Friday, July 29, 2016

Friday Night Foul Ball: General Dyspeptic Update with Topically Unrelated Pictures of a Mid-July Rained-Out Bowie Baysox Game

An approaching thunderstorm as seen from Prince George's Stadium, Bowie, Md., 5:42PM July 16, 2016.

NOTE: All but one of the pictures in this entry were taken on July 16th on my trip to Prince George's Stadium in Bowie, Md., with my mom and Ray to see a Bowie Baysox baseball game versus the Richmond Flying Squirrels (!) that was rained out in a thunderstorm deluge. Those pictures are wholly topically unrelated to the content of this entry.

I had these pictures prepared for a Monday night entry that I never posted.

*******

A big, puffy cumulus (congestus) cloud as seen from a MARC train just leaving Union Station heading north, Washington, D.C., 4:11PM July 16, 2016.

I was heading to Odenton, Md., to meet my mom and Ray.

*******

OK, this isn't going to be a long frickin' entry -- one that nobody reads except the usual Island of Misfit Toys cast member rejects.

First, the weather ...

Even though it isn't as hot as it was earlier in the week, it still touched 92F for a high at shitty National Airport (KDCA), which incidentally had far and away the least amount of rainfall in yesterday's thunderstorms. (It was 104F on this day in 2011.) It also reached 92F at KBWI and 89F at KIAD.

Stormy skies gathering, Bowie, Md., 5:00PM July 16, 2016.

*******

The rainfall totals for July 28th (yesterday) into the wee hours (after midnight) of today were:

KDMH: 2.53"
KIAD: 1.33"
KBWI: 1.06"
KDCA: 0.37"

Frig you National Airport, and Washington, D.C. The LWX crew is happy, though, because it "proves" this or that. And the Palka-Cabra She-Dragon, a.k.a., Miss Snake-Eyes, got what it wanted.

There is another chance of showers / t-storms over the weekend, but I call bullshit.

Donald Trump supporters. Bowie Baysox fans lined up at Pr. George's Stadium, Bowie, Md., 5:23PM July 16, 2016.

*******

As is often the case, I was remarkably uncomfortable all day long -- and this follows yet another night of night sweats that are, quite honestly, rather gross. Even with an a/c and a fan, I manage to wake up all sweaty clammy and my pillows and sheets oddly moist. Oh, and I had the usual farrago of bizarre morning dreams involving swimming pools, a moth flying underwater being eaten by one of two ducks, and sewage / dirt washing into the pool.(This pool was a ginormous one that was in my mom and Ray's oversized house -- in the dream, that is.)

Oh, it also featured my stepfather Ray in a bunk that looked like a jet overhead storage bin.

A young child in a little red wagon-like stroller by his mom and with his family, Prince George's Stadium, Bowie, Md., 5:25PM July 16, 2016.

*******

My clothes are so ill-fitting with my pants always in the process of falling down and my shirts looking like crap (especially in the summer when I tend to not wear button-down shirts, which I find inherently uncomfortable). Speaking of which, I had to go to the bathroom all day and I CANNOT do THAT anywhere but at home unless it is the most extreme emergency, which only happens two or three times a year (or there is a lockable, private bathroom).

So I spent the whole damn day uncomfortable from the spicy Thai dish I had at Baan Thai last night.

The baseball field and stadium stands, Prince George's Stadium, Bowie, Md., 5:35PM July 16, 2016.

*******

Additionally, my old shoes were also incredibly uncomfortable today because they are very old and the Dr. Scholl's footpads were badly worn out. So after work, I went to the Metro Center Macy's and bought four new polo-type shirts (two Nautica and two Club Room) that were medium and, in one case, small). I've had to get rid of all the voluminous large ones I had, but small is a bit too small since I'm 46-years old and incapable (due to age and lifestyle) of being totally and completely trim even with my gym schedule.

Of note, I'm getting rid of the remaining large polo shirts I have. As it is, I would prefer the more golfing like (such as Champions Tour brand) polo shirts with long sleeves. I have three of them and never have luck finding them.

A thunderstorm deluge drenches Prince George's Stadium, Bowie, Md., 5:59PM July 16, 2016.

*******

I also bought an alright-I-guess pair of new Rockport shoes. It wasn't the Timberland pair I wanted -- the shoe section looked like it had been ransacked with slim pickings remaining.

The elderly black fellow, Ronald, who has worked at that Macy's for 35 years -- well before it became Macy's when it was Hecht's -- attended to me as he has for so many years. He's old school, including his politeness and diligence. 

I walked home, uncomfortable and sweaty, but I feel better now, sort of. I have my window a/c going and it has cooled off in here enough to be comfortable.

Approaching squall line as seen from Prince George's Stadium, Bowie, Md., 5:53PM July 16, 2016.

My mom and I got the heck out of the picnic area -- located under a large tent covering that was shaking like crazy in the wind. Ray sat there for a while until someone told him to move, and then he came into the main part of the stadium, wheeling his little oxygen tank, soaking wet. Next time, we'll just drag him with us.

*******

For tomorrow, my plan is for a typical Saturday: gym and then laundry and then a jukebox Saturday night entry and then, probably, Old Ebbitt Grill Old Bar for dinner and Trade and/or No. 9. For tonight, I'm going to Floriana and listen to Dito's stories about attending the Democratic National Convention. (Of note, his cousin, Anastasia Somoza, actually addressed the convention on Monday night and Hillary Clinton referenced her in her wonderful acceptance speech last night.)

Continued thunderstorm deluge, Prince George's Stadium, Bowie, Md., 6:05PM July 16, 2016.

I would say at least 1.5 inches of rain fell at the stadium, although the two nearest official weather spots -- KBWI and KDCA -- had much less.

*******

I'm not going to try Larry's Trap House and Lounge again since Gasy the Chipmungorilla is usually there on Friday nights. Speaking of Gasy, I thought of him because while crossing Dupont Circle to walk home, wearing my uncomfortably fitting clothes, my right pants pocket was such that all my cash -- including the $100 in twenties I had just taken out from the Bank Ho America ATM -- fell out onto one of the lanes.

The rained-out picnic starts to resume, Prince George's Stadium, Bowie, Md., 6:35PM July 16, 2016.

The picnic-with-baseball game was for my mom's walking group, although not everyone looked as though they walked all that much.

*******

I saw the fallen cash immediately and, thankfully, there were no vehicles coming, so I was able to pick it up very quickly. Now if I hadn't seen it -- and if Gasy had been with me -- that money would have went bye-bye. Thankfully, that failed friendship is over.

I also don't want to go to Larry's Opium Den and Lounge because I just dislike so many of the people who go there including the whole B&A crowd and an incredibly annoying idiot friends with Honking LP, another former friend.

The only thing worse would be if Wall-P showed up (he did once, years ago) with The Staff.

That aside, on Sunday, I'm supposed to meet Quill for lunch in Bethesda.

Mooin' on back ...

Picnic goers returned after the thunderstorm but, alas, the baseball game was rained out, Prince George's Stadium, Bowie, Md., 6:48PM July 16, 2016.

Don't try to get between Americans and their hotdogs and cheeseburgers.

Yes, two of those ladies are featured in this entry.

*******

As for The Madame's speech last night, I wanted it upstairs at No. 9 in a crowded room full of gay men who actually stopped drinking for the roughly 1 hour she spoke. I was there with long-time acquaintance Mark, with whom I had gone to dinner at Baan Thai earlier. Mark and I are almost friends these days -- which is precisely the opposite of my relationship with [FILL IN THE BLANK WITH A NAME, ANY NAME] these days.

A young man, Prince George's Stadium, Bowie, Md., 7:35PM July 16, 2016.

*******

I thought Hillary did just fine ...

A picture of one of the TVs showing Hillary's acceptance speech, No. 9, Washington, D.C., 10:58PM July 28, 2016.

*******

...and notwithstanding all the bullshit about her voice, Marco Dumbo Rubio ass-hat tweets, Ron Fournier-like "fact checking" by self-appointed Professional Centrist guardians and "objective" journalists (who turn into stenographers around GOP pols), and today's tribalistic and cult-like Republican Party and its authoritarian demagogue and would-be President Catastrophe Donald Trump.

*******

Now whether she wins in November or not is a wholly unknown since such a large portion of the country's voting citizenry has gone seriously off the rails even as the whole frickin' neoliberal world order tries to wheeze on like it's, as ever, 1999. (Yes, I realize the somewhat problematic nature of my saying that and my strong HRC support, but it's not l999 and she won't govern that way.)

The tarp covering the hopelessly muddy field, Prince George's Stadium, Bowie, Md., 7:45PM July 16, 2016.

*******

OK, that's all for now.

My next planned update will be tomorrow night with the jukebox Saturday night feature.

--Regulus

No comments: