Friday, May 5, 2017

A Trip to the Doctor and Reluctant But Necessary Exploration In the Bight of Biafra; Heavy Rainfall Overview / Radar Images; & Remembering My Blogger Friend Bryan 8 Years On

Leafy boughs of a young oak tree, 1700 block New Hampshire Ave, Washington, D.C., 4:05PM May 5, 2017.

This is next to what is called the S Street dog park.

*******

Friday late afternoon -- almost evening (it will be by the time I post this).

I'm back from a doctor's appointment at the Medstar facility in Chevy Chase. The doctors continue their revolving door passage through that facility, and to that end, I had a new one. However, she was a very nice and helpful doctor.

The Swann House -- half hidden behind a tree -- in the 1700 block, New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 4:05PM May 5, 2017.

*******

Truthfully, initially I wanted a male doctor for this issue but she was fine for a good consultation and the referrals and prescription refills I need, namely, Zoloft and Imitrex, or rather, sertraline hydrochloride and sumatriptan succinate. (Oh, apparently, you're not supposed to take them at the same time -- or so said the Dupont Circle CVS pharmacist.)

A row of yew bush hedges along the property of the Windermere/Harrowgate, 1800 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 4:06PM May 5, 2017.

*******

However, the main reason I went there was to get a referral to a gastroenterologist for some delicate issues with which I have been dealing (suffering through) lately.

These issues have been in the nether regions of, geographically-metaphorically speaking, my tropical Southern Hemisphere belt, between the equator and Tropic of Capricorn, with a particular focus on that portion of the Atlantic side of the African continent known as the Bight of Biafra (or Bight of Bonny).

You can see it down there around Equatorial Guinea:


Alas, I have to get a colonoscopy at some point this month. Oh, and she also prescribed a sitz bath (with a saline solution to be determined).

The written description that I received states the following:

* You may need to drink a large amount of a special liquid (oral bowel prep). You start drinking this the day before your procedure. It will cause you to have watery poop (stool). This cleans out your colon.

Marvelous. Just what I was hoping to have.

Oh, it also says I should make plans for someone to drive me home after the procedure (during which time one tends to break wind with gusto).

For me, this means arranging a taxicab since I don't really have any friends, or rather, any who could drive me from that procedure back home during the workday (assuming that's when it is).

This is yet another reason it is such a shame that BIG Y'EYEMAH is no longer my betrothed. She woulda liked that set up ... And, yes, I know, I've been so remiss on posting new episodes of BIG Y'EYEMAH's Friday Night Creature Feature, including the planned one "corn-cheese, commercial space flight, and all."

As for work, I basically took the day off. However, I have a task editing a series off presentations at a recent IA-HEV Task 26 workshop that should allow me to make up the bulk of the hours this pay period.

Turning to the weather, it's a variably cloudy, warm, and muggy afternoon with temps around 74F and dew points about 65F.

Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in standard base mode reflectivity looped 4:22AM - 5:05AM EDT May 5, 2017.

*******

There was a real deluge in the pre-dawn / dawn hours. A welcome bout of heavy rainfall dropped over 1 inch area-wide -- and actually more like 1-1/2 inches. Including the initial burst last night around 9PM and the pre-dawn / dawn deluge, the following amounts fell in the past 24 hours:

KDCA: 1.61 inches

KBWI: 1.54 inches

KIAD: 1.30 inches

KDMH: 1.50 inches

Below are some radar images that I captured including those while I was up between about 4AM and 6AM (before going back to sleep for several hours).

NECONUS composite images (looped):

NECONUS composite radar mosaic looped 0628 - 0738UTC May 5, 2017.

*******

NECONUS composite radar mosaic looped 0728 - 0838UTC May 5, 2017.

*******

NECONUS composite radar mosaic looped 1318 - 1428UTC May 5, 2017.

*******

Sterling (LWX) standard mode images -- base reflectivity and composite mode (looped):

Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in standard base mode reflectivity looped 3:33AM - 4:16AM EDT May 5, 2017.

*******

Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in standard composite mode looped 4:22AM - 5:05AM EDT May 5, 2017.

*******

Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in standard base mode reflectivity looped 5:17AM - 5:50AM EDT May 5, 2017.

*******

It is supposed to get much cooler over the weekend and into early next week with highs only 61F to 68F even here in D.C. between Saturday and next Thursday (six days hence) as a deep trough with anomalously low geopotential heights for May sets up and doesn't move.

The CWG had this entry yesterday by Greg Porter about how it is a wave number 6 (Rossby wave) pattern that historically leads to weather extremes in the middle latitudes: (link embedded).

That entry included the following two images:

GEFS 6Z May 4, 2017 ensemble of Northern Hemisphere 500-mb geopotential height anomalies valid 0Z May 8, 2017 with six Rossby wave troughs noted.

*******

GEFS 12Z May 4, 2017 ensemble Northern Hemisphere 500-mb geopotential height anomalies animated every 6 or 12 hours through hour 240 / 12Z May 14, 2017.

*******

OK, I guess that's all for now. I'm meeting Fred over at Annie's and then I'll probably go to No. 9 and/or Trade tonight. The usual stuff.

1900 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 6:41PM May 3, 2017.

*******

For tomorrow, I am going to try to go to the gym and have a regular multi-part Saturday afternoon / early evening workout including the jog. Owing to my health worries -- as well as just being mentally exhausted with the jogging part -- I skipped Wednesday.

Blurry image near Thomas Circle, Washington, D.C., 9:30PM May 4, 2017.

Last night, Andrea and I went to Lincoln on Vermont Avenue and then I walked to Trade. The weather was perfect last night with the approaching rainstorm.

*******

I intend to post an entry tomorrow night, although it will probably just be a Saturday Evening Post edition. I really don't have any songs lined up this week for a Jukebox Saturday Night edition.

Intersection of Rhode Island Ave and 14th St NW, Washington, D.C., 9:36PM May 4, 2017. 

*******

Remembering My Blogger Buddy Bryan a Full 8 Years On ...

Oh, yes, I must to note with sadness that today -- May 5th, 2017 -- is the 8-year anniversary of the death of my blogger buddy Paul Bryan Haberstick of Trenton, N.J. His blog is still in existence, frozen in time after that final entry by his sister.

Bryan riding a commuter train between Camden and Trenton, N.J., July 22, 2008.

*******

My one-time Australian blogger friend "Fifi LaStupenda" wrote what I consider the best eulogy for him here (it's the second part).

--Regulus

No comments: