Sunday, August 21, 2011

Looking Out for Stormy Weather -OR- In the Crow's Nest

The view from my 5th floor apartment window during the downpour / squall, Washington, D.C., 3:30PM, Aug. 21, 2011.

#######

As I am wrote part of this entry, a drenching thunderstorm occurred outside. It has been a gloomy afternoon with thunder growing and booming across the miles and now a squall line is moving across the D.C. area northeast across the Baltimore area and into New Jersey as well as southwestward into southern Virginia.

We are under a severe thunderstorm watch as well as a flash flood watch.

Here is the NWS radar mosaic for the northeastern continental United States at 1908UTC (3:08PM EDT) Aug. 21, 2011.

#######

Here is the Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in base reflectivity mode, 3:06PM EDT, Aug. 21, 2011.

#######

Here is the radar image for the same time in composite mode (showing precipitation falling and activity inside the cloud).

In summary, we seem to have tilted into a wet pattern even though DCA is technically as of yesterday still 2.65" below normal year - to - date at 22.77." 

Uh, oh ... no heatwave and drought?? That means the the Sue Palka-cabra will be very upset indeed. 


GRR ... ROAR!!!


"It Now Has a Name -- Irene"*

*OK, that's what WOODY! wrote in the LWX discussion earlier today.

Speaking of the weather, Tropical Storm Irene has formed near the U.S. Virgin Islands and is presently located about 70 miles ESE of St. Croix. It is a minimal tropical cycle but it is expected to develop into a hurricane and -- five days from now, so this is subject to change -- strike near Miami before moving up the Florida peninsula and eventually the Appalachian piedmont, presumably as a drenching sub-tropical / transitioning to extratropical system.

Here is the National Hurricane Center's five-day track issued earlier today for Tropical Storm (future Hurricane?) Irene. Source here.

NOTE: This track forecast is subject to change and one way or another Irene may have a major impact on the Eastern U.S. in  5 to 7 days.

Jersey Shore Bound

Gary, LP, and I are supposed to be going to Wildwood, New Jersey on Friday for an extended Jersey shore vacation that for me is very badly needed. It is possible Irene may impact our trip.

Yes, everyone in New Jersey refers to it as "the Jersey shore" -- and they did so LOOOOONG before that term became so laden with pop cultural connotations / baggage.

Here is a picture that my friend Joe took earlier today (Aug. 21, 2011) from the beach in Bradley Beach, New Jersey, where he and his wife went to visit. Joe and I are both from the same part of Monmouth County, New Jersey near the shore.

#######

I've been stuck in D.C., like, forever now and I can't stand it.

I realize almost everyone not in D.C. thinks of images such as THIS when they hear the name "Washington, D.C."

#######

Or maybe this comes to mind.

#######

But for me ...

Yours truly standing in  early evening setting sunlight by my apartment window, Washington, D.C., 7:02PM, Aug. 20, 2011.

#######

This is my Washington, D.C. ...

My dusty wee efficiency about 1/2 mile from Dupont Circle and next to the noisy intersection of 16th and U Streets and New Hampshire Avenue, NW. I pay $1,014 per month, though this unit today would go for more like $1,300 per month. Rarely nowadays, it includes all utilities and water.

That's Harvey and Flippo on the bed and my gold dust croton that has grown in 2 years so large and lop-sided.

#######

Little Baby Oooza Good Luck Charm

What I need is a major change of fortune. Perhaps my Little Baby Oooza Good Luck Charm will help.

What's the Little Baby Oooza Good Luck Charm, you ask?

Well, for starters, consider that in the poetic nouns of assembly or assemblage, a group crows is referred to as a murder ... as in a murder of crows -- though, actually, scientifically such a group is called simply a  flock.

However, this is a special kind of crow called an Oooza and a collection of them is an Ooze ... as in an Ooze of Ooozas.

I'm thinking in particular of an Ooze of little Baby Oooza chicks that upon hatching fly here and there to various polities and climes.

The one that nested at the 17th Street Avian Sanctuary is Oooza Il' Stupenda, the Gay-Lord of 17th Street, pictured below.

This image of this particular Oooza is ideal to ward off GOP crazies (Bachmann, Perry and assorted Teabaggers) and evil gays spirits. Click on the image, print it out, and fold it up and keep it in your wallet or purse. I keep two copies -- one in my purse wallet and another in my hope chest.

Here's another image of Local Public Figure Oooza with which to do the same. Now if I could just get a couple of Local Comedian Mr. Sirius, I'd have a complete set of Lucky Charms.

Alas, not even the Little Baby Oooza Good Luck Charm can make President Obama a genuine progressive who will fight for anything and not surrender before he's even started.

I have no idea if this is a real or photoshopped image. I'm guessing it's real.

#######

Musical Interlude ...

But in the spirit of crows and other black birds, let me post this lovely song Walking in Rhythm by the Blackbyrds from 1974:


########

Too Much Blogging = Social Rudeness

Anyway, I better wrap up this entry. I've been updating this blog more frequently than usual lately. Indeed, that contributed to my being a no-show at Quill's parents' 45th wedding anniversary reception.

By the time I finished blogging yesterday, it was already 530PM. By the time I showered / got ready, it was 6PM. When I got to the U Street / Cardozo Metro to head up to Silver Spring, I discovered the Red Line above Ft. Totten was closed all weekend with only stupid shuttle service. 

It would have taken over an hour to get there, by which time the event was over. I need to make my apologies.

#######

As for my work week, I'm concerned about my involvement on a particular task, but I will refrain from discussing that now.

--Regulus

No comments: