Friday, September 23, 2016

Late Night Brief Entry -OR- Energy Plus Work Is Inversely Proportional to Blogging Time, Squared

United States Department of Energy headquarters -- also known as the James Forrestal building with its architecturally problematic design for a large office space in the early 21st Century -- in Washington, D.C., 6:13PM September 21, 2016.

*******

Ugh. And sigh.

It's 12:20AM as I start this entry.

I am home following a regular work day in which I got into work an hour later than I should have (recall that I am onsite at DOE HQ for the next 2 to 4 weeks and so I need to get in at a certain time, as opposed to my regular office where I have more of a flex schedule).

It also follows a gym night -- multi-part workout -- rather than drinking (and some eating as well) after work and spending -- wasting -- a shit ton of money that I can't afford if I ever want to do something beyond living paycheck to paycheck.

Behind the bar at the Bottom Line pub, Washington, D.C., 7:03PM September 21, 2016.

I quite like this place but the problem is that it is (1) often very crowded and (2) the music -- when someone plays the jukebox -- is horrendously loud, especially if it is (as is often the case) a bad song. (A bartender explained to me that when the bar's regular music plays, it is much quieter.)

I went there and then headed over to Floriana, where I met Mark.

*******

Oh, Great Oracle of Hippo, what timeless wisdom did the gods reveal to you this day??

"AND THERE YOU IS -- A BURPIN' AND A BELCHIN' AND A BREAKIN' WIND like NOBODY'S BUSINESS!!"

Very profound insights, indeed, Great Oracle of Hippo. We thank you for bestowing these upon us.

******

Because I am very tired now and really do not want to get into work late tomorrow, I'm just going to fob off on the entry I planned -- which was the usual mix of weather (sunny, too warm despite the arrival of autumn, and still drought-dry) and politics (Hillary has upticked a bit but the election as measured in the FiveThirtyEight polling model of her odds of winning) is still a Trumpocalypse-in-the-making).

The Madame mixes with the masses at a campaign stop at Frontline Outreach Center in Orlando, Fla., Sept. 21, 2016.

Re. the election, here is a useful Nate Silver analysis piece (link embedded): Clinton's Leading In Exactly The States She Needs To Win: Here's why that isn't as good as it sounds.

For tomorrow, I may meet Fred at Annie's right after work, and also a gym acquaintance later at Floriana, so I probably won't have a regular blog posting until Saturday -- and that will be my usual two entries of Saturday Evening Post and Jukebox Saturday Night editions.

G'night. Time again, I guess, for some weird dreams.

--Regulus

No comments: