Saturday, September 10, 2016

Jukebox Saturday Night for Sept. 10th, 2016: The Commemoration and Applause Edition

Let's start with something old school 1970s upbeat ...


"Philadelphia Freedom" by Elton John (or rather, the Elton John Band) released as a single* (1975)

*It was later put on two different Elton John albums.

Somehow this hopeful, gently patriotic song seems appropriate on the eve of the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

*******

Next up, another really nice song ...


"Valerie" by Steve Winwood from his album "Talking Back to the Night" (1982)

I truly like this song. It became a bigger hit when rereleased on Winwood's 1987 album Chronicles.

Eric Prydz used a sample of Valerie for his big hit Call on Me in 2004 which features quite the music video. I featured that song way back in January 2013 when I was transitioning from my Friday Night Musical Interlude to what would become my Jukebox Saturday Night feature.

*******

And I'd like to end with something suitably Saturday night energetic ...


"Applause" by Lady Gaga from her Artpop release (2013)

True, I featured this song in a June 2015 Jukebox Saturday Night edition, but it was stuck in my head the other day and I'd like to re-feature here.

"Give me that thing that I love (I'll turn the lights out) /
Put your hands up, make 'em touch, touch (make it real loud) / Give me that thing that I love (I'll turn the lights out) /
Put your hands up, make 'em touch, touch (make it real loud)..."


I have to say that I have always been deeply impressed by the backup dancers -- the hyper-frenetic yet incredibly choreographed and synchronized moves by young men and women with astonishing bodies. Learning to dance like that while keeping up that level of super fitness is tremendous.


*******

OK, that's all for now. Please see my previous entry for brief update.

--Regulus

No comments: