Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Weatherless in Washington -OR- More D.C. Summertime Nothing Crap

**Updated 1:45AM 6/19/2014: See below.**

A towering cumulus congestus cloud over Washington, D.C., as seen from L'Enfant Plaza, 6:17PM, June 28, 2011.

This cloud was ultimately ineffectual at making ANY precipitation. Go f-yourself cloud.

#######

**Updated 1:45AM 6/19/2014: Content removed / adjusted.**

Here was the frickin' LWX radar in base reflectivity mode at 9:15PM EDT tonight (June 28, 2011) showing EVERYTHING missing D.C. I even hate those letters "D.C." now.

#######

Unlike in some years when there is just drought all around, this year there have been about 10 to 15 misses in the past 8 weeks. Truth to tell, I've actually not observed a year THIS consistently spiteful in terms of missed weather.

The Northeastern U.S. quadrant radar mosaic at 0228 UTC (10:22PM EDT) June 29 (June 28), 2011 showing massive rainfall / MSC's everywhere EXCEPT on ANY trajectory for Shitty D.C.

#######

**Updated 1:45AM 6/19/2014: Content removed / adjusted.**

Let's start a 35-day countdown of "no measurable rainfall" at frickin' DCA and its shitty rain bucket since that's where we are going and set a new record for longest driest stretch ever.


Except I can't move just quite yet.

New Jersey is my home home and I'll look for some other place. I was thinking of perhaps Eureka, Calif., for a period of time.

A picture of the Pacific Ocean near Eureka, Calif., that I found online.

I supposed I'd get bored and maybe even be lonely there. OK, maybe it would be better if I went to Seattle or Portland.

#######

Anyway, more immediately, though, I think Gary and I are going to Wildwood (or rather, Wildwood Crest) New Jersey in late August for 3 days.

A picture of the gurgling surf at Wildwood Crest, N.J., 3:21PM, Aug. 18, 2009.

The sand dunes at the edge of the beach, Wildwood Crest, N.J., 4:17PM, Aug. 18, 2009.

#######

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time there was a all-day heavy rain event in D.C., as opposed to 100F heat, shitty / stagnate / smelly air quality, stifling humidity, or below normal rain / snow?

Clouds at sunset as seen from the intersection of 15th and P Streets, NW, Washington, D.C., 8:38PM, June 28, 2011.

#######

BTW, I heard that there was some crazy record low relative humidity event in Las Vegas yesterday with a 107F air temp and -22F dew point, giving a "dew point depression" of 129F and relative humidity of 0.6%. Source here.

The Whole Foods in the 1400 block of P Street, NW, Washington, D.C., 8:37PM, June 28, 2011. This is an overpriced, yuppie presumptuous, rather impractical grocery store.

I had stopped into No. 9 after work.

#######

Anyway, I'm home tonight watching Frasier on Hallmark. I have social engagements the next two evenings including -- I THINK -- a trip to the Nat'l Press Club after work tomorrow with a colleague friend who is a member.

My next planned update won't be for a few days.

--Regulus

No comments: