Monday, December 5, 2011

Kristof's Heart & San Francisco, My Sinuses & Washington, D.C.

The tip of the Transamerica Pyramid Building is just visible above the San Francisco Ferry Building, San Francisco, Calif., Dec. 5, 2011.

#######

The pictures in this entry were taken earlier today by Kristof on his week-long trip to San Francisco, where he is leaving his heart, I mean, attending the big, sprawling, week-long AGU conference, where he will be crowned the  Grand Scientific Poobah of Stratospheric - Tropospheric Ozone & Other Exchanges, see here.

A procession through the Castro District will follow ("HEY, GURLLL!")

A full-on view of San Francisco's iconic Transamerica Pyramid Building, Dec. 5, 2011.

#######

I am posting these images even though I'm not there because ... 

(1)To the extent I've experienced it, I love that city; (2) I have in fact been there (in Oct. 2006); and (3) I posted a lovely set of entries with lots of pictures I took on that trip on my old and vanished Arcturus blog (not to be confused with my hidden current Arcturus blog), and so this entry mimics that one, if only a little.

Alas, none of my pictures from that entry (or blog) survives.

OK, since I've posted three pics of the Transamerica Pyramid Building, I would like to (re)post below the YouTube version of one of the great commercials of the 1980s -- the Chanel No. 5 one featuring the building (and a flashing strobe atop it that does not actually exist). 

Yes, the quality of the video is quite bad but it's still worth watching, and the song I Don't Want to Set the World On Fire just makes it.

Splendid.

#######

Telegraph Hill in the distance with the Coit Tower atop it, San Francisco, Calif., Dec. 5, 2011.

#######

It is already nearly 10:30PM on Monday night as I start this entry, and it is much too late to write a lengthy posting. In addition, I am feeling a bit under the proverbial weather* with what may be a mild sinus infection of some sort (with a strange feeling in my sinuses, as if I'm ever about to sneeze but cannot and with those intermittent and randomly placed headaches I get). Of course, all of this may be a series of migraines since the former is very often confused with the latter.

San Francisco's Union Square Park, Dec. 5, 2011.

#######

*This proverbial weather is opposed to the actual blah, boring, flat, above normal temperature patterned weather of the past few weeks here in D.C. and environs, although it is supposed to turn showery and colder by Wednesday and there is even a chance of mixed rain and snow Thursday night.

San Francisco's Chinatown area looking down a steep street, Dec. 5, 2011.

It's a good thing it virtually never freezes in San Francisco -- the city would be unnavigable.

#######

Anyway, there are some very good pieces on Salon and in The New York Times (of course online) that I want to post but it is simply too late tonight to do so. In lieu of that, here are two more SFO images taken by Kristof earlier today. No, none are of the Golden Gate Bridge.

The Occupy San Francisco encampment, Dec. 5, 2011.

#######

A cable car near the intersection of Powell and Market Streets, San Francisco, Dec. 5, 2011.

#######

OK, with that I shall end this entry. I may update this blog tomorrow (Tuesday) night.

--Regulus

1 comment:

krzysztof said...

The Golden Gate Bridge is quite far and, to quote Karen Walker, I get only 4 hours for lunch break