Tuesday, June 7, 2011

How Green is my (Spring) Valley -OR- How Deep is my DC Gay Pride?

**Updated 1:28AM 6/19/2014: See below.**

The 4400 block of Harrison Street, NW, Washington, D.C., 5:33PM, June 5, 2011. This is close to Friendship Heights Metro and the DC-Maryland line.

This is the 3-syllable "H" street in this part of the District of Columbia. The 3-syllable "G" street just south of it is, (not-so) creatively, Garrison Street.

#######

So the pictures in this entry were taken on my Sunday walk -- following a very nice lunch with my dear friend K. (she of the Hippograms blog) at Chadwick's in Friendship Heights) -- past that cherry tree in Battery Kemble Park that I mentioned in the entry before the past one.

I am not going to go into a great deal of detail on these images.

The 4400 block of Harrison Street, NW, Washington, D.C., about 100 feet farther west and one minute later than the lead image above, 5:34PM, June 5, 2011.

#######

The house and yard at 4523 Fessenden Street, NW, Washington, D.C., 5:41PM, June 5, 2011. This house is actually at the oblique intersection of Fessenden and River Road right where the two intersect Western Avenue at the DC-Maryland line.

#######

The house and yard with trees at 4528 Fessenden Street, NW (directly across the street from #4523), 5:42PM, June 5, 2011.

#######

The 4500 block of 44th Street, NW, Washington, D.C., 5:47PM, June 5, 2011.

This is looking south and the 4500 block refers to the distance north of the U.S. Capitol and north-south running 44th Street means it is 44 blocks to the west of the U.S. Capitol. In Cartesian coordinates, it is right at the y=-x line in "Quadrant IV."

On 17th Street, NW, the intersection is next to Cobalt at R and 17th (1700 and 1700) because there is no single letter "J" street.

#######

**Updated 1:28AM 6/19/2014: Content removed and dead YouTube link replaced.**

#######

Updated 7:28PM 6/8/2011: This is the 1977 Saturday Night Fever version of the song I found on YouTube. I love Robin Gibb's 1977 hair.

OK, that's enough of that whole topic, except for posting this video of the Bee Gees singing their actual song ...



I love Robin Gibbs' 1977 hair. And Barry Gibbs appears to have a double nose at 0:12. Maurice Gibbs, of course, unfortunately passed away in 2003.

#######

A (clearly not homeless) man asleep on a low wall at the corner of 13th and U Streets, NW, Washington, D.C., 3:04AM, June 5, 2011. This was in the wee hours of Saturday night -- or rather, Sunday morning -- after I had been at Nellie's. I was walking home west on U Street.

#######

Anyway, continuing with my D.C. walking pictures ...

The house at 3812 47th Street, NW, Washington, D.C., 6:08PM, June 5, 2011.

This is in the Spring Valley section of D.C. -- where the street grid system starts to break down in a series of wending side streets lined with multi-million dollar homes.

#######

A towering (northern red?) oak tree in the yard of the house at 3715 48th Street, NW, Washington, D.C., 6:11PM, June 5, 2011.

#######

Now this is what I'm talking about ...

The house at 4900 Glenbrook Road, NW, Washington, D.C., 6:19PM, June 5, 2011. This is the "heart" of the Spring Valley section of D.C.

I've always thought this house -- and the one next to it, 4880 Glenbrook Rd., NW -- is (are) among the wealthiest (likely) private residences ones in Washington, D.C. Anything more ornate or just larger than this one is usually an ambassadorial residence of a wealthier European country and is behind a fence of some sort.

This house actually has a de facto deep mote / grassy creek in front of it.

Of note, Spring Valley is actually -- honest to God -- an EPA Superfund site because of some World War I-era chemical munitions found about 18 years ago that was buried there long ago at a site owned by American University that was used by the Army.

#######

Oh, yeah, almost as an afterthought, I made it to the sour cherry tree in Battery Kemble Park, Washington, D.C., 6:33PM, June 5, 2011.

The tree's cherries this year were few and limp, a bit past ripe. I think the tree isn't doing all that well. I'm not even sure I'm going to try to make a special visit to it again at this time of year.

#######

Yours truly by the tree in question, Battery Kemble Park, Washington, D.C., 6:35PM, June 5, 2011.

I then walked on a wending route that actually took me out of the park and over to Dexter Street, and thence to Foxhall Road, which was actually a mistake since once you are on Foxhall, you are pretty much stuck on it for a mile until you reach Reservoir Road. Then I made it over to Georgetown, where I caught the D6 Metrobus back to Dupont Circle by 8PM -- but it stays light seemingly forever this time of year.

#######

Howie at Stoney's Lounge Washington, D.C., 8:13PM, June 5, 2011. I had never actually been there before.

Here is better picture of the place.

I went to Stoney's to meet Gary, Kristof, and Gloria after my walk. Later, I went to LL to meet J. for a bit and then I finally got home around 1030PM.

#######

On Monday, I got a haircut at the Hair Cuttery near Dupont Circle. I asked for B., who does what I think is a good job, and I actually managed somehow to cut a big line. I felt a bit awkward about that.

The Hair Cuttery, Washington, D.C., 6:14PM, June 6, 2011.

Yes, that's a picture of me in that vapid yuppie crowd.

#######

OK, that's all for now. My next planned update will be over the weekend. Oh, GOD, it's Capital Pride Weekend in D.C.

Maybe I'll just go up to suburban Maryland this weekend.

#######

OK, that really is all for now.

G'night.

--Regulus

No comments: