Sunday, April 16, 2017

Sunday Night Update: Easter and Temperatures Are Risen, Rainfall Still Has Not ...

Odenton MARC train station platform, Odenton, Md., 1:49PM (Easter) Sunday, April 16, 2017.

*******

I home from this gym this Sunday night. I came back into D.C. earlier this afternoon after a weekend at my mom's place in Glen Burnie. I had a good, multi-part workout (treadmill, weightlifting, and swimming pool).

So I have to go to fly to frickin' Raleigh-Durham tomorrow to attend a day-and-a-half workshop (on Tuesday and Wednesday morning) and return on Wednesday mid-afternoon. I looked at the workshop venue and adjacent dumpty hotel -- they are in a suburban office park no man's land technically in Durham.

Sigh.

Overhead wires / power lines, Odenton MARC train station, Odenton, Md., 1:51PM April 16, 2017.

*******

It was another goddamn way, way, way above normal temperature day in the eastern United States. It reached 89F at KDCA, 87F at KBWI, and 86F at KIAD. None of those were daily record highs but the month is averaging far above normal (+6.7F through yesterday) and it's too goddamn dry -- although we had a quick and noisy thunderstorm last night in Glen Burnie with nearby KBWI recording an impressive 0.36" in just a few minutes (see animated radar image below), but zilch fell here in D.C.

Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in standard base mode reflectivity looped 10:04PM - 10:29PM EDT April 15, 2017.

*******

There are chances of rain the next several days -- but it's all paltry and underwhelming and the drought continues.

I hate the weather pattern of the past 10 months. It sucks. Oh, and the Atlantic Ocean is basically worthless when it comes to providing any "weather" in this area.

A house with a large yard and a flowering (dogwood?) tree, Odenton, Md., 12:31PM April 16, 2017.

I think we (my mom and I) were driving along Annapolis Road.

*******

Oh, and on another note, I hear that Planet Earth -- as in "Gaia" -- is planning in the next 50 years or so on "removing over half the human infestation" from the land surface of the planet? I heard a rumor to that effect. Probably through a pandemic -- unless Trump and Kim Jong-un do it first.

Intersection of Telegraph and Annapolis Roads, Odenton, Md., 12:34PM April 16, 2017.

*******

Oh, and it was Easter, too. Big frickin' deal.

It's a dumb-ass holiday with its convoluted "falls on" day rule (the first Sunday after the first full Moon after the spring equinox) -- and preceded by a lot of dumb-assery. As for me, I've completely lost any religion. Oh, well. There are enough fundie whack jobs in the world to keep human civilization churning for a long time.

Statue of Jesus Christ outside a church somewhere in Georgetown, Washington, D.C., 7:16PM April 9, 2017.

(I forgot what street this is on -- but it's an east-west one near Wisconsin Avenue.)

*******

OK, I need to get some dinner, so I am signing off for the time being. I would like to do my laundry tonight and also post another entry, but, honestly, it has been a royal pain in the ass lately trying to update this now-9-year old blog. However, given my hotel accommodations / amenities (or lack thereof) and what surrounds the place, I may have time (whether I want to or not) to post an entry tomorrow night -- provided I take my laptop and the hotel has Wi-Fi.

--Regulus

No comments: