Saturday, June 11, 2016

Jukebox Saturday Night for June 11th, 2016: The After Life Intervenes Edition


"Corcovado (Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars)" as performed by Astrud Gilberto with the New Stan Getz Quartet (1964)

"Corcovado" is one of the basso nova standards written by Antônio Carlos Jobim in 1960. Gilberto provided the lyrics in the 1963 recording that was released in the 1964 album Getz/Gilberto, referring to Stan Getz and João Gilberto, who helped create the basso nova sound.

Alberto was then married to Astrud, and it was this album's success is -- according to the Keeper of All Knowledge -- what launched the basso nova craze in the United States, not to mention Astrud's singing career.

For the above version, I am attributing to Astrud's role as singer in the Getz Au Go Go album that was based on two live performances of the New Stan Getz Quartet in 1964 and released later that year. However, I'm not entirely sure on that point.

*******

Next up, another lovely piece by Dancing Fantasy ...


"The Secret Island" by Dancing Fantasy from the duo's Back Home release (2015)

I featured Dancing Fantasy most recently this past April in this "JBSN" entry and, as I mentioned there, the duo's "Seasons" is still one of my favorite. I have featured that one almost four years ago in this installment my Friday Night Musical Interlude series, the predecessor to my JBSN series.

The video features just one still image of a couple in stand-alone hammock contraption on a beach along a tranquil ocean at what I presume to be dusk.

*******

Now for something new and really wonderful that I have been eager to feature since I discovered it a few weeks ago (except life intervened) ...


"Hold My Hand" by Jess Glynne from her debut album I Cry When I Laugh (2015)

We last heard Jess Glynne in this JBSN edition in the Nov. 2014 as the singer in the equally terrific Clean Bandit song "Rather Be" with its awesome video that I reran in this edition just over a year ago.

Jess Glynne reminds me of my friend Miss Wendy, who once again is off in some far-and-away country doing God's Work, so to speak, helping refugees.

OK, that's all for now. Please see my previous entry for a general update and commentary.

--Regulus

No comments: