Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Centuries of June*, Revisited: A Rain-Washed Washington Summer World

*With apologies to Keith Donohue.

Willow trees and the Arlington Cemetery Memorial Bridge as seen from the Mt. Vernon bicycle trail, Arlington, Va., 4:52PM June 13, 2016.

This is another picture from my Monday, June 13th day-off-from-work walk.

*******

I meant to update the blog last night but simply did not get around to it.

We had a series of thunderstorms sweep across the Baltimore/Washington area yesterday that dropped 1 to 2 inches of rain area-wide including the following amounts:

KDCA: 0.99"
KBWI: 1.03"
KIAD: 1.69" (KIAD is at 5.70" for the month so far and 6.11" higher than the KDCA year-to-date total at 23.37")
KDMH: 1.08"

Thus, KDCA was the lowest, again, and it managed to be as close to 1" as possible without actually reaching 1" -- a statistical difference since the daily total is in a different "bin."

Sterling (LWX) NWS weather advisories, updated 7:52PM June 21, 2016.

There was a flash flood warning in effect for D.C. at this point.

*******

Today, it is back to full sunshine, a bit less humid, and temperatures forecasted to reach near 90F. However, another bout of heavy rain / t-storms is forecasted for tomorrow and there is already a flash flood watch in effect for the northern half of West Virginia, southwestern Pennsylvania, and western Maryland.

The Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in standard base mode reflectivity looped 1:55PM - 2:34PM June 21, 2016.

This particular cluster of storms missed downtown D.C. and National Airport but really hit the Maryland suburbs and over to the Baltimore area including where my mom lives near BWI Airport.

*******

It being a non-gym night, yesterday after work, I went to Trade for a drink and then to No. 9, where I had the two-for-one and watched some of the retro 80s videos being played upstairs. Thereafter, I stopped at Floriana for one last drink, but that was (predictably) more in the category of a typical 17th Street outcome for me. I probably should just avoid any place on 17th Street outright, just like I avoid LL.

The Sterling (LWX) NWS radar in standard base mode reflectivity looped 4:55PM - 5:33PM June 21, 2016.

This smaller but still drenching cluster of thunderstorms hit D.C. and the southern suburbs.

Why can't this happen in Los Angeles -- repeatedly? (After all, we are getting near the time of Blade Runner.)

*******

While at Floriana, I did have a nice chat with two Danish women who came inside to buy drinks for their table outside. One asked me if it was always so humid in D.C. in the summer -- most of the time, yes, I replied -- and another told me I would very much like Copenhagen. We had the obligatory high-liberal brief mention of Donald Trump (stateside) and the awful refugee crisis (in Europe). We were all for Hillary and I pointed to the bar ceiling -- covered in Hillary posters.

Stormy sky above L'Enfant Promenade, Washington, D.C., 1:55PM June 21, 2016.

*******

I'm actually looking forward to moving out of D.C. and to suburban Maryland -- somewhere in Montgomery County -- with Quill, perhaps later this year or early next year. It'll be a relief to finally be out of D.C. proper, except to go to work. As for work, it is fine. I think.

View from my office at L'Enfant Plaza, Washington, D.C., 2:51PM June 21, 2016.

The view is south down the Washington Channel and, further in the distance, the Potomac River itself but all the construction activity along the Waterfront -- which my low-resolution cellphone camera tried to capture -- is steadily blocking the view as new buildings rise. There are crane towers everywhere. (The image does not capture the skeletal framework of the crane towers, just the weights, loads, and control areas, hence the strangeness of the picture.)

*******

I should mention that it was Monday night while in the swimming pool at the YMCA that I had a bit of a moment of transcendental realization of the full import of the two bad events that happened just this month, and that I was fortunate -- or, maybe I should say -- someone or something beyond myself (perhaps just the Universe itself) was looking out for me.

The setting Sun looking "down" Massachusetts Ave from Thomas Circle, Washington, D.C., 8:04PM June 21, 2016.

*******

I will not be repeating those two events. (At some point, I'll go into more detail about the overnight GWU hospital stay, the astronomical cost of it, the bulk of which I'm hoping my insurance will cover, and what a bad patient I was. But not now.)

The Human Rights Campaign building, 17th St and Rhode Island Ave NW, Washington, D.C., 5:23PM June 19, 2016.

The west side features window-sized photographs of the 49 killed in the Orlando Pulse nightclub terrorist attack

*******

My work/life schedule is to go out with Andrea this evening after work -- I do enjoy seeing her very much -- and go to the gym tomorrow night. However, I'm flat broke until Friday, or rather, I only have enough money for one day rather than two days, so we'll have to see if that comes to pass.

OK, that's all for now. I'm unsure if my next update will be tonight or tomorrow night after the gym.

--Regulus

No comments: