Sunday, April 23, 2017

In Lieu of That Lost Saturday Evening Post, For Your Consideration, a Sunday Sop of Political Dyspepsia -OR- Counterfactual Bromo-Seltzer

Bizarre-looking oversized life-like (wax?) bust of Abraham Lincoln in Lincoln Theatre window display, U Street NW, Washington, D.C., 2:37AM April 22, 2017.

Caution: This is not a happy entry. Also, this entry contains the last of my Durham work trip pictures (mostly of the return).

*******

Sunday early afternoon.

Just rolling out of bed, so to speak ... Or rather, the pile of quilts, blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals (hippos!) on the floor that serves as my bed in this dust trap of an apartment.

My plan is to post an entry tonight -- reconstructing the entry I had intended to post yesterday but that I lost in a technical snafu.

That entry included a weather update -- there was beneficial light rain yesterday totaling, on average, 1/4" to 1/2" area-wide and much cooler conditions (afternoon highs just around 55F, with the day's highs actually occurring earlier at midnight). Also, more rain is expected tomorrow and Tuesday.

This is a good thing since spring droughts are very bad. However, April continues the recent, extended trend of averaging far above the 30-year normal (+7.6F at KDCA and +7.1F at KBWI through April 21st).

A series of winning ribbons for something called the Mecklenburg Hounds, Inc. Hunter Trials and Horse Show in 1960 on display at the workshop venue I attended last week in Durham, N.C., 11:02AM April 18, 2017.

*******

The entry also had some political commentary. I'll refrain from adding any nihilistic, counterfactually nonsensical trolling by members of the amoral political media with garbage such as this. Now here is an actual approval polling result ahead of the impending 100-day marker.

At the end of the day, America gets what it deserves -- and that's a collapsing Walmarted empire with a brain-dead hinterland populace to which I have zero connection and of which I hope some day (after my parents are gone) be well rid with a life in New Zealand. Nothing good ever can or will come from this country and I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

Descending into a solid cloud deck over the greater D.C. area en route to Reagan Washington National Airport, 3:28PM April 19, 2017.

*******

However, watching Donald Trump's runaway bobsled to hell is still exhilarating -- and it's going to get much, much worse in the next 3-3/4 years, especially for the ignorant, downwardly mobile, opioizoidal, unemployable dolts who think this libertine Elmer Gantry fraud of a pathological liar is their savior and that's fine with me.

Descending over Northwest Washington, D.C., 3:46PM April 19, 2017.

The Washington National Cathedral is visible in this blurry flip-open cellphone image that I took.

*******

In the above-linked counterfactual polling article, I would like to note this comment by vacohee:

"The problem with Trump isn't so much with his policies as with his character and his intellect. What's the basis, you ask, for Trump's policy decisions? It was a rogue hormone. Trump is not guided by any ideology or moral system. Trumpism is Trump himself: it doesn't radiate beyond his very skin. Anything which aggrandizes or flatters him is a virtue; anything which mocks or belittles him is a vice. We are, in real fact, being governed by an unstable endocrine system."

Descent over Washington, D.C., on the Potomac downriver approach into Reagan Washington National Airport, 3:47PM April 19, 2017.

The Watergate complex is visible in the lower right.

*******

Continued:

"This Syrian Tomahawk incident is a case in point. During the campaign he preached "America First" isolationism -- and with particular reference to our involvements in the Middle East. He looked at some pictures of dead children and felt differently ... so he did what his predecessors Clinton or Bush might have: he struck a righteous blow against an oppressor of innocents. His lack of policy stability is as glaring as his mendacity. The generally positive response to the missile strike will flatter him. The next time that he acts on a whim might not end as well."

Downriver Potomac downriver approach into Reagan National Airport with view of Kennedy Center, 3:47PM April 19, 2017.

*******

Continued:

"The problem with Trump isn't so much his policies -- to the extent that he has policy positions -- the problem with Trump is his character and his intellect. We have had good men who were good presidents, like FDR and Reagan. We have had good men who were bad presidents, like Carter and G. W. Bush. We have had men with serious moral flaws -- like Nixon and Clinton -- who had exceptional presidential skill sets. What we haven't had as president until now is a man with neither the intellect nor the character to be president."

Well said -- although I think his policies are also problematic as in pure vicious ass-holery for the sake of it.

*******

View of the National Mall on final approach into Reagan Washington National Airport, 3:47PM April 19, 2017.

This is not the same image that I posted in a previous entry.

*******

So last night, I went to Old Ebbitt Grill and had dinner at the Old Bar and a conversation with a long-time D.C. resident named Andrew, and then I returned home -- and promptly had an aural migraine headache although the flashing light striations went away by the time I went to bed.

On Friday night, I went to Trade and, yes, everything was alright -- sorry to disappoint M. WADE Tipamillyun. Or is it M. WADE Tripabillyun? We certainly know that there's a D. TRUMP Griftatrillyun.

"Like, OH MY, GAWHD!! What-evah!"

Anyway, next I went to Stoney's where Howie was bartending for some dinner and then to No. 9. Finally, I walked to Nellie's before completing the night's circuit by walking back home.

The 14th Street Bridge, as well as the Metro bridge and the CSX/VRE/Amtrak train tracks, over the Potomac River on final approach into Reagan Washington National Airport, 3:48PM April 19, 2017.

*******

I rarely go to Nellie's -- I haven't been there much since GASY the HANGRY CHIPMUNGORILLA's friendship-ending physical attack on me last April (just over a year now). Fuck him.

More generally, I'm so thrilled that all those horrible ex-friends of mine are definitively out of my life forever. It's a good feeling.

Piney Orchard Lake, Odenton, Md., April 23, 2017.

My mom sent me this picture a short while ago and it included the following text:

I changed my mind about [going to] Burba Lake [at Fort Meade]. Instead I'm at Piney Orchard Lake. It's behind the shopping center I took you to when we ate at Italian restaurant in Odenton near Marc train station. I've attached picture and sending another one. It's much more quiet and peaceful here and no Canada geese pooping everywhere. The lake has a path which circles it and very nice for walking.

*******

OK, that's all for now. Sunday is my one free day and I'm just going to take a walk and get lunch. And a couple drinks.

Yours truly at Logan Tavern at a dinner with BK-in-NYC who was here in DC that weekend. He sent this to me yesterday* -- except I don't recall when it was taken.

*The caption read: "My dear friend Ritchie ..."

Sigh.

*******

As it is, given how lengthy this "brief update" turned out to be, I might just refrain from any additional entries until tomorrow (Monday) night after the gym.

--Regulus

No comments: