Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Two Spots of Red and a Patch of Green

Dupont Circle and its central fountain, Washington, D.C., 10:41AM, May 2, 2011

#######

This is my midweek update featuring a little bit of my personal doings, a little bit of weather, and a little bit of political commentary. I'll try to keep it free of usual complaining about the you-know-who-and-what mafia and instead mention a choo-choo story.

The small overgrown garden of rosebushes and herb bushes growing in the tiny corner plot at 1721 19th Street, NW, Washington, D.C., 1:10PM, May 2, 2011. This at the intersection of Swann Street, NW, on a sunny, electric green spring day in Washington, D.C., 1:10PM, May 2, 2011.

#######

On Monday, I took the day off outright for three health-related appointments -- one dental and two medical. I was quite tired and hung over from the previous night's unexpected festivities -- or whatever you want to call it -- and I didn't actually get to bed until 3AM. I'm going to refrain here from any political commentary but I highly recommend reading the full Michael Lind column that is excerpted below.

The rosebushes growing thickly in the same corner plot at 1721 S Street, NW, Washington, D.C., as seen 53 hours and 46 minutes later -- that is, 6:56PM, May 4, 2011 -- as I was approaching from the other direction.

Gee, time marches on.

#######

Monday Dental and Medical

I went to the dentist's office in the morning, where the dentist decided it best to keep my new permanent crown in with the non-permanent cement since it is holding fine. Recall he used this because I had that developing gum infection that has since cleared up though I am still taking the last of the amoxicillin.

Same place and time as in the picture directly above, except a few paces back to get the full corner into view.

#######

The two medical related appointments where in Chevy Chase, Md., near Friendship Heights Metro. The first was to the MedStar facility where I had my doctor appointment about 10 days ago. This was for the blood and pee work. I'm concerned that the drinking the night before could skew or screw up the results.

#######

Removing a Great Red Spot and a Little Red Spot from Planet Nose

Finally, I went to the Georgetown Univ. Hospital dermatologist's office -- which is also located in Chevy Chase a block farther north along Wisconsin Ave. It was there that I unexpectedly had a procedure to remove two red blemishes on my nose. These are objects known as fibrous papules, and one of them had been on the tip of it for about a decade or so and the other for at least 4 years.

To me, the tip one always bothered me and sometimes it was extra red, so much so that it looked like a great big red spot on the tip of my nose.

Yeah, kinda like this Great Red Spot.

Interestingly, I had a nearly hour wait in corner room where dermatological procedures are performed. I thought it was because the office was too busy. But it turns out that my insurance company was being called to see if it would authorize the procedure.

Here I was waiting in the room where I subsequently had the dermatology department of Georgetown University Hospital, Chevy Chase, Md., 3:43PM, May 2, 2011.

#######

I say "interestingly" because it turns out that dermatologists often perform biopsies on fibrous papules because there is always the potential that one could in fact be a basal cell carcinoma -- and thus the biopsy in which it is shaved or otherwise surgically removed is a de facto quick cosmetic surgery done on the basis of medical need.

Another interesting factoid: the new owner of Larry's Lounge (who is Jewish) said that back in the 1960s and 1970s, the same medical need to correct a deviated septum (which I think I may have slightly) was used by many a young lady (especially in the Jewish community) to have cosmetic surgery on the nose.

A strange looking device in one of the rooms where skin surgeries are performed at the Georgetown Univ. Hospital's dermatology department located in Chevy Chase, Md., 3:42PM, May 2, 2011.

#######

The procedure was quite quick -- only about 10 minutes in all -- after being numbed up with a small needed in both places. Both are "cauterized" afterward with mini pins to keep them from bleeding. There was only a slight bit of that afterward.

Of course, I didn't look all that great afterward. I rode the Metro home from Friendship Heights with two small bandages on my nose.

Also, people look at you funny when you have any band aids on your face.


Yesterday with the bandages off, I looked like I had a big, ugly red pimple. Well, two, since there was a second one on the right side.

But by today both residual red spots were receding / lightening as the small wounds heal, and as of tonight, the areas of both look sort of like they did before the procedure -- except both have been removed and the areas are actually healing.

I've also followed the directions to keep both areas "oily" with Vaseline to avoid having the area dry out / form scabs.

If all goes well, it MIGHT just be that the surgery worked and neither will even leave a scar. If not, I'll have to dab make up over it.

An alley off the 1700 block of S Street, NW, Washington, D.C., 1:05PM, May 2, 2011. I think that house is 1722 or 1724 S Street.

#######

A Curious Restaurant

After the procedure and upon leaving Friendship Heights on the Metro, I got off the train at Woodley Park instead of Dupont Circle and met up with Chris T. and we had a really nice dinner at Pines of Florence restaurant on Connecticut Avenue.

Dinner at Pines of Florence, Washington, D.C., 6:08PM, May 2, 2011.

The restaurant is about a half mile or so above Dupont Circle. It's almost always empty and I'm not sure how it stays open. Last time I was there was with him on May 16, 2010 -- the day before my current job started.

#######

Weather Update ...

It actually started to rain around midnight after a rather warm, mostly sunny day yesterday as a frontal system moved in. Highs were in the lower 80s Fahrenheit.

It was a chilly, rainy, gloomy, nice morning.

About 1/2" to 2/3" of rain fell area-wide, including 0.58" at DCA, 0.64" at BWI, and 0.58" at IAD, the three regional airport climate recording stations.

#######

Political Commentary: Michael Lind On the Neocon's "World War IV"

Lastly, in terms of political commentary, I am opting here to post an excerpt of the latest outstanding column from Michael Lind, my favorite political philosopher and (by coincidence) my neighborhood neighbor. I talked to him once at the 17th Street Safeway.

Sunlight and shadows in an alley off Ashmead Place, NW, Washington, D.C., around 7PM, May 4, 2011, photo courtesy ChrisT.

Excerpt:

"9/11 fortuitously provided the American right with the external enemy that allowed it to go back into business demonizing the internal enemy, liberalism. And the idea of World War IV enabled the right once again to smear American liberals as defeatists or appeasers, if not traitors, in a struggle on the scale of the world wars and the Cold War.


"Central to the rhetoric of American rightists, be they literate neocons or populist wingnuts like Glenn Beck, is the accusation that America is on the verge of destruction by powerful enemies without and traitorous or defeatist progressives within. In this political psychodrama, the identity of the foreign threat is secondary. If terrorists identifying themselves with Peru’s Sendero Luminoso had massacred Americans on 9/11, conservatives might well have declared war on 'Latinofascism,' called for the invasion of Cuba, Venezuela and other leftist Latin American regimes, and denounced cultural relativism and multiculturalism and the welfare state for weakening the will of Americans to resist the imminent overthrow of Western civilization by Latin American Maoism.

"World War IV was never really about bin Laden or al-Qaida. It was always about American domestic politics. Whether or not al-Qaida fades away after the death of bin Laden, the right will continue to wage its American civil war, using World War IV as an excuse. Or maybe World War V or World War VI. Whatever."

Full column available here.

#######


Wednesday Wind-Up

My work day was fine -- it went fast and I was actually busy in a good way. After work, I went to the Hair Cuttery on Connecticut Avenue where I got a badly needed haircut. I then stopped at Larry's Lounge for a beer and was home by 8PM. Tonight, I've been watching as is my wont reruns of Frasier and The Golden Girls on the Hallmark Channel.

Larry's Lounge at happy hour, Washington, D.C., 7:06PM, May 4, 2011.

#######

The Avoided SOB Topic

Last night, I met Kristof and (unexpectedly) Jamie at Larry's Lounge. One of them mentioned that he had been at at the Other Place the previous night -- and presumably giving the SOB the giant tip money that the SOB, being a total SOB, demands. But I said I wouldn't talk about this topic or that SOB.

Yours truly at Larry's Lounge, Washington, D.C., 7:33PM, May 4, 2011.

#######

"Won't You Choo Choo Me Home??"

I would like to end this entry on an upbeat note.

Here is a picture of the 2-1/2 year old very precious and very intelligent son of my coworker and friend. He brought him to the National Capital Trolley Museum that is located in Silver Spring, Md., on Sunday, May 1, 2011.

D. told me a fascinating fact: the street car in this image states that it is bound for Long Branch. The car in question was in service many years ago in Toronto and the "Long Branch" in question is a lakeside park and a surrounding neighborhood on Lake Ontario. But the name Long Branch ultimate comes from, yes, my hometown of Long Branch, New Jersey.

#######

OK, that's all for now. My next planned update will probably be over the weekend.

--Regulus

5 comments:

к.нео.физ.де.му said...

congratulations on the safe and painless removal of the red spots.

i'm a little sad, as i never noticed them before and now won't be able to see them ever again...

:)

emater!

Regulus said...

Well, it was -- and in its healing phase, is -- still there.

When are you in town? I'd like to see you. I want to complain about, well, everything.

Regulus said...

I should probably make this comment section just generally open instead of having to do this hokey-pokey dance of passwords and logging in.

Linda said...

Thanks so much for posting the alley at 1700 block of S Street, NW, Washington, D.C. I use to play in that very place when I was 6 years old. Thank you!

Regulus said...

Thank you for stopping by and commenting -- and glad I was able to feature an picture of a place from your past.