Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Air Florida -OR- Spiritual Intermodal Transport

A bright winter's day view from the Daytona Beach Pier looking south (this is not quite the same image as I posted in my previous entry), Jan. 10, 2009.

I should have a more typical "summer" version of this to post when I return. 

#######

This is an update before I leave for Florida ... (Yes, I brought my work computer home and I'm updating this blog.) I started this entry late last night and I'm finishing /posting it this morning.

Monday was a good day overall -- except I found out (well, I guess I was stupid not to realize) that the frickin' hotel (in Daytona Beach) is going to hold an additional amount of money (I was told it is $100.00) for the hotel room for "incidentals."

This is problem because (1) I've budgeted very carefully, and (2) I do not have any credit cards but ONLY a debit card, and because the amount can be held for up to 30 days (though I doubt Bank of America would hold it THAT long), all of this is very inconvenient, ESPECIALLY during the trip.

My tentative solution is to give $100 in cash up front to see if they will just give that back to me when I check out. I'm sure that won't work but I'll try. If not, then my daily expenditures are stuck pretty tightly at $60. Also, at this point, I'm still without a place to stay on Friday night. Boo.

I'm supposed to get paid on the 10th (Monday, Columbus Day), but typically when payday falls on a Monday, we get paid 48 hours earlier (by Saturday night).

Oh, yes, I also need to pay my rent online on the 10th, so I need to find a computer in SoFla.

This is so vexing and complicated. True, I could have avoided all of this if I had stayed with my dad but I simply cannot handle him with his current girlfriend and her 12-year old daughter. All I really want to do is sleep sometimes.

#######

Yours truly in bed in his tiny apartment somewhere in Washington, D.C., in the wee hours of Oct. 2, 2011 (4:01AM to be exact).

#######

Well, anyway, all that aside, I actually had a good day. I resolved some compliance amounts for a school district in South Carolina (I finished the North Dakota case over the weekend) and was able (I think) to glide into this vacation.

A picture of Saturday night revelers in Washington, D.C., walking in the rainy wee hours of Sunday morning (2:54AM Oct. 2, 2011). I was walking along U Street from Nellie's back home.

######

I had a very nice dinner with K. at Chadwicks up in Friendship Heights tonight, and then I had a good time at LL tonight with Kristof. The bartender D. was working there, as was the couple that owns and runs the place. Oh, and there is a new bartender who now works there who is from Mr. Sirius's (and Oooza the Unloved's) gayborhood. 

Now THEY wouldn't have an issue with a paltry extra $100.

The view from the Center Cafe Restaurant bar in the main hall of Union Station, Washington, D.C., 6:26PM, Oct. 3, 2011.

#######

Also, I went to Union Station this evening after work to pick up my Amtrak "taxi" and train tickets for my trek from Daytona Beach to Deerfield Beach via Deland on the 8th.  I peeked into the main hall and stopped for a drink at the bar at the Center Cafe Restaurant in the main hall. I had one drink before heading up to Friendship Heights.

Another view from the Center Cafe Restaurant bar, Union Station main hall, Washington, D.C., 6:24PM, Oct. 3, 2011.

#######

While there, I had a nice half hour chat with a fellow named M. who works at a bike shop near Logan Circle. What was startling was that it turned out he and I had a lot of curious commonalities: He presently lives in Anne Arundel Co.* which is where I spent my teenage years; he lived in Seattle, where I once lived (except separated by 12+ years in time); and he had a brother who lives in Flagler Beach, Fla, which is, of course, where my dad lives. Also, he had a connection to Brooklyn while I am from the Jersey shore area.

*He takes the Penn Line between Union Station and a stop in Anne Arundel Co.

#######

Another rainy nighttime view of U Street (between 13th and 14th Streets), NW, Washington, D.C., 2:52AM, Oct. 2, 2011. It has sort of a Great Gatsbyesque night time electric feel, even in the unpleasant year of 2011. 

#######

BTW, even though I'm going to Florida (and here is the Daytona Beach NWS forecast), I have very much enjoyed the cloudy, cool, showery / drizzly weather we have had here in D.C. the past several days. And I very happy that fall is here.

The Daytona Beach, Fla., grid point NWS panel forecast valid for Oct. 4 - 10, 2011 with panel icons through the 8th. I trek down to Deerfield Beach on the 8th, whence I am to return on the 12th via Ft. Lauderdale. 

#######

OK, take care everybody. I hope we do the upriver take off tomorrow from DCA (I have a seat on the right side of the jet just in case).

An upriver take off from National Airport showing Washington, D.C., that I found online. My apt. bldg is actually visible in that jumble of structures down there -- sort of on the middle left just below Meridian Hill Park with its Sunday Congo bongo drum circle. 

#######

OK, that really is all for now. I am not sure if I'll be updating this blog while I'm in Florida. Yes, my dad is getting a computer and internet access (wonderful) and I'll be in a hotel that probably has a public computer. Then there is the Deerfield Beach part.

In case I cannot update this blog while I'm gone, my next planned update will be on the 12th or 13th.

#######

One last time ...

The Guardian Of Forever ...

OK, that's about all for now. Given the work I have to do by Monday, I probably won't have time to post much by way of entries. 

I may not have a chance to post again after this weekend until I return. If not, it is conceivable I won't update this until Oct. 13th. And should I NEVER return ...

... then let The Guardian of Forever (from Star Trek Original Series episode "The City on the Edge of Forever") watch over my blog.

--Regulus

2 comments:

к.нео.физ.де.му said...

good luck with your vacation - try to enjoy it despite the old man's g/f and her family...

i would also be visiting quite an interesting place, but infortunately it won't be as warm there...

oh, well...

btw, did you ever see that picture of russian leaders i sent you?

Regulus said...

Thanks, Mike.

What is this interesting place?

Yes, I saw the picture and got a sense of what it was saying.