Tuesday, September 20, 2016

At Last, a (Somewhat) Rainy Day - An Overview; Topically-Unrelated Sunday Walkabout Pictures; A Bit of Chait & Krugman

The Key Bridge Boathouse located in Georgetown, Washington, D.C., 6:07PM September 18, 2016.

The Key Bridge Boathouse used to be Jack's Boathouse. It's now part of a larger multi-location entity called Boating in DC.

This picture was taken at the end of my approximately 6 mile walk along the Capital Crescent Trail from Bethesda into Georgetown, itself part of a longer ~10 mile walk on Sunday. The pictures in this entry are mostly from my Sunday outing.

*******

So I am really in a blog bind here in that -- for the time being -- I need to be onsite at DOE HQ by about 915AM (today, I was there at 8:58AM) in order to staff a particular desk. As a result, I simply cannot stay up into the wee hours to post blog entries but instead have to get to bed.

It is already 11:31PM as I write this, and I need to have this entry wrapped up by 1230AM. (Updated: I did not actually get it posted until 1AM.)

Blurry cellphone image of the Old Bar at Old Ebbitt Grill, Washington, D.C., 1:46AM September 18, 2016.

That's bartender Larry in the picture. He and bartender Andrea are my regular servers and take care of me when I go there late Saturdays.

I had a really nice conversation with an unusual fellow named Dan who sat next to me (and who texted his wondering wife -- as I saw -- that he was having "a shake" when he was drinking with me at the bar. Dan is a retired police officer from Albany, N.Y., who comes to D.C. on occasion.

*******

I'm back from the gym, where I had a good multi-part workout. I just made dinner -- pork chops and jasmine rice. They actually came out decent. (I suck at cooking.)

Yesterday, I went up to Bethesda in the mid-afternoon on the Metro and had lunch at the bar at Café Deluxe, my first time trying that "American - French bistro"-themed place. The restaurant is actually one of a chain of four in the D.C. area including the one in Bethesda.

The Café Deluxe restaurant bar, Bethesda, Md., 3:44PM September 18, 2016.

I'm not sure if "Café" has the accent acute over the "e" but Blogger auto-corrects it that way, and I'm not going to fight it.

The food was good -- I had the grilled Atlantic salmon Nicoise and two glasses of white wine. However, the 20-something year old bartender and server staff -- not to mention a few customers -- were engrossed in some stupid Redskins football game (we're already at that time of year), and I had to move because I was seated at one point at the bar literally under one of the TVs (all mercifully muted).

Two customers were noisy about the football game. That's some American bistro. Maybe just call it Le Bistro d'Honkytonk and be done with it.

Having said that, my bartender / server, Joshua, was quite attentive.

*******

I then walked on the Capital Crescent Trail the entire way back to D.C. -- into Georgetown -- and thence (after a brief stop at Mr. Smith's, formerly Chadwicks) -- back to Dupont and home. All in all, I walked about 10 miles yesterday (thus making up, at least in part, for having skipped the gym on Saturday). As stated above, the pictures in this entry are taken from my Sunday stop in Bethesda and that walk.

The interior of Café Deluxe, Bethesda, Md., 3:46PM September 18, 2016.

Nearby Mon Ami Gabi is more of an authentic French bistro.

*******


Turning to the weather ...

The Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in standard composite mode looped 6:52AM to 7:22AM EDT September 19, 2016.

This looped image shows the first batch of rain that missed D.C. and the next batch that did not -- although it looked a lot more impressive on the radar than what actually fell.

*******

We finally had some much-needed rain today (Monday) -- the first rain of any note in nearly a month (August 21st to be precise). Daily tallies included the following:

KDCA: 0.46"
KIAD: 0.23"
KBWI: 0.64"
KDMH: 1.78"

The KDMH (Maryland Science Center) amount reflects a morning thunderstorm that did not hit the immediate D.C. area.

The welcome and beneficial rain in this area came late morning and early afternoon.

Actually, when I woke up at 630AM and saw that it had not rained at all -- the pavement below on New Hampshire Avenue was just a bit moist -- it felt like one of those snowstorm busts that happen in the D.C. area with some regularity.

The comment sections of the few CWG entries about the rainfall were all lit up over it. (I'm not going to link to those entries -- it's too late right now for me to do that.)

The Eastern Shore (in particular, the central Delmarva peninsula) had the jackpot with radar estimates of 4 to 8+ inches and even isolated amounts of 10 inches. At least that's what the radar shows.

The giant transmitter tower at 5202 River Rd., Bethesda, Md., 4:28PM September 18, 2016 as seen from the Capital Crescent Trail.

This is one of the dozen or so major transmitter towers in the immediate D.C. area. It carries over-the-air channel 20 WDCA and channel 26 WETA and, I suppose, their digital permutations. The tower has only a daytime strobe mode even at night.

*******

It was also a remarkably humid day for mid-September and on the cusp of autumn. So while the high temp at KDCA was 78F -- exactly normal for Sept. 19th -- the dew point was as high as 73F today and is still at the 11PM hour 71F.

The Capital Crescent Trail, Bethesda, Md., 4:37PM September 18, 2016.

I think this is near mile marker 5.

*******

No additional rainfall is forecasted for the next 5 to 7 days. High temps are forecasted to be back in the frickin' 80s F through Saturday before cooling off into the 70s F by Sunday and Monday.

The Capital Crescent Trail, Bethesda, Md., 4:39PM September 18, 2016.

I had to use the forest twice.

*******

For tomorrow, I'm supposed to meet my mom at Union Station (at Uno's) for lunch. She is taking the train in from Anne Arundel County. Tomorrow night is a non-gym night, and I'll probably stop at my two usual places (Trade and Floriana), but I also need to be home by 10PM-ish for the same work-related reason.

Another one of my always-blurry pictures of the Dalecarlia Tunnel along the Capital Crescent Trail, Bethesda*, Md. 4:59PM September 18, 2016.

*I guess this is technically considered Brookmont, Md., although most folks just call this Bethesda. The tunnel runs under MacArthur Blvd and the Washington Aqueduct. It is an old rail line tunnel, of course, that is now part of the CCT.

*******

OK, that's about all for now, except for this ...

... a depressing piece by Jonathan Chait about House Speaker Paul Ryan's latest deeply perverse reverse- class-warring and ecologically destructive "plan for America" that a possible Trump presidency would ensure is enacted into law (link embedded): Paul Ryan Tired of Giving Rich People Most of the Tax Cuts, Decides to Give Them All of the Tax Cuts.

The "Washington Aqueduct" water tower belonging to the Dalecarlia Water Treatment Plant almost exactly on the D.C.-Maryland line, 5:04PM September 18, 2016.

*******

This is what all those virulently anti-Hillary millennials voting for that idiot Gary Johnson and that even bigger idiot Jill Stein are going to help facilitate -- it's the Ralph Nader spoiler effect only Trump is about two orders of magnitude worse than George W. Bush.

Paul Krugman had truly sincere cri de coeur on this very topic in his Monday New York Times op-ed: Vote as if It Matters.

It won't make any difference because nothing ever does -- minds are never changed -- but still ...

Sunlit vegetation along the Capital Crescent Trail, Washington, D.C., 5:11PM September 18, 2016.

Nearly all of this undergrowth are invasive species of various sorts. "Green concrete" is the term sometimes used for Kudzu and the like. This is near mile marker 8 or thereabouts.

*******

OK, that really is all for now. I'll try to update the blog tomorrow (Tuesday night) but I'm unsure.

--Regulus

No comments: