Saturday, June 10, 2017

Jukebox Saturday Night for June 10th, 2017: The Born Alive and Survive in a Bowlful of Capital Pride Edition

Since it is Capital Pride weekend here and D.C. -- and although I have participated in precisely zero ways -- I think it only right dedicate this edition of Jukebox Saturday Night to this annual gay pride event that is now in its 42nd year ...

First up, a song that isn't traditionally associated with the LGBTQ community, but for me personally, it has resonance ...


"Born to Be Alive" by Patrick Hernandez from album of same name (1978)*

*To be clear, I could not definitely find the name the album. The Wikipedia article gives the album name but no link.

Mr. Hernandez was truly a one-hit-wonder but it certainly is an interesting hit. (He reminds me a bit of my friend Chris in Atlanta -- specifically, the (lack of) facial expressions.)

*******

Next up, every gay man's anthem ...


"I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor from her album Love Tracks (1978)

The video is hopelessly locked into its late 1970s roller disco era, but the upbeat lyrics and their tale of survival after one-sided and failed love are timeless.

*******

And we'll end in the only way I know how ...


"Born This Way" by Lady Gaga from her album of same name (2011)

This includes that bizarre allegorical opening -- in which Lady Gaga appears to give birth to "the new race within the race of humanity" and in which the term "multiverse" gets used -- with all those kaleidoscopic imagery that border on the grotesque.

Screenshot of Lady Gaga and a fellow zombie in the video to "Born This Way."

This guy is French Canadian model Rick Genest, a.k.a., Rico and also Zombie Boy for his the corpse imagery tattoos that cover nearly his entire body. That is, he looks this way in real life. (Yikes.)

And on that note, I shall conclude this week's edition of Jukebox Saturday Night. Please see my previous entry for a general update.

--Regulus

No comments: