Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cursed Dental Woes and D.C. Summer Heat; Blessed Rains and Good Works

**Updated 6/24/2014: 10:55PM: See below.**

A towering cumulus / cumulus congestus cloud developing into a cumulonimbus / thunderstorm just south of Washington, D.C., as seen in the 93F heat of a high summer extended evening from the corner of U and 15th Streets, NW, 6:15PM, July 19, 2011.

A cluster of thunderstorms formed south of D.C. and moved into southern Maryland / Northern Neck of Virginia.

Towering cumulus clouds over L'Enfant Plaza , Washington, D.C., where I work, 5:49PM, July 19, 2011. This was taken yesterday.

#######

Dental Woes (Part XVI or Something like that)

This is kind of a rough week in that I'm concerned about some renewed dental issues, specifically, I think I may again have some sort of gum / tooth problem involving the replaced crown.

Recall I had a root canal on this tooth as well. My biggest fear is that something becomes (re)infected and my face gets swollen / disfigured. I need to go back to the dentist to see what's up with this.

I really didn't want to have to repost this image of this poor little guy but I have so many dental issues.

I try to have very good oral hygiene -- brushing and flossing regularly -- but I'm living with a lot of dental issues.

As I've written before, good hippo oral hygiene is essential.

#######

Speaking of hippos ...

I've been meaning for a while to post this sort of picture, or adaptation of it. This is a picture of a UPS truck in the 1200 block of N Street, NW, Washington, D.C., earlier tonight as I was walking home.

"Synchronizing the World of Hippos!"

Yes, that's a picture of my three plush hippos --Flippo, Harvey and Little Aurora -- that I "Painted" onto the side of the truck.

#######

Work Wednesday

I stayed a bit late at work tonight (615PM) as I didn't get in until a bit after 10AM because I overslept (boo). I had a lot of FOIA work to do today -- my Recovery Act-related compliance work is on hiatus until early August.

The directory of the curiously named Zion Building at 1017 12th Street, NW, Washington, D.C., 6:52PM, July 20, 2011. I'm sure posting this image / name will get some weird hits on my blog. Some of the organizations in the building also sound curious: Falcon Express and the Lojec Foundation?

#######

I actually got off at Metro Center and walked home via Club Nine, where I stopped inside its crowded, dimly lit, well air-conditioned darkness and had a drink, or rather, two since it is two for one. I was there for about an hour. I got home around 830PM (it's still light this time of year) and I'm watching Frasier reruns on Hallmark as I try to figure out what to blog about.

The intersection of 12th and N Streets, NW, Washington, D.C., 6:59PM, July 20, 2011.

#######

Political Rant (Truncated)

**Updated 10:55PM 6/24/2014: Content removed.**

Some appropriate image irony -- Murdoch, the worst thing ever to come out of Australian, going off the Australian Great Bight cliffs in a Fox News Lies van.

Ha ha

#######

"I Bless the Rains (and Good Works) Down in Africa ..."

At this point, I would like to post the following e-mail excerpt from my friend W., who is spending two months in Africa in Nairobi working for a UN-sponsored refugee facility. The images I have are just ones I found online and not really representative of anything.

While I'm bitching and complaining about nothing and wasting my life here in the Capital of the Late Stage Empire in the early 21st Century, Wendy is doing good work, God's Work. (She gave me permission to post this excerpt of an email she sent me last week. I inserted a few extra paragraph breaks.)

From: Wendy
To: [Regulus]
Date: Sunday, July 17, 2011, 3:13 PM
Subject: Re. "I bless the rains down in Africa ..."

"Uganda was certainly interesting. The Kampala conference was a study in contrasts. African governments have an interesting way of ignoring certain human rights. Rather distressing and frustrating.

"I did take an overnight bus up to Juba a week ago Wednesday, and miraculously, things worked out. I met up with people I'd met in an online travel forum who had also planned to be in Juba for independence, and they were an enjoyable trio - a Scottish-Czech whistlemaker, a fellow from Vancouver, and a girl from German Switzerland. We found a regular sort of apartment room to rent ($16/person/night, instead of $250/night, which is what hotels were asking - the ones that weren't completely booked up with dignitaries, of course).

"Unfortunately, I had to have money sent to me by Western Union for the first time in my life; after being told that ATMs were plentiful in Juba, I arrived to find that they only worked for local transactions (and possibly that US sanctions on Sudan had extended to the whole country's banking systems). But, things worked out.

"Independence was in some ways a logistical and event-planning mess, but the energy of the people there made up for it. It is crazy hot there too. I've gotten used to cold Nairobi, and Juba was kind of a kick in the pants. I don't know how I'm going to manage DC's weather when I get back.

"Which happens in 31 days, to be exact - today is the one month mark, and I'm happy about it. It will be really, really good to get home ..."

Cheers,
[W.]

I'm looking forward to her return.

#######

The Universe Is Offline??

I wanted to post an APOD picture but the site is inexplicably down tonight.

#######

Weather Update: Another Scuzzy Triple Digit Heat Wave

And, yes, we are still on target for that disgusting heat the next three days with highs of 99F to 104F air temp and heat indexes of 110F to 115F. Grotesque. Much of the extended southern region (all of the Washington/Baltimore area) is under an excessive heat warning.

Sterling (LWX) CWA forecast webpage, 10:19PM, July 20, 2011.

As I've written before, the requirements for that in the Sterling LWX NWS forecast area are rather strict -- 110F heat index -- and the NWS meteorologists in the LWX forecast office weirdly make a huge fuss about how the heat index MUST be 105F to 109F for a heat advisory anything under 105F requires nothing. Sue Palka also lives for these distinctions, along with drought and no winter snow.

Somehow these numbers are sacrosanct and not reaching either 105F or 110F heat indexes on the most grotesque of summer days, but instead only 104F or 109F -- and thus not having to issue such weather advisories -- "proves" something. I'm not sure what.

Sort of like with Wall-P when the Dow goes up.

"ITISWHATITIS WHATITIS ..." "Dot - dot - dot - dash - dot - dash - dash - dash - dot - dash ... "Click click clack clack click clack clack ... " "0101101010111010 110100011010 010101011..."

Of note, all of New Jersey is also under an excessive heat warning but the criteria in the Mount Holly (Philadelphia) and New York City forecast areas are a bit lower (105F).

The Mount Holly (PHI) county warning area map of advisories as of 10:42PM, July 20, 2011.

At least we aren't in a horrendous drought like last summer.

#######

Earlier at work, I was listening to that BostonPete.com "Soundstage" program I like and I had the piano / banjo version of The Charleston (!).

OK, that's all for now. My next planned update will be in a few days.

--Regulus

No comments: