Saturday, April 1, 2017

Saturday Evening Post for April 1st, 2017: Late Night Texting Topics and Brief Weather Update

**This entry was posted April 1st, 2017.**

Soft, damp city night at the intersection of 16th and U Streets and New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 7:48PM March 31, 2017.

*******

Saturday Night.

I'm in a bit of a hurry tonight as I try to finish up my laundry, post this entry, and post a Jukebox Saturday Night edition (which is ready to go) -- and then trek down to Old Ebbitt Grill to meet Andrea.

She and I haven't gone to the Old Bar together in a long time (well over a year).

A blurry picture at Dupont Circle, Washington, D.C., on a damp, showery, lovely evening, 7:32PM March 31, 2017.

*******

Anyway, as a result of this, alas, my planned Saturday Special Edition of BIG Y'EYEMAH's Friday Night Creature Feature: Consume Corncheese and Achieve Commercial Space Flight Edition is cancelled. (Maybe I could do a Monday Afternoon Matinee version? I really do want to post it.)

Dupont Circle and its central fountain on a wet evening, Washington, D.C., 7:36PM March 31, 2017.

*******

I made it to the gym late this afternoon / early evening and got in the full multi-part workout, so that is done.

Last night, I went to No. 9, Trade, and then Stoney's. I had a number of text exchanges, in particular with my childhood best friend Jonathan in New Jersey. I also sent some texts to Kevin and Chris T (in Atlanta).

The Namibian Embassy, 1600 block of New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 7:40PM March 31, 2017.

It's such a cool-looking building. As with most of the building in this neighborhood, I've never been inside it.

*******

My message to Chris T was:

U must be asleep. I'm at Trade. If u do look at my blog, pls follow the link to the Ezra Klein interview with the AI [Artificial Intelligence] guy [author Yuval Harari]. The idea of religion as an ancient form of VR [virtual reality] is stuck with me. That and the idea that intelligence needn't mean consciousness is troubling to me. Do you think i'm crazy?

To be clear, I was referring to this piece that I linked in my previous entry: Yuval Harari on why humans won't dominate Earth in 300 years.

His reply this morning:

Sorry I was so tired I fell asleep. Yes, you are definitely batshit crazy OCD.

A blurry picture along the 1600 block of New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., on a gloomy evening, 7:41PM March 31, 2017.

*******

I also texted Jonathan asking him if he were up.

He wrote: "I am, but I am hanging out with Rebecca. What's up?"

I then wrote a similar message as to Chris, although I added: "I've lost my religion, my faith."

1900 block 16th Street NW, Washington, D.C., on a gloomy, damp, lovely evening, 7:49PM March 31, 2017.

*******

I also asked for an invite to any wedding but added: "Remember - 2 out of 3 str8 men turn into frogs by year 4 of marriage and 7 out of 8 by year 12 of those who don't divorce. Just sayin'"

He responded: "You did get angry with me when I asked you if your spirituality connected with Gnosticism or you were merely identifying with it out of need of succor!"

2000 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C. 3:43PM April 1, 2017.

*******

Me: "A frog or Gnosticism. Those are the choices."

Jonathan: "Or rational humanist. Goodnight, buddy!"

New Hampshire Ave and V Street NW, Washington, D.C., 3:43PM April 1, 2017.

Augustana Lutheran Church is in this picture.

*******

Me: "Do you remember in summer 1982 or thereabouts, u discovered the word QUEEF. That was stuck in my head at the ystdy. For real. OK, NOW G'NIGHT!"

Jonathan: "Yuck. Haha."

Me: "U kept saying it for, like, a week."

My childhood best friend Jonathan when we met in Sea Bright, N.J. (where we spent all our summers at the old Tradewinds Beach Club), January 27, 2013

(I was there for my late great Aunt Babe's 100th birthday.)

*******

Turning to the weather ...

Tonight is a mostly cloudy, cool night with a northwesterly breeze. Yesterday's much-needed rainfall dropped the following amounts at the four regional NWS climate stations:

KDMH: 1.59 inches (this includes 0.03 inches on Thursday)
KIAD: 1.57 inches (this includes a daily record of 1.55 inches yesterday and 0.02 inches today)
KBWI: 1.45 inches (this includes 0.05 inches on Thursday)
KDCA: 0.97 inches (includes 0.01 inches today)

That being the case, KDCA ended up March below normal -- the 10th consecutive month of below-normal precipitation.

For March 2017, KDCA recorded 3.19 inches versus a normal of 3.48 inches, so -0.29 inches. KBWI also ended below normal -- just barely -- at 3.82 inches (-0.08 inches) -- while KIAD ended above normal at 4.12 inches (+0.74 inches).

OK, that's all for now. Jukebox Saturday Night entry to follow in a few minutes ...

--Regulus

No comments: