Monday, May 16, 2011

A 7 to 10 Year Angry Flood -OR- Seeking a Moral North Star

**Updated 12:45AM 6/25/2014: Sufficient content has been removed to render the blog title problematic, but it is better this way.**

The upstairs balcony of Nellie's as seen on a rainy night, Washington, D.C., 12:10AM, May 15, 2011.

#######

Monday night and I'm home watching the Monday night marathon of The Golden Girls on We TV, although Frasier is on Hallmark Channel right now, and I love that show. The current GG episode is one of the funnier ones, "Nothing to Fear but Fear Itself" where the girls have to face their phobias. The whole airline scene is hysterical.

A downpour as seen from Larry's Lounge on Saturday night, Washington, D.C., 9:39PM, May 14, 2011.

#######

So the weather is annoying ... YES, we are ostensibly in a "wet period" with daily showers and thunderstorms thanks to a sprawling, slow-moving upper level low centered over South Carolina and pinwheeling a vast cyclonic flow across the Eastern United States.

The view from my apartment, Washington, D.C., 7:31PM, May 16, 2011. There was a thunderstorm about 15 miles to the southwest but it was actually moving to the northwest away from my spot.

#######

Indeed, the "weather" tonight -- including showers and t-storms -- are actually moving northwestward. There are also lots of showers and t-storms off the NC OBX and it almost looks a bit like a tropical storm circulation. There is a tropical air mass but thankfully not oppressive. Dew points around 63F and air temps around 68F at the 9PM hour here in the city.

The radar mosaic for part of the Eastern U.S., 0208UTC (10:08PM EDT), May 17, 2011.

#######

I'm irritated because the rain keeps missing the frickin' rain bucket at National Airport. There was a torrential downpour on Friday night that dropped 0.43" at DCA (as well as 0.38" at both BWI and at IAD).

The NWS forecast grid-point panel for Washington, D.C., valid May 15 - 22, 2011. I am posting this (though a bit old now) because of all the rainy icons.

This is the same NWS forecast as above except for May 16 - 23, 2011.

#######

And there was a Biblical deluge WITH some hail that fell on parts of upper Northwest D.C. yesterday -- and that W. and I were caught in on our walk through Spring Valley (the wealthiest section of the District, located to the northwest of American University). But DCA totally missed that one -- as did even the Dupont Circle area. A person along Rodman Street even offered to let us into their home but we kept walking.

This is the only picture I took yesterday ...

Clouds in the sky as seen above the intersection of New Hampshire Avenue and R Street, NW, Washington, D.C., 4:07PM, May 15, 2011. I was walking to the Metro to go to Friendship Heights to meet Wendy for our walk.

#######

Alas, I don't have any pictures because I had to hide my cellphone and W's iPhone in a plastic bag and wrap it in my jacket and stuff the whole thing in my book bag. Otherwise, the downpour would've destroyed my cell phone. That was the best 5 cents I've spent in a while (I got the bag at Booeymongers in Friendship Heights).

We ended up beyond drenched from head to toe -- and I was not a little chafe-y by the end of the walk back to Dupont Circle. Given that W. was basically wearing just a t-shirt over her bra), she ended up in a kind of de facto wet t-shirt display (which she readily admitted).

While it was totally lost on me as a gay man, it attracted some notice as we trekked through Georgetown.

W. is heading to Africa for two months to intern at a refuge center in Nairobi.

#######

Speaking of floods ...

Flooded farmland in Des Arc, Arkansas, not far from the Mississippi River, May 5, 2011.

#######

**Updated 12:45AM 6/25/2014: Content altered and removed.**

The first of 125 bays along the Morganza Spillway is opened for the first time in 38 years near Morganza, La., May 14, 2011.

**Updated 12:41AM 6/25/2014: Content removed.**

#######

The North Star ...

Up close image of Polaris -- at present located 0.7 degrees (slightly more than the full lunar disk) off the actual North Celestial Pole.

#######

May 5th Memories ...

OK, there were two other items I meant to mention involving the date of May 5th and two people from my home state of New Jersey who have died.

My dad's long-time friend from back in the 1970s and 1980s at N.J. Department of Transportation has died. I knew him when I was a young child and he was always very nice to me -- and so full of life.

His name was Joe McDonnell and he was 86. He lived in Rumson, New Jersey. He was a father of 6 children and a widower for nearly 45 years. Joe even lived in D.C. back in the 1950s for a time. Here is his obituary. Joe died on May 5, 2011.

Here is a REALLY blurry image of Joe that I took with my cellphone camera in his Rumson, N.J., house, Sept. 6, 2008.

I wrote about a visit to his house in Sept. 2008 when I went to New Jersey for his 50th high school reunion. The images are quite lousy -- that cellphone camera I had at the time was truly awful.

#######

But May 5th was also the two year anniversary of the unexpected death of my blogger buddy Bryan Haberstick from Trenton, New Jersey.

Image of my blogger buddy Bryan riding the commuter train between Trenton and Camden as he enjoyed doing, July 22, 2008.

I very much regret that I never met him when I had the chance. I wrote about his death here but my Australian blogger friend Fifi had by far the best tribute to him. (It's the second part where she talks about him.)

Here is a picture Bryan took in Atlantic City, New Jersey on Nov. 5, 2007 of the ocean and the pier there on a bright fall day.

#######

OK, that's all for now. My next planned update will be probably Wednesday.

--Regulus

3 comments:

к.нео.физ.де.му said...

well, there is a pretty intense line of ts that's moving from the south. if it misses dca - it's never gonna rain there ever again... :)

i am glad your health is ok!

ps. totchan

Regulus said...

That intense line wussed out / missed us to the *southwest* because of the way the precipitation is moving. In the end, we aren't going to get anything, at least at DCA, and the fraud of this rainy 7 day period will be complete.

Sorry -- I'm not in a good mood right now. I'm home alone and unhappy. I have almost no friends anymore. Oh, well.

Maybe my physical health is fine but my mental health is still crappy.

Regulus said...

I loosened up the comment section here so that it is Open ID now.