Saturday, July 1, 2017

Saturday Evening Post for July 1st, 2017: High Summer Kicks Into Low, Sweaty Gear

**This entry was posted July 1st, 2017.**

Hampton Courts, Washington, D.C., 1:42PM June 25, 2017.

This is my apartment building as seen at street-level from the other side of New Hampshire Avenue through the leafy boughs of an elm tree. I've lived in this building since March 2005 -- and in my current apartment since early summer 2009. The branch is covering my window -- although my kitchen window is visible.

The around-D.C. but otherwise non-topical images in this entry are a hodgepodge of ones I took today and last Sunday.

*******

Saturday night.

I just finished my usual Saturday night four loads of laundry to include whites, coloreds colors, and some bedding such as quilts, sheets, and pillow cases done a rotating schedule with one quilt in particular (the one that forms the main "mattress") washed weekly.

Sunlight through leafy trees, 2000 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 4:35PM July 1, 2017.

*******

Also, I made it to the gym this afternoon, although I actually didn't get there until 445PM and I had to cut short both my jog (which has been iffy lately anyway) and weightlifting. Nevertheless, I still got in a 4.5-mile jog (rather than 6.34 miles) and about 40 minutes of weightlifting (rather than 60+ minutes). I also made it into the swimming pool before it closed for the night.

The summer sky above the Heurich House -- a.k.a., the Brewmaster's Castle -- at 20th St and New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 2:11PM June 25, 2017.

*******

It is a warm and extremely humid night with the 9PM conditions at KDCA showing 83F air temperature and 77F dew point -- giving a heat index of 92F. It reached 93F earlier today at KDCA (after a high of 94F yesterday) but a welcome line of drenching but otherwise non-violent thunderstorms plowed across the Metro D.C. and Baltimore areas between about 3 and 5PM.

Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in standard composite mode looped 2:58PM - 3:33PM EDT July 1, 2017.

*******

Rainfall totals were as follows in descending order at the four main regional climate (weather) stations:

KDMH: 0.96"
KDCA: 0.65"
KBWI: 0.35"
KIAD: 0.21"

Here is a CWG entry featuring pictures from around the area of the afternoon thunderstorms.

To clarify, the dew points at the other three spots are not quite as high as KDCA -- in the 72F to 74F range. High temperatures at the other three locations included 92F at KBWI, 91F at KIAD, and 94F at KDMH.

We're nearing what is climatologically the hottest part of the summer with the highest high temps at KDCA of 89F during from July 7th - 22nd; 88F at KBWI between July 9th - 17th; and 88F at KIAD for an exceptionally long period running from July 2nd to August 5th. KDMH doesn't have a 30-year data set yet.

Data taken from here -- specifically, the "Daily Normals, Means, and Extremes" links for the three.

In the case of KDCA, I suspect that when the new 30-year averages for the period 1991 - 2020 come out (in 2021), that 89F will notch up to reach 90F.

View looking east after a thunderstorm, 1500 block V Street NW, Washington, D.C., 4:35PM July 1, 2017.

The thunderstorm that has swept across the District was receding to the east.

*******

Tomorrow looks to be just sunny and seasonably hot with not much of a chance for thunderstorms. There is a better chance later in the upcoming week.

A nasty note on a parked car on N Street near 14th Street NW, Washington, D.C., in the wee hours of June 25, 2017.

*******

Rather than bring up any other topics -- including political ones and the endless conflagrations at the Trump White House, a.k.a., Camp Runamuck (nod to Charlie Pierce), I think I'll just end the entry.

Let me just post this Bill Maher quote from his most recent Real Time episode:

"Mr. President, a good rule to live by: If you're going to go after a woman’s appearance, first make sure you're not a fat old man with orange face paint pretending to be a blond at the age of 71."

Overhead view at the corner of 15th and W Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 4:37PM July 1, 2017.

This was the edge of the anvil head of the east-bound receding thunderstorm.

*******

My next planned entry is a bit uncertain since next week is the 4th of July holiday (on Tuesday) and I'm planning on meeting my coworker friend Melissa on Monday night and instead going to the gym on Tuesday afternoon. I'll try to update the blog on Monday afternoon but if I don't, it might not be until Tuesday evening or Wednesday nights.

Yours truly having a glass of wine and cup of coffee at Compono, Watergate complex, Washington, D.C., 4:30PM June 25, 2017.

Compono occupies what was the old 600 Watergate restaurant and then -- for a brief period of time -- Ancora. I hope it makes it. 

*******

For tonight, I think I'm meeting Brian and Greg, although where is to be decided. They are down from New York City for the weekend. Maybe we'll go to Old Ebbitt Grill, or instead just to Trade. Of course, it is nearly 11PM and I haven't heard from Brian, so maybe it won't happen. 

Low-tide mud flats of the tidal Potomac near the Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C., 4:54PM June 25, 2017.

*******

For tomorrow, I have no set plans. I was going to go up to Maryland on the MARC train to meet my mom for lunch but we never formalized that plan, so I may instead just get lunch up in Bethesda.

Cirrus clouds what had been the anvil head top of a thunderstorm, as seen at 18th St and New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., at dusk, 8:29PM June 30, 2017.

There was a thunderstorm near Manassas about an hour earlier that had dissipated -- and these were the "debris" clouds.

*******

OK, that really is all for now.

Jukebox Saturday Night entry to follow momentarily because it is already composed ...

--Regulus

No comments: