Saturday, July 8, 2017

Saturday Evening Post for July 8th, 2017: The Welcome to High Summer Edition -OR- So What If Everything Is Bigger in Texas??

**This entry was posted July 8, 2017.**

Pleasant high summer day of sky and trees as seen from 2100 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 3:19PM July 8, 2017.

*******

Saturday night already very nearly 11PM as I start this entry. 

I've finished several loads of laundry including some bedding and I've composed my Jukebox Saturday Night edition for this week(end). 

As an update, I'm off to Texas, specifically, Dallas tomorrow evening for a day-and-a-half DOE workshop. It is being held by one of the three technology offices I most often support. The workshop is on Monday and Tuesday morning. I'm scheduled to fly back on Tuesday night.


As I mentioned already, I was able to get direct, non-stop flights both ways -- National (DCA) to DFW and Dallas-Love Field (DAL) to DCA. I also have my seat assignment for the DCA to DFW flight -- and I was able to get a window on the right side that faces D.C. if we do the upriver takeoff.

For the return flight, I don't have a seat assignment yet.

Summer sky as seen from 15th and W Streets NW looking toward Meridian Hill Park, Washington, D.C., 3:20PM June 8, 2017.

*******

Today was a textbook Saturday for me: Got up initially around 8AM, straightened up the apartment and did the dishes (as well created my daily expenditure spreadsheet), went back to bed around 930AM until about 2PM, went to the gym where I had a decent jog (6 miles) and weightlifting (an hour) and ended with a swim, returned home and (as noted above) did my laundry while composing my two entries.

Today was a sunny, seasonably hottish day -- KDCA high of 90F -- but with lower humidity as the dew point dropped to about 58F by early evening following a mostly dry cold frontal passage. As we had a decent amount of rainfall earlier in the week, this wasn't a problem.

The radar -- see below -- showed distinctive gust front (possibly initially associated with a thunderstorm outflow boundary but seemingly more related to the front itself) passing across the region:

Sterling (LWX) standard base reflectivity radar looped 7:09PM - 7:44PM July 8, 2017.

Note the gust front (as a blue/dark blue arc) sweeping across the D.C. area from the northwest to southeast.

*******

For their part, the other three climate stations highs were: 87F at KBWI and KIAD and 90F at KDMH. (Of note, I use the "K" when referring to the climate station, so the National Airport one is "KDCA," while I do not use it when using the airport's "DCA" abbreviation.)

Tonight should be pleasant with a light northwesterly breeze and lows of about 69F here in the city.

View from my apartment right about as the gust front -- with some cumulus congestus clouds -- was crossing the District of Columbia, 7:46PM July 8, 2017.

*******

Yesterday evening, I met Andrea at the bar at Bobby Van's (the one on 15th Street) and we had a really pleasant time. Thereafter, I went to Trade and No. 9 before coming home -- although I also briefly stopped at the Green Lantern, where I met someone I hadn't seen in at least 8 years.

He was not doing that well, but I don't really want to go into that now.

Oh, yes, when I got home, I found this YouTube channel called Alternate History Hub that includes at least 100 (I didn't go all the way back to the beginning) videos of "What If?" alternate realities including the following two "biggies" that I watched last night:



*******



Others are a bit more exotic / purely speculative -- rather than based upon actual detailed dystopian / alternative history novels -- such as "What If America Had a King?" and "What If the British Empire Never Existed?" and even "What If the Ice Age Had Never Ended?" and "What If Neanderthals Had Never Gone Extinct?"

A guy named Cody narrates them -- and of those I watched -- specifically, George Orwell's world of 1984 and Philip K. Dick's alternative history world of The Man in the High Castle -- they were well done in terms of explanatory and contextual content.

As I mentioned shortly after the historical tragi-farce of Trump's election as president, I feel as though I entered some wrong reality on November 8th, 2016.

But I'm not going to get into a political discussion in this entry. Instead, that's about all for now.


For tonight, I don't know whether I should go to Old Ebbitt Grill or just limit it to a No. 9 / Trade visit. I really want to get to bed by 330AM or so and be up no later than noon. My flight is at 625PM, so it would be good if I could be at National by 430PM.

Having said that, I'm going to try to post an entry tomorrow early afternoon before I head to the airport but in the event I don't have time to do so, my next posting will almost certainly not be until Wednesday. This is because it is highly unlikely I will post anything from Dallas.

OK, that's all for now. Jukebox Saturday Night Entry to follow momentarily ...

--Regulus

No comments: