Saturday, October 29, 2016

Saturday Evening Post for Oct. 29th, 2016: An Ugly October Surprise -OR- It's God's GOP World, We Just Live In It; General Update

**This entry was posted October 29, 2016.**

Behold ...

... the face of the ultimate and most powerful enabler of a Donald J. Trump presidency and all the catastrophes that such a historical mistake will bring.

New York Times online headlines, 3:04PM Oct. 29, 2016.

*******

FBI Director James Comey unprecedented and brazen -- not to mention hopefully career-ending -- decision to interfere in a U.S. presidential election ...

... with the shocking announcement that the FBI was reopening the Hillary Clinton email inquiry -- just 11 days before the presidential election -- on the tissue-thin pretext that "about 1,000 new emails" were discovered as a result of the investigation into Clinton confidant Huma Abedin's estranged (and soon-to-be-ex) husband and sexting maniac Anthony Weiner.

Left: Two related headlines from the online WaPo related.

Sex maniac Anthony Weiner. He looks a lot like Wall-P, which is just another reason to loathe him.

*******

The news hit like an incendiary device going off in a crowded movie theatre. The Clinton campaign and all her strong supporters -- yours truly, included -- had the wind knocked out of us. (I actually felt a mini-migraine flare through my brain when I read the first news of it on the TPM.com wire feed while at work.)

Pug-faced sleazoid Mormon hitman Rep. Jason Chaffetz.

*******

On the Republican side, all the bat-shit crazy Flying Monkeys were in a state of literally orgiastic glee. You see, the shitty James Comey decided to announce his renewed investigation via a letter to the House Republican lunatics led by that pug dog-faced Jason Chaffetz -- and did so over the objections of the Attorney General and contrary to Justice Department policy.


It's a very ugly thing -- and the ultimate "October Surprise" -- and the cable news animals are going wild with four-way split screens featuring screaming heads including all those rightwing platinum blonde fembots that are the spiritual descendants of Ann Coulter.


I can't even imagine the on-air brick-shitting occurring on the Fox News Channel, and the Vulgar Lying Pigboy is probably popping multiple OxyContin pills to contain himself.


James Comey is a [REDACTED] and the FBI itself consists mostly of aging, rather stupid, flatulent frat boy types-turned-all-"law enforcement" goons, and they are overwhelmingly virulently rightwing, so the idea that this is an attempted coup, of a sort, to alter the outcome of a presidential election is no surprise.

The FBI is just one more American institution that's turned to useless shit in our Hunger Games-like dystopian world of Manichean conflict for commercial entertainment purposes.


I have no idea how this will impact things but I do want to say that there is a not-trivial part of me that would be relieved if Hillary Clinton lost.

Why?

Because -- as I discussed in my previous entry -- even if the Madame manages, as I still suspect, to pull off a narrow victory, the next four or eight years are going to be -- from a political perspective -- a sort of hybrid World War I-style trench warfare, guerrilla warfare, and World War III.


The result will be an ever-more-toxic American body politic and country that increasingly fails to function. It will have been our very fucked up American-style capitalist system -- unmoored from any constraints except an atavistic desire for money and power by the overclass -- that brought such a virulent pathogen in the form of epistemically-closed infotainment bubbles that brought about the collapse of civil society.


Having a Trump presidency and wall-to-wall rightwing Republican governance -- one in which "the Ryan Budget" is passed on the very first day while Grover Norquist whacks off in front of the entire House chamber -- and the resulting multiple catastrophes that would unfold would bring about the American political Götterdämmerung that seems to be inevitable anyway.


But at least I would have zero part it in -- and instead could just watch from the obscure peanut gallery as all hell breaks loose.

That's all I'm going to say for now -- except this: Thanks, God. You're as vicious as you are amoral.


Love Ya.

*******

Flowers on a light pole outside the Smithsonian Castle, Washington, D.C., 6:10PM October 27, 2016.

*******

As a brief update, last night, I went with Andrea to Cuba Libre, where we met, as arranged, Kevin. Andrea could not stay long but Kevin and I remained there for an hour or so. I was rather depressed (see above), until the liquor started to kick in.

Interior of Dolcezza, Logan Circle, Washington, D.C., 7:36PM October 26, 2016.

I went there to meet that fellow Zack whose passport I found 10 days earlier. He showed up -- in jogging attire, having jogged there from his place -- and ran in, shook my hand, gave me two $20 bills, and ran out. That was that. I didn't want any money.

You're welcome.

*******

Thereafter, we went to the Cure Bar and Bistro at the Grand Hyatt Washington. While there were multiple TVs on -- muted, at least initially -- mercifully, all were tuned to sports and not fucking CNN or worse.

Kevin's friend Joe showed up and the three of us soon went to Fig and Olive followed by Capitol City Brewing Company, where we all did a shot -- at which point, I headed up on foot toward Dupont Circle. I stopped at Dito's Bar for a last drink, although I was kind of gone at that point.

I also spent a shit-ton of money in that whole bar crawl.

Counter area, Dolcezza, Logan Circle, Washington, D.C., 7:37PM October 26, 2016.

*******

I got home a bit after midnight and slept to about 2PM, as I typically seem to do on weekends. I made it to the gym, where I had a good multi-part workout, although the music being played sucked and it was difficult to avoid the one television tuned to CNN while on the goddamn treadmill for 60 minutes plus 5 minute cool down. (I jogged a total of 6.76 miles in 65 minutes.)

Capitol City Brewing Company, Washington, D.C., 10:13PM October 28, 2016.

*******

I also weightlifted, did some core workout, and went into the swimming pool. My weight seems to have stabilized at a new 155-pound level -- up 13 pounds from my low in late 2014 / early 2015, still down 30 pounds from my June 2012 peak, BUT with the bulk of the gain in muscle mass.

Lobby and soaring atrium, Grand Hyatt Washington, Washington, D.C., 8:48PM October 28, 2016.

*******

I'm home now doing my laundry and posting this entry and the Jukebox Saturday Night entry to follow. For tonight, I don't know what I'll do -- probably just the usual stuff.

Morning Sun, DOE headquarters, Washington, D.C., 10:03AM October 28, 2016.

*******

The weather today was again shitty -- way too warm and not a drop of rain in sight. It reached a high of 75F at KDCA and tomorrow is forecasted to be worse with a high of 81F, which will flirt with the daily record of 82F at KDCA set in 1996 and 1946 (both airport records).

A cold frontal passage tomorrow night may bring some scattered showers and thunderstorms, but mostly we remain in a drought pattern.

Blurry picture of Halloween revelers outside my apartment building just after midnight, Washington, D.C., 12:08AM October 20, 2016.

Halloween falls on Monday this year, so the costumed celebrations of it have been taking place this weekend. Here our Egyptian pharaoh takes a drag on a cigarette.

*******

OK, that's all for now. My next entry may be late Monday / early Tuesday. Jukebox Saturday Night entry to follow shortly.

--Regulus

No comments: