Monday, September 12, 2011

My 96-Hour Staycation -OR- Four Days in D.C./MoCo/NoVa

Looking south along the tidal Potomac River from the north end of Old Town Alexandria, Va., toward the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, 3:59PM, Sept. 12, 2011.

#######

It is quarter to eleven on Monday night and I simply do not have the time or energy to post a lengthy blog entry. I have been out all day -- including (in all) a four or five mile walk from Old Town Alexandria along the Mount Vernon bike trail to National Airport, thence to a "semi-office" happy hour outside the Hotel W (the old Hotel Washington), and finally to Pines of Florence on Connecticut Avenue (I walked there) for a two-person farewell for ChrisT. (he leaves for Montgomery, Ala., to start his new job this week).

I skipped the larger Saturday night dinner at the same place because the Wall Street bot Wall-P and two others were there I did not want to see.

Henry Street sign / traffic signal as seen from King Street, Alexandria, Va., 2:48PM, Sept. 12, 2011.

Of note, a number of the traffic crosswalk signal signs were missing along King Street. Not sure why. It was along King Street in Old Town, Alexandria, Va., where (about eight years ago) I first saw the traffic crosswalk signals that count down to zero.

BTW, my mom and uncle grew up in a house on Henry Street in South Amboy, N.J., and my uncle still lives there.

#######

Tomorrow, I return to work for the first time since Thursday because I still took off the two work week days even though I did not go on the Jersey shore vacation.

The Union Street Public House along Union Street near the Potomac River, Old Town Alexandria, Va., 3:03PM, Sept. 12, 2011.

I had lunch with a blogger friend "HotLipz" or "Hot Lips" from my old / original Arcturus blog days in the one and only time I met her (about 3 years ago).She lived / lives near Richmond.

#######

The actual "four-day weekend" sucked in that I had a lot of conflicts and arguments -- including with a bitch of a (female) bartender at local establishment (the manager was going to re-seat us but D. and I simply left); with J. (enough is enough), only this time over an important issue involving a mutual friend; and that belligerent drunk of a gay rattlesnake whose initials I won't even list.

I did, however, make it to both Maryland and Virginia. That is, even if I didn't make it to the Jersey shore, I made it the hell out of the District this weekend.

The side foyer of the Augustana Lutheran Church in Washington, D.C., 1:09PM, Sept. 12, 2011.

This church is located barely 500 feet from my building, but I had never been there before today. I stopped by (after calling) to drop off a bag of (slightly) used clothing that no longer fit me.

If I ever become religious again, I'm going to give up my lapsed Catholicism and EITHER become Jewish or Lutheran. 

#######

One of the expansive woodsy yards along S. Glen Road, Potomac, Md., 5:58PM, Sept. 11, 2011.

#######

But it is also true that I had a nice Saturday and Sunday with LP up in Grosvenor and on a ride in Montgomery County from Rockville through Potomac that took us all the way to Travilah (and its 250+ year old oak tree) and today on the aforementioned solo walk followed by happy hour and dinner.

A decorative brick post at the edge of a driveway to one of the large mansions along S. Glen Rd., Potomac, Md., 5:57PM, Sept. 11, 2011.

We were moving quickly, hence the apparent shape. 

#######

LP and the Travilah oak tree, Travilah, Md., 6:13PM, Sept. 11, 2011. The tree is at least 230 years old (it was there when the U.S.Constitution was signed in 1787 and it was probably at least 50 years old at that point).

#######

I have approximately 50 pictures in all (including the ones featured in this entry) to post. I plan to post these over the next few days in subsequent entries.

Oh, yes, I avoided pretty much everything having to do with the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, but that is a separate topic.

Evening sky as seen from the corner of 15th St. and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, by the Treasury Department, Washington, D.C., 6:41PM, Sept. 12, 2011.

#######

OK, my next planned entry is for tomorrow (Tuesday), except I may have to finish one of my compliance letters, in which case my next update would be on Wednesday.

--Regulus

No comments: