Friday, September 9, 2016

Friday Late Afternoon Post: On Trumpster Fires, September Heat Waves, and Some Labor Day Prospectful D.C. and Over-the-Potomac Pics

The Potomac River sparkles in sunlight with the Key Bridge almost silhouetted, Washington, D.C., 5:41PM September 5, 2016.

Note all the kayakers and others out on the Potomac.

*******

Note: I was able to post this entry Friday late afternoon.

I started a new entry last night but that posting immediately became swamped in my effort to excerpt certain op-eds and other pieces (Yglesias, Blow, Krugman, Chait, etc.) on the sociopathic, grand-scale lying of Donald Trump and the danger he represents with the election just two months away, all the more so because of the shitty American media with its professional political reporter and pundit class -- to say nothing of the VRWC -- and their jihad against Hillary Clinton.


"Donald Trump, the Republican nominee for President, does not so much struggle with the truth as strangle it altogether. He lies to avoid. He lies to inflame. He lies to promote and to preen. Sometimes he seems to lie just for the hell of it. He traffics in conspiracy theories that he cannot possibly believe and in grotesque promises that he cannot possibly fulfill. When found out, he changes the subject -- or lies larger."

-- David Remnick of The New Yorker introducing a new series "Trump and the Truth", Sept. 2, 2016.

This was follow-up to NBC's historically-epically disastrous "Commander-in-Chief Forum" featuring the epically worthless Matt Lauer and Trump and Clinton.

A Big Bus tourist bus near the Iwo Jima Memorial, Arlington, Va., 3:57PM September 5, 2016.

*******

We really are entering -- have entered -- dangerous territory in our country given the all-but-certain catastrophic outcomes of a Trump presidency (married to wall-to-wall rightwing Republican domination, since that is what would happen in the event he won). And the lies are so relentless that our false-balance professional media simply can't handle them given the framework in which they operate.

The Iwo Jima Memorial*, Arlington, Va., 3:59PM September 5, 2016.

*It's technically called the U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial.

I had never actually visited the Iwo Jima Memorial prior to this in all my years (decades) in D.C. -- at least not close up but only walking past it. Of note, the U.S. Marine Corps this past June concluded that one of the people in this most iconic of photographs had been misidentified. I did not mention that at the time.

*******

As for the rightwing media/entertainment razzle-dazzle machine ginning up the angry, fearful, and neoliberal world order downwardly mobile, they love Trump and this American-style fascist blowhard promising violence against everyone who is there enemy (which is everybody else), so there's no issue there.

But I simply didn't have enough readily-available topical pictures.

The east fa├žade of the ginormous Prospect House located on the hilly rise above the Iwo Jima Memorial, Washington, D.C., 4:04PM September 5, 2016.

This is at the edge of Rosslyn, although I think the area is called Radnor Heights. It abuts Fort Myer army base, or rather, the Fort Myer portion of what is called Joint Base Myer–Henderson Hall and adjoining Arlington National Cemetery.

The eastern side of this building has condominiums that face directly down the east-west axis of the National Mall across the Potomac River. Those are multi-million dollar condos. The west side has much smaller units (or so it appears from street level).

*******

It is true that I have a lot of pictures from my Monday Labor Day walk / doings that I'd like to post, but those are not topically-related, and created such a hybrid entry would have entailed staying up until about 4AM, which I was not going to do. This particular entry ended up including the main ones from that day.

The view from the top of the Prospect House in Arlington, Va., toward Washington, D.C., 4:10PM September 5, 2016.

The Prospect House has atop it a reception hall and conference center called Top of the Town. The entrance to it is from 14th Street and there is a glass elevator that goes directly to the top (12th) floor. The door into the antechamber was open, and I just rode the elevator to the top unimpeded. The view was as spectacular in all directions but especially to the east into D.C.

I walked down the small but surprisingly lengthy corridor -- walled by windows part of the way -- hoping to see the actual main reception room, but it was behind a glass door, and there were three young ladies getting ready for a wedding. My questions about public access seemed to baffle them a bit, and I just departed.

*******
I also wanted to write about the weather -- it reached frickin' 98F at KDCA yesterday and 96F at both KBWI and KIAD (a daily record high at the latter) with overnight lows in the 70s F (but not record max minima, although I need to check on that to make sure).

Today will be a repeat of that but with a better chance of daily records on both ends (especially the morning lows), and only a minimal chance of thunderstorms.

The heat should start to break over the weekend, but it's too goddamn hot for this September. Or any time of the year.

The Quarterdeck restaurant is located on a back street in Arlington, Va., 4:16PM September 5, 2016.

The place serves crabs and shrimp. And beer.

The last time I was there was on that very bad July 4th night in 2013 -- very bad in that I was blacked out drunk. I had gone to Jake and Matt's former residence for a backyard BBQ and should have never left to go see the fireworks (by the Iwo Jima Memorial). As a group, we went to Quarterdeck later but I have very little memory of that (Andrea said the waitress nearly asked us to leave as I had fallen asleep at the table) or taking the Metro back to D.C. or walking home. I lost my wallet and keys.

*******

I also wanted to write about all the dreadful characters that are mercifully out of my life from Gasy the Chipmungorilla to Our Gang Larry's Trap House (run by the Crypt Keeper and Psycho Gollum) and the whole, awful Wall-P crowd. That topic is inexhaustible.

But, again, I just ran out of time, esp. as I got home quite late (nearly 11PM) from the gym, where I had a good multi-part gym workout.

Quarterdeck restaurant, Arlington, Va., 4:20PM September 5, 2016.

I found a seat at the far end of the small bar in the front dining area. I had half a dozen shrimp and a salad and beer -- and a dark and stormy. From my vantage point, I could see the organized chaos of the kitchen. The wait for a table was an hour without a reservation.

*******

For today, I don't think I'm going to have time to post an entry tonight, so my next one will be tomorrow (Saturday), and even that might just be my jukebox Saturday night feature (except I really don't have anything I want to post at this point). As for Sunday, that's my free day.

A better view of the west side of the Prospect House in Rosslyn (Radnor Heights?) section of Arlington, Va., 5:11PM September 5, 2016.

Top of the Town is atop the building.

*******

For tonight, while I may go to a post-work happy hour -- of whatever you want to call it -- with a coworker friend, I really and truly want to keep it low-key and not ruin it for tomorrow with the usual excess.

Tony & Joe's outdoor bar area, Washington Harbour, Georgetown, Washington, D.C., 7:19PM September 5, 2016.

I had stopped there for one drink but ended up meeting an acquaintance named Kevin I hadn't seen in a while and we spent about 90 minutes there.

*******

OK, that's all for now. Again, my blogging might be a bit hit-or-miss over the weekend, but I have very few readers, and those I do tend to be friends of mine who follow this blog anyway.

--Regulus

No comments: