Tuesday, November 8, 2016

More Dead End Endnotes and Election Endgame

Row houses, 1700 block of S Street NW, Washington, D.C., 3:31PM November 6, 2016.

The ruddy red row house with the forest green-painted third floor balcony is 1717 S Street NW. I recall there used to be a tall tree that shaded this row house but it was taken down some years ago. Any one of these houses is easily worth $1.5 million -- maybe $2 million.

I took the pictures in this entry on Sunday while walking over to Bistro Bistro for an early dinner.

*******

Well, I had intended a full entry tonight but it is already 12:34AM as I start this entry, I'm quite tired after the gym and following everything that transpired earlier today (Monday) and on Sunday.

The sky above the 2000 block of New Hampshire Ave NW -- outside my apartment building -- Washington, D.C., 3:20PM November 6, 2016.

I've marked the clouds (in the photo file names) as altostratus but I'm not entirely sure since they can sort of blend into altocumulus or, alternatively, cirrostratus.

*******

Without going into too much detail, there has been a bad rupture in a certain relationship (gee, I write that a lot), but this one involves a family member. As I have very little family to begin with, and as I'm not talking to one (crazy) member, it should be fairly simple -- if you are a regular reader of this blog, which I doubt you are -- to surmise who this is.

Altostratus clouds (see above) and a jet contrail high in the sky above Washington, D.C., as seen from the 2000 block of New Hampshire Ave NW, 3:20PM November 6, 2016.

*******

A number of things contributed to it -- with the proximate cause being my excessive drinking and multiple unresolved familial and life issues and, ultimately, this was my fault. Having said that, a contributing factor is this person's support for Donald Trump despite everything that this means. I'm not OK with that. It's a real slap in the face to me personally -- and evidence, once again, of what an alien presence I am in that place despite who I am in relation to that person.

More altostratus clouds in the sky above the 2000 block of New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington, D.C., 3:20PM November 6, 2016.

That is my apartment building on the right.

*******

How you can vote for a fascistic madman -- and on the basis of being what I can only characterize as a low-information voter via a bunch of Fox News / rightwing media entertainment complex bullshit scandal-mongering about emails and Benghazi -- and everything that this means is beyond me.

Low-angled sunlight shines through the fall foliage of the trees in the 1900 block of New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 3:24PM November 6, 2016.

The very dry -- now drought -- conditions of the past few months have rendered this year's fall foliage display muted and even drab.

*******

More to a personal point, though, it also is evidence (once again) that nothing I say matters and that I am only a fair weather relation. This brings into focus for me the fact that (with a few exceptions among my close friends), people seldom, if ever, respect me or take anything I say to seriously.

Yes, that makes me feel like Rodney Dangerfield: I never get any respect ...

Altostratus clouds above the Harrowgate building, 1800 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 3:26PM November 6, 2016.

I used to live in the Harrowgate between Feb. 2001 and Nov. 2003.

*******

As for this person and the relationship, there is a whole backstory and history stretching back decades that leads up to the present and the weird and empty life I live that also plays into it but I really don't want to get into it on this blog. I am beyond tired of this periodic ruptures and utter conditionality of any relationship, though. It was so ugly for years and although we had apparently gotten past it, in truth, we (or maybe I) never did.

I don't know if I'm going to revisit this subject on this blog (probably not).

Looking up into the boughs of a large tree that grows in the small triangular grassy area between New Hampshire Ave, S Street, and 17th Street NW, Washington, D.C., 3:26PM November 6, 2016.

This tree is either a chestnut tree or a chestnut oak. I think it is the former but I've never been wholly sure.

*******

I will say, though, that 2016 has been a weird year in which I have had a whole series of friendships / relationships end -- with the common theme that they all involved people I really didn't want in my life anymore anyway. This is the diametric opposite of the way I used to be and, well, I feel fine about it. Or rather, I feel nonplussed about it.

Not really sure where that leaves me.

Birds fly past 1707 Street NW (house on the left), Washington, D.C., 3:30PM November 6, 2016.

The mansion on the right -- still uninhabited -- fronts onto New Hampshire Ave.

*******

Oh, yes, did you know that M. WADE Tipamillyun and his exurban (quite likely Trump-voting) Virginia fan club some years ago kept a now-defunct blog called "Lowering My Expectations" that was a sort of group joke directed at me. Well, the good news I further RAISED my expectations and now I recognize M. WADE Tipamillyun for what he is and have adjusted any feelings accordingly. Pompous, two-bit, BMW-driving, Tysons Galleria-shopping, pop cultural gibberish-spewing jackass.

Fall day, 1700 block of S Street NW, Washington, D.C., 3:32PM November 6, 2016.

*******

Anyway, for tomorrow, my plan is to be at Dito's Bar at Floriana to watch the election results swoop in -- unless the little place is so mobbed that I can't even fit in, in which case I'll find somewhere else.

OK, that's all for now. I'll be in touch -- whatever the outcome and no matter what happens -- on the other side of this election. And I promise not to mention in light-hearted media-whore fashion how those Teabagging Trumpistas in Dixville Notch vote. I loathe that stupid "tradition."

The corner house -- with its cool turret -- at 19th and S Streets NW, Washington, D.C., 3:35PM November 6, 2016.

*******

As for the election, just remember the two old expressions, the second of which is attributed to Stalin.

1. Vote early, vote often.

2. It doesn't matter who votes. What matters is who counts the votes.

OK, that really is all for now.

--Regulus

No comments: