Saturday, September 17, 2016

Saturday Evening Post for September 17th, 2016: Entry #2,016 - The Blog Post Number Equals the Calendar Year Edition

**This entry was posted September 17, 2016.**

Small canoes at Fletcher's Boathouse along the Potomac River, Washington, D.C., Sept. 12, 2016; Photo by Joe Flood and reposted in this CWG entry.

*******

Entry #2,016 -- the entry number matching the current year.

I do not feel that well tonight. In fact, I skipped my usual Saturday afternoon / early evening gym routine (and I'm not happy about that). Instead, I didn't get out of bed until literally 4PM.

This is because I went out after work yesterday evening and stayed out much too long and drank much too much. I initially went to the National Press Club bar with a co-worker (and good friend) who is a member. I had about four drinks including an old fashioned. (Dark liquor is a no-no for me.) We had some food, too. Thereafter, I stopped at a new restaurant near Franklin Square and had a Moscow Mule.

Another photo by Joe Flood of Fletcher's Boathouse along the Potomac River, Washington, D.C., Sept. 12, 2016.

******

I would mention the name of the restaurant (it's in the location of the old Tuscana West) except my attempt at humor with the bartender at the expense of one of the managers (who was not nearby when I said it) fell very flat and I soon left (after paying my tab via another bartender).

The manager -- an older, short, heavy-set man in a suit -- had the biggest jowls I've ever seen relative to someone's face. Indeed, when he looked down, he had no chin at all -- just rolling, gelatinous fat that squished out into a sphere 

My dad and myself and our bull mastiff dog "Borky" in our house in Long Branch, N.J., circa 1977.

*******

I remarked to the bartender that my childhood bull mastiff didn't have jowls that big (see above picture).

Crickets and awkward silence.

Lobby of a building in the 1300 block of I Street NW, Washington, D.C., 8:24PM September 16, 2016.

*******

I stopped at the Green Latrine Lantern, but didn't have anything there. Instead, I went to Trade and then to No. 9, at which point the night just sort of faded out.

I must have stopped for dinner before walking home. I say this judging by how much money I spent last night and judging by the results of flossing this afternoon, esp. as I had no food in the apartment.

New Hampshire Ave and 17th St NW, Washington, D.C., 5:36PM September 17, 2016.

*******

Having said all that, I managed to get out of the apartment around 5PM and get a haircut at the Hair Cuttery. Bea again cut my hair, and I quite enjoy talking to her. Thereafter, I went grocery shopping, although it was a pain in the ass because that 17th Street Safeway is a bit ghetto and a bit Third World, including the sidewalk homeless encampment outside of it.

In this case, only one checkout line was available with a cashier (because of a computer issue) so I used the self-checkout line, except I always screw up the bagging badly.

I also just did several loads of laundry including bedding.

Evening sky and trees, 1700 block New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 5:38PM September 17, 2016.

*******

For tonight, I'm going to go out -- but only for a short while. I'm still not recovered from last night. Mostly, I'm just going out to -- in the immortal words of Uncle Fester from Larry's Trap House / Opium Den / Gay Boozer Lounge -- to "damage control," or rather, just to see if there are any issues since (as mentioned), I don't recall much of the end of last night including walking home.

If I'm banned from anyplace -- or, indeed, every place --  that I went to last night, well then HOT DAMN! It's a big city -- I'll find other places to go.

1700 block R Street NW, Washington, D.C., 6:15PM September 17, 2016.

*******

Turning to the weather, there is FINALLY a decent chance of rain across the area tomorrow with amounts of 1/2" to over 1". We really need the rain.

Of course, the CWG's Greg Porter -- one of the newer meteorologists to start writing for the site and a graduate student in the same (though since renamed) UMCP program through which I passed almost 20 years ago -- is still reflexively anti-rain, remarking in this evening entry that today (Saturday): "It's been a better day than Sunday will be, as the second half of the weekend looks wet."

12-km resolution NAM 18Z 9/17/2016 run showing total precipitation in inches from 18Z 9/17/2016 through 3Z 9/20/2016 for the northeastern quadrant of the United States.

*******

While I get the anti-rain reflexive sentiments of non-meteorologists, what confuses me, is when the "I want 12 months a year of sunny, warm weather!" come from people who actually study meteorology because, presumably, they are really interested in "the weather" in its many manifestations. (I posted that in a comment there under Arcturus24.)

Next week is forecasted to be back in the frickin' 80s Fahrenheit for highs. I wouldn't be shocked if we get to 90F again before the "warm season" is over -- even in October.

OK, I'm going to start to wrap up this entry. My next planned entry will be on Monday night. About entries for next week, because I again have to be onsite at DOE HQ for much of the week, and because this requires being there by about 915AM, I simply cannot post entries at 230AM. Instead, anything I post will have to be by midnight -- and, thus, necessarily shorter in length.

As it is, I'm tired of writing about this goddamn presidential campaign, all the hatred and bile directed at Hillary, and how Donald Trump is forever surging in the polls.

FiveThirtyEight.com Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump odds of winning electoral map (shaded) in the current polls plus forecast model, September 17, 2016.

*******

However, before ending, I would like to direct your attention to this very good piece by Matt Yglesias of Vox.com: The race is tightening for a painfully simple reason.

As for the authoritarian lunatic buffoon that is Donald Trump -- and who could very well become the next president, a fact that says some profoundly disturbing things about the American citizenry -- he's back to making Hillary assassination jokes and it gets big laughs inside the rightwing media / entertainment bubble while the "mainstream media" complex with their nihilistic horserace approach and reflexively pathologically anti-Hillary bias lap it all up.

FiveThirtyEight.com Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump trend line of odds of winning from June 8th - Sept. 17th, 2016 in the current polls plus forecast model.

*******

Any country that elects Trump -- even with just a plurality -- deservedly gets whatever disasters he brings upon it. And voting for that idiot Gary Johnson and that even bigger idiot Jill Stein counts as voting for Trump.

OK, that's all for now. Again, my next planned entry will be late Monday. Jukebox Saturday Night entry to follow momentarily (as in, I've already composed it).

--Regulus

No comments: