Saturday, July 2, 2016

Jukebox Saturday Night for July 2nd, 2016: The I-Really-Should-Be-So-Lucky Edition


"Fly Me to the Moon" as performed by Astrud Gilberto on her The Shadow of Your Smile album (1965)

This song was written in 1954 by Bart Howard and originally titled "In Other Words" with Kaye Ballard making the first commercial recording. Numerous recording artists have performed it including Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, and Nat King Cole.

******

Continuing with my recent Spyro Gyra kick ...


"Cascade" by Spyro Gyra from the group's self-titled debut album (1978)

I really like Spyro Gyra's music. Of note, the group is originally from Buffalo.

*******

And let's end with something suitably Saturday night upbeat and energetic ...


"I Should Be So Lucky" by Kylie Minogue from her album Kylie (1988)

There is a wonderful parody version of this song performed in a skit on the old British comedy show French and Saunders that aired in April 1990. That parody features Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders and the actual mezzo-soprano Sarah Walker, CBE, doing a "dueling divas" rendition of the song and a conductor -- Carl Davis -- who looks like Grandpa Munster.

I featured it in this long-ago entry but Wall-P's YouTube copyright police removed it. In place of that, I found this Daily Motion clip of it. This is the entire 9-minute clip and the song doesn't come until the last few minutes.



*******

As the briefest of updates ...

I made it to the gym today and had a full workout and this evening did my laundry. Last night was alright. I had dinner at the bar at Bistro Bistro on Connecticut Avenue and had a nice chat with the owner. Thereafter, I went to No. 9 and Trade and ended up at Nellie's. That was way too much.

Bartender Derek working upstairs at Nellie's, Washington, D.C., 2:19AM July 2, 2016.

*******

For tonight, I don't really have any plans -- just the usual places, although probably not to Old Ebbitt since I went to dinner last night and that would be too much money for one weekend. I have food at home anyway. For tomorrow, I'm supposed to have lunch in Bethesda with Quill and Andrea.

Row houses in the 1300 block of W Street NW, Washington, D.C., 6:58Pm July 2, 2016.

This was taken outside the YMCA Anthony Bowen.

*******

OK, that's all for now. I'll try to update the blog before July 4th. I'm hoping that the 4th is, in fact, rainy as currently forecasted.

--Regulus

No comments: