Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sunshine in an Angry and/or Empty D.C. Place

**Second update 2:05AM 6/19/2014: See below.**

UPDATED 6:04PM 5/13/2011: See below.

The Sun-flooded Enid Haupt Garden at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1:57PM, May 11, 2011.

This is my new lead image for this entry that I think is more appropriate to the title / theme.

#######

Updated 6:04PM May 13, 2011: I already updated this entry to include the new lead image -- but Blogger (read: Google) had a really bad "roll out" of its new Web page design and the whole site was down for nearly 24 hours AND my update (along with entries others posted after Wednesday morning) vanished. This is my (re)update. In the first update, I mentioned some computer problems I was having that turned out to be very minor.

#######

The houses -- one of which is quite overgrown -- at the corner of Ingomar St. and 42nd St., NW, Washington, D.C., 6:11PM, May 8, 2011.

I was taking a walk with my friend K. and Hippo after a late lunch / early dinner with them at the Cheesecake Factor at Friendship Heights (where I had also gone for the same herb-crusted salmon dinner on Saturday that I got on Sunday).

Hippo at Fort Reno Park, Washington, D.C., 6:23PM, May 8, 2011. HI HIPPO!

Fort Reno is the geographical high spot in D.C. at 410' elevation, which while nearly nothing is still higher than ANYTHING in the State of Florida.

#######

Hippo -- pictured here with me -- is master of the Hippograms blog, although he, K., and and other members of the pod have been tending to a sick family member and haven't updated it much these days.

There is a sweeping view from Fort Reno to the west from the top, looking deep into Virginia that includes Tysons Corner and -- about 20 miles due west -- the area around Dulles Airport. The latter is visible as the general area in the far distance from which tiny aircraft "slivers" are periodically visible taking off or landing into the foreground tree line.

In addition, another 50+ miles beyond that on the clearest of days is visible the undulations of the Blue Ridge.

#######

The sign to the former Anna Maria restaurant along Connecticut Avenue, NW, near Dupont Circle, as seen early morning May 9, 2011. Photo taken by ChrisT.

I wondered over the years who this was an image of -- maybe a relative of the owner?

In a way, this sign was almost as D.C. famous as the old Yenching Palace neon sign.

I never actually ate at Anna Maria's My ex-friend from years ago, Dan, side the place looked mafia shady -- and I would always think of that every time I walked past it.

**Updated 2:05AM 6/19/2014: Content removed.**

#######

OK, that's all for now. I plan to update this blog tomorrow or Thursday, unless I get fired from my job, and then I'm not sure. You never know with these things.

Oh, yes, we are in a frickin' drought -- it refuses to do anything except be sunny and nice in this shitty D.C. climate.

Northeastern CONUS radar mosaic image, 0348UTC (11:48PM EDT) May 11 (10), 2011. The radar is overloaded with ground clutter around the radar sites, so it looks a lot more impressive than it is.

#######

There are some showers and t-storms clockwise along the "ring of fire" periphery of an upper level ridge parked over the Gulf Coast states passing through parts of the Appalachians but not shit for here. Of course, the Sterling LWX crew and Sue Palka-cabra are thrilled. I really hate the fact that we are on the cusp of 6 months of this crap weather.

Flooding on the Mississippi River as it passes through Memphis with the city's Pyramid Arena visible, May 9, 2011.

The flooding rains there have ended. My understanding is that the Mississippi narrowly a missed hitting a record flood stage at Memphis.

The NAM 250mb heights and wind field valid at 0UTC (8PM EDT) May 11 (May 10), 2011.

#######

Part of this is being driven by a large, nearly stalled low pressure in the western Atlantic Ocean.

The GOES East visible image at 1815UTC (2:15PM EDT) May 9, 2011. Note the big swirl of clouds off New England.

#######
"Sunshine in an empty place" (to borrow a phrase from Corona's Rhythm of the Night song) ...
Yours Truly in his apartment at Sun-flooded early evening, Washington, D.C., 6:57PM, May 9, 2011.

#######


YouTube version of Corona's classic 1990s Eurodance hit song "The Rhythm of the Night."

#######

OK, that really is all for now. My next update will be later this week.

--Regulus

No comments: