Monday, August 15, 2011

The Great Wet Way Vs. The Stagnant Summer Swamp

The leafy yards in the 2300 block of Ashmead Place, NW, Washington, D.C., 5:11PM, Aug. 14, 2011.

This is two-syllable "A" street in D.C., even though it is called "Place." The name is actually misspelled "Ashmeade" on one of the signs, though I suppose the word itself is more properly spelled with the "e."


So I have a "new" computer -- my work laptop that I am able to bring home and use as my personal computer. At least think that's the idea here. And I was able to connect to the internet quite quickly. However, it seems all too easy and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong just by using in this way and to post a blog entry. As it is, my old computer died -- it wasn't any malware but rather the monitor just completely crapped out. It was sort of psychedelic looking.

A large, spherical looking tree growing in the grassy swath created by the "sinuous" intersection of Connecticut Avenue and Ashmead Place, NW, Washington, D.C., 5:13PM, Aug. 14, 2011.

I was walking to Pines of Florence (again!) where I had an early dinner with Gary and Howie.


The trouble is, this computer has the Windows 7 operating system and it wants to update continually -- that damn yellow and black exclamation mark always seems to be there -- and these updates take forever. In addition, I only have Internet Explorer at work and never tried to download Firefox, which I prefer.

Ominous clouds developing into a thunderstorm (that formed north of D.C.), as seen over the Brittany and Hampton Court at the intersection of 16th St. and New Hampshire Ave., NW, Washington, D.C., 6:54PM, Aug. 14, 2011.

I live in one of those two buildings. Guess which.


I tried to download Firefox 5 earlier (a no no?) when I went back to work to retrieve this computer but it disappeared when I interrupted an update that was taking too long. I was at work and was in a hurry to leave. I re-downloaded it tonight since it is far easier for me to use Firefox to post blog entries than Explorer -- the latter totally screws up any attempt to justify specific paragraphs in Blogger and justifies the ENTIRE entry, which I don't like when I have text on the right side of images. Likewise it is much more difficult to cut and paste text.

Now because this is still a work computer, I may tone down the political themed entries.

An approaching thunderstorm located west of D.C. as seen from my 5th floor apartment, Washington, D.C., 7:04PM, Aug. 14, 2011.


My plan is to take the computer home again tomorrow and post a full blog length, including a discussion about the weather. A large and complex (and somewhat out-of-season) low pressure system with attendant fronts (and backside upper level low) slowly spiraled up the Eastern Seaboard.

Towering cumulus clouds in a tropical maritime air mass at evening as seen from Connecticut and Wyoming Avenues, NW, Washington, D.C., 6:38PM, Aug. 14, 2011.


As with the cut-off low that spiraled about for a week in June, it certainly gave us some tropical maritime air mass puffy / towering clouds of great beauty. Unlike that agonizing event, though, in which t-storms approached from EVERY direction over the course of 7 days yet EVERYTHING missed D.C., this time we got at least some showers and t-storms.

Here was the Fort Dix (DIX) NWS radar in base mode reflectivity, 2:37PM EDT, Aug. 14, 2011.


There was ACTUALLY a deluge here in D.C. and at National Airport (DCA) last night that bumped up a nearly non-existent daily total of 1.37" of precip, the most in a single calendar day in 6 months and responsible for nearly all the entire surplus. BWI Airport had 0.65" and just 0.08" at Dulles (IAD).

The yearly totals through the end of yesterday were with normals in parentheses:

Month: 2.78" +1.38" (1.40")
Year: 21.16" -3.71" (24.87")

Month: 2.33" +0.79" (1.54")
Year: 24.89" -1.21" (26.10")

Month: 1.17" -0.52" (1.69")
Year: 22.79" -3.37" (26.16")

Of note, I think I made an error in a previous entry when I said that BWI and IAD were 6-1/2" above DCA -- I may have been subtracting DCA's actual total from the BWI and IAD year-to-date normals.

The forecasted / promised day-long rain did not happen and instead the main weather system was over New Jersey and New York ... Central Park (NYC) had 5.81" of precip, a daily record, and 6+ at Newark Airport. Meanwhile, JFK Airport had a new all-time daily record rainfall of 7.80".

LaGuardia Airport (LGA) had 6.60" and Newark Airport (EWR) had 6.40", both daily records.

The NWS radar mosaic for the Northeastern quadrant of the U.S., 1838 UTC (2:38PM EDT), Aug. 14, 2011.


BTW, the previous JFK Airport all-time daily record was 6.27" set June 30, 1984 ... I was in Long Branch / Sea Bright, N.J., about 30 miles (on a straight line) away that day ... And I think I remember that drenching rainy day. (JFK had a lot of meaning to me back in the 1970s as that was where I would go to fly to Belgium to visit my mom. By the '80s, my mom was already in Glen Burnie, Md.)

The year-to-date totals for four stations are as follows (with departures from the new 1981 - 2011 mean):

NYC: 40.36" +9.43" (30.93")

LGA: 38.26: +10.15" (28.11")

EWR: 37.11" +7.54" (29.57")

JFK: 32.58" +5.52" (27.06")

The 2011 difference between these four climate stations and DCA are as follows:

DCA - NYC: -19.20"
DCA - LGA: -17.10"
DCA - EWR: -15.95"
DCA - JFK: -11.42"

Here were the same 2010 differences at the same point in the year (through Aug. 14):

DCA - NYC: 20.53" - 30.37" = -9.84"

DCA - LGA: 20.53" - 26.12" = -5.56"

DCA - EWR: 20.53" - 28.08" = -7.55"

DCA - JFK: 20.53" - 25.48" = -4.95"

Long story short, I think there is an actual climate difference between Washington, D.C., and the New York City area in which the D.C. area is always losing out on the weather, always "chasing it" (as someone once said).


Approaching thunderstorm at dusk as seen from the corner of T and 18th Streets, NW, Washington, D.C., 7:35PM, Aug. 14, 2011.

I was heading to Larry's Lounge (seen in the lower left of the above picture). It actually did not rain immediately. Instead, there was lots of lightning and thunder, some wind ... and then nothing ... and I was convinced we we going to get diddly squat (as usual). But all of a sudden, the heavens opened up around 10PM and it deluged for a good 20 minutes to half hour.

Yes, I was at LL that long. Actually, I didn't leave until nearly midnight as Jamie and his friend (who returned to Chicago today) showed up.


OK, I think that's all for now. I've been home watching Frasier and The Golden Girls tonight but it is time for bed. I may update this blog tomorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully, I didn't do anything bad using this computer to post a blog entry and will get let go.


No comments: