Saturday, December 31, 2016

Saturday Evening Post for December 31st, 2016: Giving AD 2016 the Send-Off It Richly Deserves

Dusk as seen in the 2000 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 4:28PM December 30, 2016.

*******

Well, I had planned for a bigger end-of-year entry -- given how New Year's Eve is coinciding with Saturday and my usual "Saturday Evening Post" series, not to mention what a shitty year was 2016 and I am eager to see it leave.

The bar at Sea Catch restaurant, Georgetown, Washington, D.C., 6:54PM December 29, 2016.

*******

Of course, we have Donald Trump and wall-to-wall rightwing radical GOP government about to assume total power, so 2017 and 2018 promise to be quite ugly, although at least hope as we know it is dead, so there's none of that bullshit optimism.

Yours truly, L'Enfant Plaza Metro station, orange/blue/silver lines platform Washington, D.C., 9:29PM December 29, 2016.

*******

I didn't get to bed until about 430AM and I didn't finally get up until 2PM today, which nixed my plans for a longer entry. Also, I have to leave here by 430PM in order to get to Rockville to meet David and his family at Gordon Biersch for dinner. Thereafter, I don't really know what to do. I have invites to two parties -- one in Hyattsville -- but neither are very convenient to where I live, esp. as I lack a car.

Right now, I'm doing multiple loads of laundry in the laundry room -- or rather, the machines are doing it. I am just waiting for them to finish.

Office view overlooking Southwest Washington, D.C., from L'Enfant Plaza, 1:55PM December 28, 2016.

*******

It is a gray, flat sort of day with temps around 46F. The year ends below normal on precipitation, especially at KDCA. Here are the totals through yesterday -- and I don't think there will be any more today:

KDCA: 31.70"
KBWI: 40.52"
KIAD: 35.33"
KDMH: 39.56"

Compared to the current 30-year annual averages of 39.74" at KDCA, 41.88" at KBWI, and 41.54" at KIAD, this puts them down 8.04", 1.36", and 6.21", respectively. This is with respect to the 1981 - 2010 period.

KDMH does not yet have a full 30-year average or normal period. As usual, it was also above normal temperature-wise. (Not to worry, though, because the study of climate science is about to become a serious crime in America, but the Teabaggers and Trump lunatics are thrilled to be "great again.")

Rain is forecasted for early next week followed by much colder weather.

OK, I do need to wrap up this entry if I have any hope of trying to post a jukebox Saturday night entry in the next hour.

However, I do want to end with a link to a Matt Yglesias Vox.com piece about the bullshit Hillary e-mail story and how it swayed the election outcome.

This was a result first of the white-hot intense coverage by a whore political "mainstream" media. To be clear, I'm not even talking about the Fox News / GOP conservative media-entertainment complex and agit-prop machine. Instead think nihilistic political pundits such as Chris Cillizza and Chuck Todd, plus CNN and even the New York Times coverage.

Then, there was the unprecedented and basically extra-Constitutional intervention by the FBI under James Comey -- in what was basically a coup by rightwing elements within the FBI with Comey's not-so-tacit help -- that caused so many late votes to break against Hillary in just the right (wrong) states and so allowed Trump to eke out his Electoral College technicality win and gave us this horrible situation. Anyway, here is the piece (link embedded):


And with that, let's end this fucking year 2016 with a big fuck you, 2016.

--Regulus

P.S. I don't think I have time to post a jukebox Saturday night entry today. Oh, well.

No comments: