Sunday, January 1, 2017

Welcome to 2017: "What's Past is (Hopefully Not) Prologue" and Year of the Great American Eclipse

New Year's Eve balloons at La Tasca, Rockville, Md., 7:49PM December 31, 2016.

As far as this image goes and how my New Year's Eve unfolded, I guess, per William Shakespeare, what's past really is prologue. I hope not.

*******

This is just a quick entry for the purpose of having an entry dated January 1st, 2017. I intend to post an entry with the pictures I took last night -- in Rockville and back here in the District -- tomorrow. (Having said that, by the time I completed this entry, I ended up posting over half of them anyway.)

No. 9, Washington, D.C., 12:03AM January 1, 2017.

*******

Last night was, I guess, fun. I had a nice dinner with David and family at Gordon Biersch and then David and I went to La Tasca for another drink and conversation. I headed back on the Metro into D.C. and stopped for another bit of dinner at Trio and then went to No. 9, where I rang in the New Year watching Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin on CNN, although as usual, there is no actual countdown except what is being shown on the flat screen TVs.

That is, the music just keeps playing and there is no formal countdown -- although people start counting down within 10 seconds of the stroke of midnight (on the CNN clock) and the ball in Times Square is dropping. There was a countdown clock on the wall but it was off nearly 30 seconds from the CNN countdown and both were off about 15 seconds (splitting the difference) from my phone.

New Year's Eve revelers upstairs at No. 9, 12:56AM January 1, 2017.

*******

For tonight, Sunday, New Year's Day, it is basically like a Saturday night (minus mobs of people, I suppose) since tomorrow is the actual federal holiday.

An Absolut vodka container in the shape of a New Year's Eve ball on the upstairs bar, No. 9, Washington, D.C., 1:04AM January 1, 2017.

*******

I'm going to the gym tomorrow -- and not looking forward to the annual start-of-the-year rush of people who will mob the gym for about a month or so. I'm planning on going up to see my mom and Ray on Tuesday morning and teleworking that day before returning on Wednesday morning.

The only other thing I wanted to say is that for 2017, I intend to devote it very heavily to my beloved betrothed, BIG Y'EYEMAH.

Look how dainty and petite she is.

*******


Also, I'm VERY pleased so say that 2017 will be a totally GASY the HANGRY CHIPMUNGORILLA-free year, so none of that life-draining nonsense. Ditto any megalomaniacal restaurateurs and their equally megalomaniacal bar keeps.


The only megalomaniac in 2017 with which we must contend will be in the White House -- the OBE, Orange Buffoon Emperor -- and the GOP Jacobins in Congress, but I have zero control over that so why give a damn. Besides, it's what America wants and needs so have at it.

Oh, and no Larry's Trap House and Opium Den. God, I hated that place.


Not to mention no duck, duck goose, or rather, duck, duck and its crow dynasty.

"The Man in the High Castle" ad at the Rockville Metro Station, 9:33PM December 31, 2016.

I realized in looking at this ad that there is a person lurking in one corner of the Statue of Liberty's crown.

*******

OK, that's all for now. Welcome to 2017, year of the Great American Eclipse (but more on that in subsequent entries).

--Regulus

No comments: