Saturday, May 13, 2017

Saturday Evening Post for May 13th, 2017: The Mother's Day-in-Maryland Weekend Afternoon Edition (With D.C. Rainy Thursday Evening Pics)

Walkway, Mary Livingston Ripley Garden, Smithsonian Gardens on a rainy evening, Washington, D.C., 7:25PM May 11, 2017.

The pictures in this entry are ones I took on Thursday when -- owing to my kind of weather -- I walked home rather than going (as I probably should have instead) to the gym (keep in mind I hadn't gone for two nights previously and won't until tomorrow).

I stopped for (an expensive) dinner at the District Chophouse and then briefly at Trade. More on that below in the photo captions below.

*******

OK, I started this entry last night. It's now Saturday late morning. I've updated the entry at the bottom.

Rainy U Street (around the 1100 block), Washington, D.C., 12:40PM May 11, 2017.

The 13th Street entrance to the Metro is closed for the next 6 million years months while the escalators are replaced. The Metrorail system has basically reached Third World conditions.

*******

Friday night and I'm not in D.C. but in Glen Burnie at my mom's little apartment. It's a rainy, cool, suburban forlorn night although rainfall amounts have been light today. Temperatures are again below normal -- around 50F or so. I took the MARC train from Union Station after work. We had a difficult time trying to find a restaurant that wasn't Friday evening packed but finally went to an unlikely and unlikely pleasant place called Lee's Szechuan in Millersville.

U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Headquarters at Washington, D.C., 7:22PM May 11, 2017.

*******

In general, I'm not big into suburban strip mall Chinese restaurants, but it had a pleasant enough feel and the menu a healthy food section.

Now I'm back here posting this blog entry and watching reruns of old sitcoms -- including two with Patricia Heaton (Everybody Loves Raymond and The Middle). The Golden Girls is on at 11PM.

Another (blurry) picture of the walkway through the Mary Livingston Ripley Garden of the Smithsonian Gardens on a rainy evening, Washington, D.C., 7:25PM May 11, 2017.

*******

I have to say that I feel Ray's absence much more heavily on this particular visit. And I never realized how much I liked that dinky little trailer in Millersville where they lived for 14+ years and that I visited a few times a year in recent years. It was a cozy little place.

Allium pinball wizard flowers, Mary Livingston Ripley Garden of the Smithsonian Gardens, Washington, D.C., 7:26PM May 11, 2017.

*******

This is probably the last cool and wet spell before the arrival (well, return) of summery weather. For the record, the following rainfall fell on Friday:

KDCA: 0.31"
KBWI: 0.20"
KIAD: 0.38"
KDMH: 0.07"

Rainfall amounts on Thursday were follows:

KDCA: 1.04"
KBWI: 0.56"
KIAD: 1.73"
KDMH: 0.28"

All this rain is very good as it has just about alleviated the drought conditions.

Lovely little fountain in the Mary Livingston Ripley Garden of the Smithsonian Gardens, Washington, D.C., 7:26PM May 11, 2017.

*******

This apartment -- in the same Colonial Square complex where we lived way back in the early '80s when I was 12 and 13 years old -- is fine as far as that goes, although you can hear muffled noises and rap/hip hop music from other apartments through the building HVAC system. The solution is to turn on the air conditioner.

The ginormous National Archives fa├žade / building, Washington, D.C., 7:34PM May 11, 2017.

*******

The apartment is spotless and, somewhat jarringly, there is nothing of Ray's around ... It's just quite empty for a 68-year old lady who was married to my stepfather for 42 years. I guess I was hoping for more Catholic statuary and iconography, not to mention photos and candles.

Man beneath a blue umbrella at the intersection of Pennsylvania Ave and 7th Street NW, Washington, D.C., 7:35PM May 11, 2017.

*******

I'll head back home on Sunday afternoon, and I really have to go to the gym. I was going to go last night (Thursday) after having skipped Tuesday and Wednesday, but the weather was such that I wanted to walk home in the drizzly, gray evening. I was also rather hungry and felt like having a steak.

Same man under blue umbrella along 7th Street between Pennsylvania Ave and D Street NW, Penn Quarter section of Washington, D.C., 7:37PM May 11, 2017.

*******

To that end, I stopped at District Chophouse, where I had a delicious steak (well-done, which is how I prefer it), baked potato, and spinach. Of course, I also had alcohol, which really jacked up the price. It also marked a coda to an obscenely overspent pay period. I need to reign in my expenditures.

Intersection of D and 7th Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 7:37PM May 11, 2017.

*******

For tomorrow, though, I'm taking my mom to a pre-Mother's Day Saturday afternoon dinner at the Rusty Scupper in Baltimore.

For tonight, I'm going to try to do some of a work assignment I need to have completed by Monday.
I'll try to post a jukebox Saturday Night tomorrow night but blogging will be light until next week.

Rainy evening, 400 block 7th Street NW, Penn Quarter, Washington, D.C., 7:38PM May 11, 2017

*******

Saturday Late Morning / Early Afternoon Addition ...

OK, as noted at the outset, it is now late morning Saturday. As usual, I was unable to finish an entry in a timely manner.

I'm kind of a mess right now with a bad headache -- as in, a weird behind-my-right-eye headache -- and really groggy. This follows ostensibly 8-1/2 hours of sleep in a very comfortable bed (my mom gave up her bed and slept on the couch in the living room). That bed is so comfortable that I couldn't turn down that offer.

The bar at the District Chophouse, Washington, D.C., 7:50PM May 11, 2017.

I never was actually in the District Chophouse restaurant prior to this. I liked the place, although it is (obviously) expensive. Also, the bathrooms are downstairs -- and accessible only by two old, small elevators. (There are stairs but apparently they are not "up to code" and are not open to the patrons.)

*******

Dinner at the bar, District Chophouse, Washington, D.C., 8:13PM May 11, 2017.

I had a nice steak dinner with baked potato and spinach. The spinach was extra. I had a beer and a glass of wine and then a concluding Grand Marnier.

It was the even of the annual big police gathering in D.C. (for fallen officers) and the place was overloaded with cops displaying their badges, if not their barely concealed guns.

*******

But my night was once again roiled with the wildest, most chaotic dreams of all sorts. And I have a bit of a "crick" in my neck on the right side. I'm drinking a cup of instant coffee, which seems to be helping, but I really need my Imitrex, which I did not bring. I'm on my work laptop, which I brought up here for the weekend.

Bar at the District Chophouse, Washington, D.C., 8:34PM May 11, 2017.

I debated whether or not to talk about the bartender/waiter I had. A very curious man whose numerically incredible figures I'm now unsure I believe: 8 siblings; three dozen plus nieces and nephews; owns 18 houses/condos in Maryland and D.C., the larger ones of which he rents out for $6,000/month; dated 300+ women before finding the one with whom to have a daughter (but expressly not to marry); and owns his own a construction company.

*******

It is still a gray, cool, drizzly day. It rained much of last night with 1/2" to 3/4" (with KDMH the jackpot). Temps are around 55F this morning. The bulk of the rain is over. However, I can't complain about lack of rainfall -- we've had a decent amount lately and the spring drought conditions are just about alleviated.

Intersection of 9th and F Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 9:40PM May 11, 2017.

*******

I better wrap up this entry as we are going to the Rusty Scupper in Baltimore for an afternoon dinner. It is a Mother's Day dinner, but we are going today since tomorrow will be so crowded and I need to get back to D.C.

Intersection of 9th and F Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 9:41PM May 11, 2017.

*******

OK, that's all for now. My plan is to post a Jukebox Saturday Night edition tonight.

--Regulus

No comments: