Monday, July 11, 2016

Another Wearying Week in Washington This July

Near the Anthony Bowen YMCA, 1300 block W Street NW, Washington, D.C., 2:56PM July 9, 2016.

I was heading to the gym.

*******

I didn't have an opportunity to update the blog yesterday with my intended entry, nor do I have time now on this Monday morning as I have to get to work. Tonight is a planned gym night and my intention is to update it when I get home, although I really don't want to have another work week night where I get to bed at 230AM (or later). I hate that I do that.

View from my Hampton Courts apartment looking in the direction of Meridian Hill Park, Washington, D.C., 1:53PM July 9, 2016.

The buildings in this view from left to right are the Brittany, the Camden-Roosevelt, and the 2112 New Hampshire Ave. behemoth that really fronts onto W Street.

*******

It's relentlessly sunny and shitty this morning -- endless blue sky with not a hint of clouds or needed rain. I hate summer in D.C. To be clear, I hate D.C. all the time these days, but especially in summertime.

Highs today are forecasted to be about 86F with moderately humid dew points -- around 60F right now, though that will tend to drop during the heat of the day and rise overnight. The next chance of thunderstorms is midweek.

View from my Hampton Courts apartment looking WNW, Washington, D.C., 1:53PM July 9, 2016.

*******

Yesterday, I went up to Bethesda, but I spent too much money as I went to Mon Ami Gabi instead of my planned trip to Tapp'd or American Tap Room. Why that was so I will explain later -- in brief, the UEFA final game between Portugal and France was on turned up blaring loud with everyone raptly tuned in, and I didn't want to deal with that.

As an aside, it's interesting how attuned folks in the D.C. area are to soccer compared to so much of the rest of this country, where the focus is on football, NASCAR, Big Macs, Jesus, and firearms.

I came back into D.C. and went to Trade and then No. 9, where I met my neighbor and friend Fred for a few more drinks. We stopped at Bua where I got some dinner to go.

One last item I'd like to mention briefly here and will detail more in my next entry: On Saturday night around 1030PM almost directly outside my apartment building as I was leaving, I totally unexpectedly met one of my favorite political writers, namely, Jonathan Chait (he is pictured at left).

His car had developed a flat tire and he was trying to flag down the AAA guy who didn't seem him while going through the Saturday night chaotic intersection of 16th and U Streets and New Hampshire Ave. (God, I hate having to cross that intersection every day.)

View from my apartment of the intersection of 16th and U Streets and New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 1:54PM July 9, 2016.

The intersection is worse than it looks.

*******

I'm afraid I took Chait a bit by surprise but we had a nice, brief chat as I told him what a fan I am of his writing, reading what he writes daily.

Yesterday, I had a nice phone chat with BK in NYC about my Chait meeting. As for BK, he is presently in Cleveland with G., who is working overseeing some technical stuff ahead of the impending Republican National Convention shit show and Donald Trump vendible hate-fest.

Puffy cumulus cloud in the summer sky as seen from the 2100 block of New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, D.C., about 2:50PM July 9, 2016.

*******

OK, I better get going. My next planned entry will be later tonight (likely after midnight, but not too much after midnight).

--Regulus

No comments: