Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Very Anny Runnell Kenny Christmas, 2011

My mom and yours truly at the Chart House restaurant in Annapolis, Md., on Christmas Day, Dec. 25, 2011.

This is the second year in a row that we have gone there for Christmas.

#######

I wrote most of this entry yesterday (Dec. 26th) but did not format and finalize and post it until today (Dec. 27th). 

This was a very nice and pleasant Christmas spent with my mom and Ray (my step-dad) over in Anne Arundel County in suburban Maryland between Baltimore and Annapolis.

In the local dialect, it's in Anny Runnell Kenny, Merlin between Balmer and Anny-polis, hon. (I will write a little bit more about the "Maryland accent" in an upcoming entry.) The pictures in this entry were taken on my brief Christmas visit to see my mom between Friday and earlier today. They are posted mostly chronologically.

#######

Christmas Eve, Dec. 24, 2011

Here we are driving along Rt. 1 Baltimore Avenue in Beltsville, Md., 3:23PM, Dec. 24, 2011.

My mom and Ray picked me up at the College Park Metro.

######

Here is visible an old tower for some abandoned and perhaps forgotten purpose seen through a tangle of brownish weeds and December bare scrub-forest growing along the CSX - MARC Camden Line tracks running along Rt. 1 Baltimore Avenue in Beltsville, Md., 3:24PM, Dec. 24, 2011.

The CSX and MARC Camden Line commuter train tracks run between Baltimore and Washington through suburban Maryland's less affluent stretches. This line is distinct from the Amtrak mainline that also is the route of the MARC Penn Line.

#######

The intersection of Rt. 1 Baltimore Avenue and Contee Road in Laurel, Md., 3:26PM, Dec. 24, 2011.

#######

Rushing along Veterans Highway past some unidentified business (possibly a storage place OR a motel), Millersville, Md., 3:54PM, Dec. 24, 2011.

#######

My mom and Ray inside of the trailer, Millersville, Md., 4:05PM, Dec. 24, 2011.

I stayed in the back (front) room. Quite cozy.

#######

As I mentioned, my mom and Ray live in Millersville an unincorporated community next to the larger and much better known and likewise unincorporated Glen Burnie, which however is a Census-Designated Place, both in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. 

Indeed, only Annapolis and Highland Beach are incorporated communities in Anne Arundel County while the rest are unincorporated or unincorporated CDP's. Wikipedia conveniently lists them out here.

Left: A map of Anne Arundel County by U.S. Postal zip code. Ignore the colors -- it was from a 2006 WaHoPo real estate article showing price changes over 2005 during the height of the real estate bubble. Glen Burnie consists of the 21060 and 21061 zip codes.

Though I am not originally from Glen Burnie**, I spent much of the 1980s and early 1990s with them. This included going to junior high and high school.

This included what has for many years been Corkran Middle School (grades 6 - 8) but back then was Corkran Junior High (grades 7 - 9) and Glen Burnie High School, whence I graduated about, oh, 1,500 years ago -- way back at the end of "Morning in America" in 1988.

The interior of Jenkins Memorial Church in Riviera Beach, Md., 7:37PM, Dec. 24, 2011.

My mom and I went to this non-denominational church for a Christmas Eve candlelight service because a friend of hers is a long-time member and she invited us to go. It is located in Riviera Beach, Md., but the locals always say "Ri-VERA" -- eliding over the extra "i" in much the same way the locals about 30 miles away in Mount Rainier, Md., say "Mount RAIN-yur."

#######

Two framed old signs in Jenkins Memorial Church, Riviera Beach, Md., 9:24PM, Dec. 24, 2011. Glad to know that March 19, 1955 was a Saturday and a fried chicken dinner cost $1.25 for adults, 75 cents for children. 

#######

As my regular readers know -- all four of them --I am from New Jersey, specifically, Long Branch / Sea Bright on the Jersey shore of Monmouth County, where I spent my 1970s childhood and 1980s teenage summers in the 1980s, stretching into the early 1990s, until my dad moved away from there. My mom is from South Amboy, but she left New Jersey shortly after marrying Ray in the mid-1970s, living in Belgium and then Texas. (Ray was in the U.S. Army.)

This Tuesday (Dec. 28th) is actually their 38th anniversary.

Christmas lights on a house and in the yard along residential Central Avenue in Glen Burnie, Md., 10:02PM, Dec. 24, 2011. Yes, I know my cellphone camera is quite poor at taking certain kinds of pictures such as those at night. 

#######

More Christmas decorations including Eeyore and a sun glasses-wearing Santa in a small airplane (complete with twirling propeller) in the yard of the house along D Street SW, Glen Burnie, Md., 10:02PM, Dec. 24, 2011.

"Old" Glen Burnie is actually divided -- much like the District of Columbia -- into four directional quadrants, NW, SW, SE, and NE. (CORRECTED 7/1/2016) The "center" of the grid is Baltimore - Annapolis (B&A) Boulevard Crain Highway, Central Avenue, and Post 40 Road.

A Google map aerial view of Glen Burnie with the "center point" circled and the quadrants labeled. Post 40 Road does not show up well and is not labeled in this portion of the map. It parallels the hiker-biker B&A Trail. 

The quadrants are a bit off-kilter because of how runs Central Avenue, and in some places on this map, they appear to be out of place or just mislabeled. This inner part of Glen Burnie is de facto under the jurisdiction of something called the Glen Burnie Improvement Association (G.B.I.A.).

One of these days, I will have to talk about the G.B.I.A. and its annual Big Glen Burnie Carnival, not to mention my participation in it in the 1990s and early 2000s.

It is run by the Glen Burnie Improvement Association (G.B.I.A.). 

Yes, Glen Burnie has been in a continuous state of improvement since 1908.

I remember once my high school classmate Luther saying to someone at the carnival (we volunteered in the main kitchen area) in the same voice as the woman customer in the 1970s Calgon commercials when she realizes that the Chinese laundry where she has her clothes washed is actually using Calgon detergent (and it is not an ancient Chinese secret formula), "ANCIENT G.B.I.A. SECRET, EH??"

Yes, it was quite funny, and no, I have no idea what was said that prompted such a strange reply.

#######

**(Cont'd from above)

My mom and Ray have lived in Anne Arundel County since spring 1982 (having arrived in Maryland in Nov. 1981 from Texas and briefly living in Baltimore). They moved from Glen Burnie to their present place in Millersville about 8 years ago.

I lived with them in Anne Arundel County about a third of that time (1982 through 1988 continuously and 1988 - 1994 intermittently) before seguing into my present D.C. existence via College Park and te 500 years or so I spent amassing three masters degrees (two superfluous) and a mortgage worth of student loan debt, not to mention wasting my late 20s and ALL of my 30s.

#######

"Oh, the humanity!"

The McDonald's was jumpin' on Christmas Eve, Millersville, Md., 10:16PM, Dec. 24, 2011.

Once at this very McDonalds in May 1987, my mom once had her purse violently stolen by some cracked out emaciated bitch as she sat in her car (window rolled down, which we would never do today) while I was inside, unaware. The girl was caught and charged / pleaded guilty.

#######

My mom using a shawl as an impromptu head scarf, Millersville, Md., 10:35PM, Dec. 24, 2011.

#######

Yours truly wrapped in the American flag -- well, a blanket version of it -- while seated on the pull-out sofa, Millersville, Md., Christmas Eve, 2011.

Ray took this picture with his digital camera.

#######

Christmas Day, Dec. 25, 2011

OK, this enormous sky-blue colored water tower -- which resembles nothing so much as an alien space ship that has just touched down -- is located in Millersville, Md., just off Veterans Highway and East-West Blvd., as seen at 1:02PM, Dec. 25, 2011.

#######

The small round-about at East-West Blvd. and Jumpers Hold Road, Pasadena, Md., 1:06PM, Dec. 25, 2011.

I have no idea the historical origin of the name "Jumpers Hole," but there used to be a nearby unpleasant little mall called Jumpers Mall that was rebuilt into Pasadena Crossroads.

#######

This is the draw bridge that carries Compromise Street over what I believe is the Spa Creek in Annapolis, Md., 1:29PM, Dec. 25, 2011.

I think this is just called the Compromise Street Bridge, but I'm not sure. We were heading over to the Chart House, located off Severn Avenue in a corner of Annapolis.

#######

Yachts docked outside the Chart House restaurant, Annapolis, Md., 1:34PM, Dec. 25, 2011.

#######

Another view of the yachts outside the Chart House -- here visible on its wharf location -- in Annapolis Md., on Christmas Day, 1:35PM, Dec. 25, 2011.

As you can see, it was not a particularly Christmas-y weather day. As for these yachts, including "Tangler II," they indicate the money in this part of Anne Arundel County. I kept thinking of the Gary Hart - Donna Rice sex scandal from 1987 and the yacht involved called "Monkey Business." 

#######

My mom standing amid the tightly spaced cluster of dockside businesses that make up the Yacht Haven complex off 1st Street and Severn Avenue, Annapolis, Md., 1:40PM, Dec. 25, 2011.

#######

Yours truly among the wooden pylons holding up the second floor deck of the Yacht Haven offices complex, Annapolis, Md., 1:40PM, Dec. 25, 2011.

#######

Here are my mom and Ray at the Chart House restaurant, Annapolis, Md., Dec. 25, 2011. Ray had been smiling a moment before I took the picture. 

Ray had serious surgery involving removal of a badly ulcerated gall bladder about three weeks ago and is now doing quite well.

#######

The Sugar Buns store on one of the narrow, wending streets in downtown Annapolis, Md., 4:03PM, Dec. 25, 2011.

#######

The view of Annapolis from the U.S. Naval Academy Bridge, 4:07PM, Dec. 25, 2011.

The most prominent buildings of the Annapolis skyline are visible including the State Capitol Building and dome of the U.S. Naval Academy Chapel on the grounds.

#######

Gary's Garden along Ritchie Highway (Rt. 2) in Severna Park, Md., 4:15PM, Dec. 25, 2011.

#######

A water tower -- apparently a new one -- located along Jumpers Hole Road, Pasadena, Md., 4:31PM, Dec. 25, 2011.

#######

Boxing Day, December 26, 2011

Clothes drying rack, washing machine (next to the dryer), and other stuff in the trailer, Millersville, Md., 1:03PM, Dec. 26, 2011. The other drying rack -- the ancient wooden one from the early 1970s -- is outside on the little deck. 

#######

The trailer park in Millersville, Md., located right under the final approach route to nearby BWI Airport, 1:06PM, Dec. 26, 2011.

I think just about every place they have lived in Glen Burnie and Millersville has been under the final approach to BWI Airport. But then again, it's sort of hard not to be in this area.

#######

My mom's cubicle in her office in Severna Park, Md., 2:58PM, Dec. 26, 2011.

My mom has worked in this office for almost 28 years. It's just a strange thought to think how much the world has changed in that time. I had not been there in at least 15 years. 

We had gone to lunch earlier and stopped by the office before driving to New Carrollton.

#######

The waiting area for my mom's office, Severna Park, Md., 3:00PM, Dec. 26, 2011.

#######

This is part of the hiker - biker Baltimore - Annapolis (B&A) Trail that runs from the edge of Annapolis all the way to Glen Burnie near the Cromwell Light Rail Station (13.3 miles). It actually runs along the old B&A Rail Line. This was the view from Severna Park, Md., looking south, 3:03PM, Dec. 26, 2011.

#######

Leaving Anny Runnell Kenny ...

Here we are crossing over the Patuxent River on Rt. 50 from Anne Arundel into Prince George's County, Md., 3:21PM, Dec. 26, 2011.

#######

Here I am back in the city area and my world, in particular, on the Metro Orange Line heading into D.C. from New Carrollton, Md., 3:37PM, Dec. 26, 2011.

#######

OK, that ends my Christmas visit entry. While this should be a short and quiet week, I nevertheless HAVE to finish a series of compliance recommendation reports at work. Thus, I do not anticipate having another entry posted until Friday. Indeed, between now and Jan. 3rd, I anticipate posting only two additional entries. 

--Regulus

No comments: