Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tipped the Bucket -OR- The National TRACES

Reposted image: A nice symmetrical tree on a grassy plot created by the sinuous intersection of Connecticut Avenue and Ashmead Place, NW, Washington, D.C., 5:13PM, Aug. 14, 2011.

#######

So I was going to leave my work computer at the office but I brought it home again. Alas, I've not been working as quickly as I wanted on the compliance cases -- I will have only finished one such letter by tomorrow of the four.

Also reposted image: Leafy yard in the 2300 block of Ashmead Place, Washington, D.C., 5:11PM, Aug. 14, 2011. I'm reposting this image as well because I also like it.

#######

I am going to leave work a bit early tomorrow to bring the computer home before going to the Nationals baseball game. It is the annual work summer outing at Nats stadium and I'm bringing Gary. I think we're playing the Phillies.

Thereafter, he and I are going to walk into Capitol Hill to Bullfeathers. The walk will be via New Jersey Avenue, under I-395 and above the train tracks next to that old stable where there is this old white horse I've seen in the dark over the years. This is not to say that I hang around that spot (well, at least anymore now that Navy Yard has been so radically changed and Nation, not to mention Wet and Secrets / Ziegfields are gone, with the latter two replaced by aforementioned baseballs stadium.

#######

Cumulonimbus (thunderstorm) clouds with the top fringed in white sunlight as seen from the intersection of 13th and U Streets, NW, Washington, D.C., 6:03PM, Aug. 18, 2011.

#######

Weather Update ...

BWI Airport got hammered with a thunderstorm late this afternoon that dropped 1.72" of rainfall (with some hail too). Dulles got 0.62". Meanwhile, our old frickin' friend Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) got ... ALTOGETHER NOW ...

TRACE!

I despise that climate station spot. Not to put too fine a point on it, but it absolutely sucks as a climate spot, although D.C.'s climate also sucks.

I hope the little tipping rain bucket tips over --right into the Potomac River. And I hope its snow board / snow ruler ends up as a paddle in some fraternity house (do they still have those paddles?). 


But at least Sterling LWX and the Sue Palka-cabra are happy.

Of note, it actually rained a few tenths of an inch around Dupont Circle but it was obvious that nothing was happening at that same DCA crap spot.

DCA is now at 21.16" year to date while BWI is at 26.86" so that's a 5.70" difference. I've already discussed in an entry earlier this week the massive year-to-date difference between DCA and Central Park (NYC) (over 19").

There are some t-storms in the area tonight but they'll crap out / miss D.C. OF COURSE.

The Sterling LWX radar in base mode (not as impressive as composite mode, but indicative of actual precip falling) at 10:52PM, Aug. 18, 2011.

#######

And since now I'm ticked off, and since it has been a while since I've posted the Oooza Il' Magnifico Good Luck Charm ...

Here it is. Remember, print out this picture and fold it up and keep it in your wallet to ward off GOP Tea Party / Rick Perry / Michele Bachmann crazies AND evil gay spirits.

Speaking of the GOP and things evil, I highly recommend this very funny Gene Lyons piece in Salon on why the Republican Party might just nominate Rick Perry.

#######

OK, that's all for now.

Oh, yes, so it turns out that with this upgraded text editing capability, Internet Explorer 9 can work. But both it and Chrome still have issues with all kinds of unwanted edits arising each time I do something basic. To me, nothing was as easy as Firefox.

And with that, I really will end this entry. Except for this picture from an old Bugs Bunny - Elmer Fudd cartoon image that I found online and came across while looking for the above Firefox image. 

"Dr. Killpatient! Dr. Killpatient! Waahaahaa!!"

#######

My next planned update will be over the weekend.  And I'll have another geographic trivia piece. 

--Regulus

No comments: