Friday, June 24, 2016

Friday Night Low-Key Blog Feature: Playing In the Tune of June

A cumulonimbus cloud (thunderstorm) with flattened anvil top is illuminated by the setting Sun as seen from Gainesville, Va., June 21, 2016.

This picture was taken by John Stiteler and reposted in this CWG entry from his Facebook page.

*******

Friday evening.

This is a genuinely very brief update.

I'm home on this early summer Friday evening. It is a warm and humid evening and there is a brief gentle downpour occurring outside here where I live in the District -- at the west end of the "U Street Corridor" and just outside the northeast edge of the Dupont Circle neighborhood.

(I hate how Blogger always underlines "Dupont" in red because it thinks the spelling is wrong, preferring the DuPont family name spelling with capitalized "P," but that's not how the D.C. neighborhood or traffic circle spells it.)

Speaking of Dupont Circle ...

Dupont Circle, Washington D.C., Friday evening, 6:15PM June 24, 2016.

*******

It's about 80F (well, a bit lower now in the rain) and the dew point is nearly 70F, so it is quite muggy.

This rain shower is from a dissipating thunderstorm -- now free of any lightning or thunder, as near as I can tell -- that drifted due south out of Maryland. The looped Sterling LWX radar image shows this well. I doubt this shower will hold together to reach KDCA to drop any measurable rainfall there.

Sterling (LWX) NWS standard version composite radar looped 6:53PM - 7:21PM June 24, 2016.

*******

My previous entry on the stunning Brexit vote results -- "Leave" won 52% to 48% (oooh, and all the agonized handwringing today by the corporate media) -- preempted a planned regular update that I intended to post.

I had a good gym workout last night, featuring my usual jog (reaching 6.69 miles over 60 minutes plus 5 minute cool down), moderate-to-almost-strenuous weightlifting, and a core routine of the sort I haven't done of late, all capped by a brief stint in the steam room and a short swim.

The fountain at Dupont Circle, Washington, D.C., 6:15PM June 24, 2016.

*******

My weekend plans starting with tonight are:

For tonight, I'm going to get dinner at Logan Tavern and go to one of my usual places (Trade and/or No. 9).

Saturday: Gym tomorrow, laundry and blog entry tomorrow evening, Old Ebbitt Old Bar late night dinner and one of my regular places. In other words, the usual, although I am tempted instead to take a long walk during the day and skip the gym and just enjoy the summertime.

*******

June 23, 2016 Pearls Before Swine

Click on image for larger version.

*******

Sunday: Lunch with DD up in Rockville. I'm actually going there to see his two very old and decrepit basenji dogs, one in particular that probably doesn't have much time left. Obviously, I'm not going to say that to his two young children that that's why I'm there.

Thereafter, I'll perhaps take a walk.

Speaking of pets, I would like to post this picture ...

This is a picture of my good friend MM's cat "Atticus" in the bathtub. He is an adorable cat that is also unusual in that he quite likes water. He has a companion cat at home.

*******

I need to find time this weekend as well to work on something that I didn't quite finish this week, an important work assignment for the federal client.

OK, that's all for now. My planned next update is tomorrow evening -- at least a jukebox Saturday night feature if not an additional update.

--Regulus

No comments: