Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Tuesday Telework Day with Noontime Update: Weird Greenlandic Dreams and Very Real Ellicott City, Md., Flooding Pics

A cardinal in a tree, June 11, 2016; Photo by Patrick Lennon, Flickr CWG pool photo.

*******

Apologies for lack of an entry last night.

My schedule is a bit out-of-sorts this week in that I stayed very late at the office last night -- until 9PM -- and today I am teleworking from home. This is because the office is being reconfigured to handle up to eight of us in the outer area that was never really meant to be more than a reception area with a receptionist desk.

This is what happened when the bulk of us came over from the collapsed contracting company back in March and April to our current one -- and still doing all the work we were doing for years for DOE. However, as a group, we are not permanently onsite with the client at Forrestal or elsewhere in the L'Enfant Plaza complex.

Sunset at Blackwater Falls, W.Va., July 25, 2016; Photo by John J. Young, Flickr CWG pool.

*******

Actually, most of the noisy work was done last night while I was there (I was seated in the back tiny library / conference room). Anyway, I'm working from home today, although in truth, I'm going to the gym around noon as I did not go last night, and then I'll work later this afternoon and tonight from home.

I stopped at Trade for about 45 minutes last night -- the place was dark, nearly empty, and well air-conditioned -- and had a very nice chat with old Bishop Charlie, in particular about Donald Trump. I then went grocery shopping and came home and went to bed by midnight.

A peaceful pond with lily pads and a flower, Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, Washington, D.C., July 31, 2016; Photo by Angela N., Flickr CWG pool.

*******

I had the usual farrago of agitated and sometimes disturbing dreams, this time set more at UMCP in College Park than at the Jersey shore -- typically, it is a hybrid place at some unspecified point in the future and throw in trying to get back into D.C. (why would I want to do that?) and always at dusk or nighttime.

Of note, I've had a number of Greenland-themed dreams lately.

Qinngorput, Nuuk, Greenland, August 6, 2011.

At least that's what the Wikipedia page pictures said.

*******

Yes, Greenland.

As in, I'm at the seashore or even in the ocean, and there is ice in the water because Greenland's massive ice sheets are breaking up. In one dream, I was actually trying to visit Greenland -- Godthab, now Nuuk -- except I was with my father and he didn't want to go there.

Caption: Nuussuaq district in Nuuk, the capital of Greenland, with the Sermitsiaq mountain in background; photo by Oliver Schauf, December 31, 2006.

I would have thought it would be darker there at that time of the year -- regardless of time of day. It's practically on the Arctic Circle.

*******

It's a typical summer day today here in the D.C. area: Partly cloudy, humid (dew point around 70F), and air temp this late morning already about 80F. There isn't much of a chance for rain -- and I suppose that's just fine with the folks in and around Ellicott City where the Saturday night flooding in the sloping historic section was phenomenal, killing two people.

The pictures below are all taken from the third CWG entry linked below. Click / download the images for more information or see the CWG entry.

Damaged cars in Ellicott City, Md., following the Saturday night flooding; photo by Evan Brown, Facebook.

*******

The CWG gang had the following entries on the flooding (links embedded):


Flooded streets during the height of Saturday night's deluge and flash flooding, Ellicott City, Md., July 30, 2016.

*******

Meteorologist Justin Berk's tweet with a montage of Ellicott City, Md., flood images, July 30, 2016.

*******


After the flood in Ellicott City, Md., in the wee hours of July 31, 2016. It went as quickly as it came -- leaving a stunning amount of sediment in its wake.

I trust that Ellicott City -- with its beautiful historic district -- will fully recover. Gov. Hogan declared it a disaster area, enabling funds for recovery.

*******

D.C. itself didn't get much rain -- and shitty National Airport (KDCA) had barely 0.25" of rainfall versus 4 to 6+ inches in parts of Montgomery and Howard Counties and even 2+ inches at KBWI.

This means it didn't really happen "officially" and the Washington Weather Consensus is satisfied in its Neoliberal Meteorological Way ...


OK, that's all for now. I'll try to post the rest of the entry I composed this morning -- it was a political-themed one -- later today if I can. Going to the gym now.

--Regulus

No comments: