earthquake no completed.

*******

Blurry cellphone image taken at the corner of 15th Street and New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington, D.C., 10:53PM December 18, 2013.

*******

It is a cold, still night of the December / January / February sort that I really like and the walk back from the gym (yes, via the much shorter way on W Street to New Hampshire Avenue despite my night time trepidation to do so) was so peaceful and the Xmas decorations in the apartments and houses so pretty. I was all bundled up (and the thermals really help) and it just felt nice. True, it's not bitterly cold -- more like around 32F

It is soon to warm up to 70F or even higher by Sunday with rain followed by a partly cloudy, blah Christmas day next week with highs around 47F. I'm so very annoyed at just how frequently D.C. has been screwed out of snow opportunities in what is now the fourth winter (yes, I realize has not technically astronomically started, though climatologically it has). I realize that to some extent this is statistical payback for the blockbuster winter of 2009 - 2010 with three snowstorms here (the first of which struck four years ago to the day on the 19th).

Despite this, I'm so disgusted with the repeated snow misses in D.C. over and over even as places as close as Frederick have had 6+" this month.

It feels just malicious at this point (yes, I know it's just the flippin' weather with its free atmosphere dynamics and thermodynamics, boundary layer profiles and conditions, air chemistry, and whatever other immutable physical facts of nature conspire together).

Except how does it ALWAYS work against us?? I mean, even places such as Jackson, Mississippi, to say nothing of flippin' Jerusalem, Israel, get odd snowstorms. For D.C., it ALWAYS is a flippin' floppin' bust.

And, of course, the local appendages of the for-profit American frazzle-dazzle media / entertainment whoreocracy are thrilled by that prospect, as is the burbling idiot McCheeseburger public.

The Sue Palka - Cabra creature in particular is thrilled with the prospect of record heat any time of the flippin' year.

There she is ...

ROAR!!

As it is, I think Gary and I are going on an extended weekend trip to Buffalo and Niagara Falls in late January partly in order to see snow. I'll have more to say on that later (and, NO, I'm not going over Niagara Falls in a barrel).

OK, I'm going to try to post a second entry.

--Regulus

No comments: