Monday, July 18, 2011

A Patch of Blue Sky, A Puff of Summer Heat

**Updated 11:00PM 6/24/2014: See below.**

A cumulus cloud field in a warm blue summer sky over Washington, D.C., 1:53PM, July 17, 2011.

#######

Just a quick update tonight. I'm home watching Frasier and The Golden Girls and I'm starting another week ... Sigh ...

Another view of puffy cumulus (congestus) clouds over Washington, D.C., as seen from my apartment window and looking above the Brittany, 1:53PM, July 17, 2011.

#######

It is supposed to turn fiercely hot later this week and humid as the tremendous ridge / heat wave over the central U.S. moves eastward. Highs in D.C. are forecasted to reach 103F in downtown D.C. on Friday -- and heat indices likely 110F+ and even Sterling LWX will have to issue an excessive heat warning.

There is also tremendous drought across Texas and Oklahoma, but the Teabaggers and GOP governors are trying to pray it -- and the gay -- away.

U.S. Drought Monitor as of July 12, 2011 showing extreme drought conditions across Texas, Louisiana and into parts of Georgia.

Of note, October 2010 - June 2011 was the driest 9-month period ever across Texas. I was in Texas for part of the incredibly hot summer of 1980 when I was 10 years old. By contrast, the D.C. area and mid-Atlantic region is, at most, "abnormally dry" (the least serious category on this Palmer Index).

NWS forecast page for Washington, D.C., valid 18 - 22 July 2011 with the ugly highs for Thursday and Friday circled.

The hottest it has EVER been officially in Washington, D.C., was 106F on July 20, 1930 and also Aug. 6, 1918 -- both pre-DCA Washington, D.C., records.

The hottest it has ever been at DCA was 105F on Aug. 17, 1997. I remember that day.

Also, climatologically, July 16 - 28 is the hottest period of the year with an average daily high at DCA of 89F, so July 21/22 is actually the midpoint of the peak of summer. Same source

Oh, yes, the new 1981 - 2010 30-year climate normals are out but have not been updated yet in the new averages used by the forecast offices. I'm expecting that 89F will actually click up to 90F. The warmest low -- 71F -- is almost certain to increase to 72F or 73F.

FYI: Here is the NWS forecast for Crescent City, Calif., for the same period. (Yes, the welcome rain showers tonight are a bit out of season and the temps are JUST RIGHT.)

#######

Turning to me and my issues ...

Yours truly in the mirror tonight.

#######

Apropos of nothing ...

"I want your psycho, your vertical stick
Want you in my rear window, baby, you're sick
I want your love
Love, love, love, I want your love
(Love, love, love, I want your love)"

-- Lady Gaga, Bad Romance

#######

**Updated 11:00PM 6/24/2014: Content removed.**

I took a walk yesterday down to the Watergate, where (as I've mentioned) I find it oddly serene and peaceful.

Outside one of the buildings making up the Watergate complex with address at 600 New Hampshire Avenue (hence the name), Washington, D.C., 3:48PM, July 17, 2011.

I think this is the Watergate Office Building (not to be confused with the Watergate Hotel and Office Building where the famous break-in occurred in June 1972).

The Watergate 600 sign. The 600 Restaurant actually closed and a new place called Rivers at the Potomac has opened or is to open soon. It even advertises a Monday - Thursday 10PM - 11PM happy hour aimed at folks leaving shows at the next door Kennedy Center.

#######

Another photo of yours truly seated outside the Watergate East at 2500 Virginia Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C., 4:29PM, July 17, 2011.

#######

Later on, I met up with LP and went back to Pines of Florence on Connecticut Avenue, where I went with K. on Friday night. Then I went to Larry's Lounge, where I met up with Kristof and had a very pleasant night.

OK, that's all for now. My next planned update will be around Thursday or Friday.

--Regulus

No comments: