Tuesday, April 25, 2017

A Seattle-y Sort of D.C. Spring Night; Recycling Anew the Excellent Sitcom Becker; and Happy One-Quarter Birthday to a Svelte Baby Hippo!

Damp, cool, breezy night, 2100 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 10:39PM April 24, 2017.

*******

Monday night -- well, actually, Tuesday morning at this point.

The weather tonight is basically my ideal weather, especially for April in that we are on the precipice of what is likely to be a long, hot, humid, and horrible summer -- namely, cool, northeasterly (maritime) breeze, air temp around 54F, and intermittent rain showers. Indeed, it feels Seattle-y.

Damp, cool, breezy night, 2000 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 10:41PM April 24, 2017.

*******

However, it is forecasted to warm up again by the weekend -- and April remains on track to be the warmest April on record in D.C. (as measured at KDCA) -- and it might do that without having officially hit 90F at all. Recall that February was the warmest February on record.

The yard of the row house at 1441 R Street NW, Washington, D.C., 4:36PM April 23, 2017.

*******

Rainfall on Monday was quite light -- a tenth to a quarter of an inch. The good news is additional and heavier rainfall is forecasted tomorrow. Recall that we are still in drought conditions -- and while we're running about average for the month so far, we're 10 to 20 percent below normal year-to-date and over 40 percent below normal for the preceding 6 to 7 months.

A yard in the 1400 block of R Street NW, Washington, D.C., 4:37PM April 23, 2017.

*******

Well, I was going to write a lengthier entry, but now I'm tired and just relaxing at home after work and the gym. I just made dinner, but it came out kind of sucky. I'm just not a good cook -- and never have been. (And I am concerned that I have an ulcer -- I need to go to the doctor next week.)

I'm watching my usual trip of late weeknight Antenna TV sitcom reruns including the wonderful program Becker.

In particular, and having cycled through the whole 113 episodes over the past few months, Antenna TV is showing the pilot episode of Becker from November 1998. Right off the bat, from the pilot episode, it was an awesome show -- very funny yet profound.

Last week (Thursday), I saw the pair of episodes that were the second-to-late and last episodes that aired in January 2004. The second-to-last one "Subway Story" is really wonderful.



The episode features as the main story line Becker helping an elderly lady named Naomi -- visiting from Connecticut -- navigate the New York City subway system -- starting out in the Bronx (where Becker is set). Naomi is trying to get to Chambers Street in Lower Manhattan on what would have been his 40th birthday.

Her son was supposed to have died in the 9/11 attacks. The actress who plays is Naomi is Frances Sternhagen (pictured left).

A Washington, D.C., native, Ms. Sternhagen, now 87, has had a long, varied acting career on stage, in the movies, and on television. She is probably best known for playing Esther Clavin, mother of Cheers character Cliff Clavin.

She is also the mother of six children. She apparently met her late husband, actor Thomas Carlin, at the Catholic University of America here in D.C.

*******

So I think I'll wrap up this entry.

Oh, yes, HAPPY ONE-QUARTER BIRTHDAY, HIPPO FIONA!

She's now 3 months old -- and weighs in at a svelte 166 pounds (and climbing). (FYI: She's already about 8 pounds heavier than I am at the end of a gym workout in nothing but some skivvies.) Here are some updates.

Fiona the Hippo gets her weigh-in late week. Baby is putting weight nicely -- but still has a way (weigh) to go.

*******

OK, that's about all for now. I need to go to bed -- and I want to have a productive day tomorrow at work writing up the notes from the Durham workshop breakout session I attended.

Enclosed outside deck, Trade, Washington, D.C., 7:02PM April 23, 2017.

I had met Kevin and his friend Shane earlier at Pearl Dive, and then Kevin and I went to Barcelona and, thereafter, I stopped at Trade.

*******

I may try to update the blog tomorrow after work, but it's a non-gym night and may (probably will) not, in which case my next planned update is late Wednesday.

--Regulus

No comments: