Thursday, January 12, 2012

Irregular Regulus Thursday

Yes, this was the APOD image for Jan. 10, 2012: A stunning image of this blog's namesake star, Regulus, and (visible below as a small swarm of distant pin-points of light) the Leo I Dwarf Galaxy.

The fiercely shining blue-white giant star Regulus with a highly elongated shape (due to its rapid rotation rate) that is about 75 light years away while in the sky constellation Leo.

Here is an adapted picture of Regulus and the Sun, although the Sun is not "yellow" but rather basically white as seen from space.

Regulus rotates so rapidly that it has an oblate spheroidal shape. Indeed, if it rotated just slightly faster, it would tear itself apart.

By contrast, the Leo I Dwarf Galaxy is about 800,000 light years away. Leo I is one of a cluster of approximately 14 satellite galaxies to our own Milky Way Galaxy (such as the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds). The Milky Way and the Andromeda (M31) Galaxy, in turn, form the two principal members of the Local Group.

The Local Group with some of its members labeled.

Most of the remaining members are the attendant satellite galaxies of these two large galaxies, although there are other larger and more distant members such as the Triangulum Galaxy and outliers such as the Phoenix Dwarf and the Tucana Dwarf.

In all, about 54 galaxies make up the Local Group, itself on the outskirts of the Virgo (or Local) Supercluster.

########

The interior bar of the Woodley Cafe, Washington, D.C., Washington, D.C., 7:01PM, Jan. 10, 2012.

It was pleasant enough, but as usual there were flat-screen TVs tuned to blaring news -- in particular, the frickin' New Hampshire primary results this past Tuesday night. It is almost impossible to get away from TVs in bars and other public gathering places in present-day America.

#######

I wanted to post this entry before midnight while it is still Thursday, Jan. 12th (which I think looks better than than Fri. Jan. 13th in the year 2012). No, it has nothing to do with Friday the 13th as a dreaded date. In the end, though, I cheated slightly by posting the entry momentarily at 11:52PM and then finishing it in draft so that it would have a Jan. 12 date stamp and finally posting it around 125AM. 

#######

Another view of the interior of the Woodley Cafe, Washington, D.C., 7:02PM, Jan. 10, 2012.

#######

Normally, I go out on a Thursday night but as I was out Tuesday and Wednesday, and as I had a huge pile of laundry to do -- plus I wanted to update this blog -- I stayed in. Oddly enough, I had a large amount of pressure to go out (to Larry's Lounge) from M., who is kind of a flighty pain in the ass sometimes. Well, actually, most of the time.

Another one of those rainy night "soft city / electric city" views from my apartment looking at the intersection of 16th and U Streets and New Hampshire Ave., NW, Washington, D.C., 11:50PM, Jan. 11, 2012.

#######

I also had an invite to the Black Fox on Connecticut Avenue, where I have long intended to go but have yet to. Apparently, it was open-mic night, but more importantly, there was actual talen there in the form of the Gay Men's Chorus, or some such group. At least that's what Jeremy said, but I never made it there.

Funny scene from the Frasier episode "Author, Author' as Frasier and Niles brawl in a hotel room, their planned collaborative book a total failure.

Funniest lines:

"Because I'm FED UP!"

-and-

"YOU STOLE MY MOMMY!"

#######

As it is, I did my laundry, even folding it. I had to get rid of an especially old pillow (I have four others that are much newer), but I "remade" it with towels and a sheet wrapped in the same (washed) pillow case. It is the pillow I particularly like to hold. As for my stuff animals, they just sort of occupy and overflow the bed.

Here are my stuffed animals playing -- including plush hippos -- atop a pile of clean laundry, pillows, and blankets in my wee apartment somewhere in Washington, D.C., before I folded / made up everything earlier tonight.

#######

My work week has gone sufficiently well -- nothing occurred that I feared early on on the week. In addition, I finished the two additional Long Beach compliance cases and now I can move onto the West Virginia one. There are also apparently a flurry of ones in Oregon as well.

However, I also have an entirely different task that is beginning to take more of my time (even if I'm quite limited on how much time I can dedicate it to it, or rather, how many hours I may bill to it).

I put the overhead light on just for a better view. It is usually much darker in my apt. (as in above picture).

#######

I've not been able to access the Bank of America site all evening but this apparently has to do with my connection to the internet and how that site is being accessed rather than it actually being down.

I may be having lunch with two friends -- Mike G. and Chester -- from my meteorology grad school days tomorrow at Union Station, although we may have to postpone it.

OK, that's it for now.


I am omitting any political conversations, including about Mitt Romney and his illegal and inhumane treatment of his long-dead dog Seamus, not to mention everyone who has ever worked for a company that this  member of the 1% (or rather, 1% of the 1%) has American-style corporate-raided American into working class oblivion. Read about the original story and what it means here.

But I can bring it around to note that this must appeal to Wall-P's values.

"Money by definition defines success, which defines that which is good rahhter than bad, and therefore --"

Oh, shut up, Wall-P. Enough of your nihilistic, solipsistic, bankrupt philosophies.

Whoever thought it would be crazy Newt Gingrich to call attention to this -- even though it's a done deal, I suppose, and Romney will be the GOP nominee and we can all "romney" -- ha ha.

Needless to say, Obama will just help Romney win because that's what Obama does.


Here is a screenshot image of a Salon headline to a column by Glenn Greenwald the other day on Obama's choice of Jacob Lew as his new Chief of Staff -- so that the WaHoPo / Beltway- establishment elite-approved Bill Daley can go and raise cash from his Wall Street corporate cronies. 

By the way, the permanent link column has the much more benign headline "The new WH Chief of Staff and Citigroup." The WaHoPo would be pleased.

Anyway, that's all for now. Suffice it to say, I'm just happy I got through another week.

My next planned update will be over the weekend.

--Regulus

No comments: