Saturday, June 17, 2017

Saturday Evening Post for June 17th, 2017: The Nearly Suddenly Summer Edition -OR- Humiture Maritime Tropical Tales

**This entry was posted June 17th, 2017.**

A cumulus congestus cloud seen from 14th and W Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 6:55PM June 17, 2017.

The airmass today and tonight is a maritime tropical (mT) one with a southerly / southeasterly flow across the region and dew points in the low to mid 70s Fahrenheit range all day -- without the usual midday drop as convective mixing takes hold. Highs were just under 90⁰F area-wide including 89⁰F at KDCA, 88⁰F at KBWI, 86⁰F at KIAD, and 87⁰F at KDMH.

Despite the cloud formations, there were few showers and thunderstorms today -- they once again failed to materialize -- although KBWI had a rain shower around 5PM that dropped 0.04". However, last night, there was a thunderstorm here in the immediate D.C. area and even KDCA picked up 0.36" of needed rainfall.

*******

Another Saturday night.

It's 9:27PM as I write this -- and there is still a touch of deep blue dusk remaining low in the western sky as I can see from my 5th floor apartment.

The summer solstice is just several days away and thus we are at just about the longest days of the year in terms of daylight hours, although the latest sunsets actually occur a week to two weeks after the first day of summer (while the earliest sunrises have already occurred). (The absolute latest that I have ever seen any remaining daylight at this latitude at the latest sunsets is about 9:55PM -- it never quite touches 10PM -- EDT.)

Intersection of 14th and K Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 9:01PM June 14, 2017.

*******

I'm home having just done several loads of laundry and now cooking a bit of dinner -- well, mixing Campbell's beef with country vegetable soup in some leftover jasmine rice and broccoli and heating the whole thing in a pot. I do plan to go to dinner later tonight -- either at Old Ebbitt Grill Old Bar or Logan Tavern.

The row houses in the 1900 block of 16th Street NW at dusk, Washington, D.C., 8:51PM June 16, 2017.

As I've mentioned before on this blog, in all my years -- decades -- here in D.C., I've never actually been in any of these stately row houses that line 16th Street between P and U Streets. Very (super) rich people own them and they seem to get rented out to high-end yuppies, trust fund babies, and attractive millennials.

Well, actually, I was in one once -- the one at 1601 16th Street -- way back in 1994 or '95 in a hookup. I was living in College Park at the time.

*******

The row houses in the 1800 block of 16th Street NW at dusk, Washington, D.C., 8:51PM June 16, 2017.

I was walking to D-I-K bar to meet Fred.

*******

Yesterday after work, I went to Columbia Heights on the Metro and to Target and Payless Shoes. I bought a foam mattress topper -- which I use as a sort of pad atop which go my quilts and other blankets and pillows (and stuffed animals) for my bed on the floor. Lacking even a mattress, it has often been dubbed by others (after I describe it to them) as a nest rather than a bed. I got the razors that I much prefer (they're relatively cheap at Target).

I also bought a new pair of sneakers at Payless. This follows a shopping expedition to the Metro Center Macy's on Thursday after work where I bought a new pair of Rockport shoes that I quite like and two shirts and a new belt. Of note, I budgeted $200 for all of these "clothing and other bulk purchases" this pay period -- and ended up spending $200.05 in all, or one nickel over.

Blurry image of a wet night on 17th Street near Q Street NW, Washington, D.C., 10:49PM June 16, 2017.

As you can (sort of) see, it was raining at this point. As noted, there was as thunderstorm last night that dropped some needed and welcome rainfall in parts of the District. As for me, I was walking from Annie's -- where Fred and I went after D-I-K bar -- to No. 9.

*******

Oh, yes, I also bought a box fan just in case the one I have dies on me. That sometimes happens -- the motor will basically burn out and I wake up to silence and stillness (other than my window a/c that I also keep on).

Blurry image of a wet night in the 1600 block of Q Street NW, Washington, D.C., 10:51PM June 16, 2017.

*******

Walking back home -- on Irving Street to 16th Street and then along 16th Street down the "hill" past Meridian Hill Park -- was a real pain in the ass. It was thickly warm and humid as hell, and I was sweating profusely. I hate that. It was also very gloomy. In the end, we actually had a thunderstorm last night that dropped some needed rainfall.

Summery afternoon view, 2100 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 3:29PM June 17, 2017.

I was walking to the gym. Note the rainbow -- that's in the yard of Augustana Lutheran Church, where every day of the year is LGBTQ pride day.

*******

Later, I met Fred at Dupont Italian Kitchen (D-I-K) upstairs bar and then we went to Annie's upstairs. (Everything was fine.) Later, I went to No. 9. The problem, though, is that I really didn't eat a proper dinner, and I had a horrible headache this morning, or rather, early afternoon when I got up.

Nevertheless, I made it to the gym by about 335PM.

Cumulus clouds as seen in the 1300 block of W Street NW, Washington, D.C. 3:34PM June 17, 2017.

This is right by the YMCA Anthony Bowen where I go.

*******

While there, I just couldn't do the hour-long jog. I barely got in a half hour -- and even then, there was some walking involved. So I only got up to 2.53 miles instead of my planned 6-miles plus 0.34-mile/5-minute cool down. (I was able to do that on Thursday when I went there.) However, I had a rather good weightlifting routine that lasted about 75 minutes and then a bit of a core workout before a decent swim.

So all in all, it was a good workout. As for the jogging, it has become problematic. I don't intend to cut it out entirely but I just can't do 6 miles on the treadmill every time I go to the gym.

The Sun shines through a gap in a cumulus congestus cloud as seen from the 1400 block of W Street NW, Washington, D.C., 7:03PM June 17, 2017.

*******

OK, that's all for now. I was going to post some political commentary -- anything anti-Trump / anti-GOP -- but I'm not going to go down that road right now. Instead, I need to put away my laundry / make my bed (since I washed some of the quilts) and head out to my usual two places (No. 9 and Trade) before going to OEG.

Another view of the Sun shining through a gap in a cumulus congestus cloud as seen from the 1400 block of W Street NW, Washington, D.C., 7:03PM June 17, 2017.

*******

Tomorrow -- Sunday -- is my oft-described free day. My plan is to get up earlier than I usually do -- i.e., around 11AM rather than 2PM -- and take a walk. I think I'll go to Silver Spring and walk to Bethesda via the Georgetown Branch Trail and then stop in Bethesda for lunch.

My next planned entry will be late Monday or early Tuesday. Of note, I am in the process of posting my last batch of pictures -- 33 or 34 in all -- from my Chicago trip earlier this month, specifically, the ones I took on my last full day there (June 2nd).

OK, that really is all for now. Jukebox Saturday Night entry to follow momentarily (as I have already composed it) ...

--Regulus

No comments: